The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Effect to share: JokeKings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Bad form, Cain... this isn't the Penguin Forum.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
mario_wong
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
43 Posts

Profile of mario_wong
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 13:51, Cain wrote:
Oh, I could do that in my sleep... while I'm dreaming. Seriously, does that make anyone hard? Be honest, you at least get half-stock.

I wonder what 'half-stock' mean? My English is not good.

On 2005-09-15 07:16, KRZ4kardz wrote:
Mario how long have you been doing miracles such as this...I mean how long have you been into card magic? By the looks of your favorite magicians you have learned well...Just curious. Smile
<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
[/quote]

I think it doesn't matter when I start or how long have I been into maigc. What matter is how much I put into magic. I would have to say I practise a lot! Everyday for several hours. Just becuase I started magic late.
Favorite Magicians:
Daryl
Larry Jennings
Allan Ackerman
Micheal Ammar
Bill Marlone
Lennart Green
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3331 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Awesome. I'm packing it all now!
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 09:23, Reis O'Brien wrote:
Bad form, Cain... this isn't the Penguin Forum.

Oh, c'mon. It's all in good fun.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
BEE YOU TEE FULL
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tophat
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of tophat
Okay, a few comments on the handling. I don't know how long you've been at this, or what school you come from, but you've almost certainly encountered the phrase "Don't run when nobody is chasing you" (That’s from memory, so it may be a slight paraphrase of Dai Vernon) I personally, would not be performing as many moves that prove what you are doing is real, but that's perhaps more a matter of style, preference. One thing I have noticed, and would recommend you consider chaging is that many magicians, such as Darwin Ortiz use unnatural and awkward moves to "prove", such as, the spinning double you use. Now, you're not awkward; I'm just using the move as an example. In reference to Ortiz, I think it may have something to do with being an advanced cardman, which seems to be the common link, and wanting to display your skill The hands and body looks tight, cramped or as though you are trying to fit everything you are working with into a small area. This give you odd-looking displays in ways that real people would never handle cards. None of the "proving" moves you did were cramped or awkward, but it seems to me that when you are using a funny move to verify something, people may get suspicious. Using displays like that would probably be fine and would even add to a performance if used once or twice, but I wouldn't use them as much as most do. Additionally, I would probably not use as many different fancy color changes as you do, but again, that’s style. Obviously, keep in mind that nobody’s word is god. Very nice effect BTW.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone with the comment on Ortiz, but how else is magic going to improve? Too many times, I heard, or read someone critiquing someone and saying “I won’t mention his name, but…” Many magicians of the past were known for never speaking badly of anyone, (Dai Vernon, I believe, with the exception of Houdini, and at least several others from his times. If I am wrong on this count, please let me know) and while you should always find something that a performer did right, and compliment them on it, that “nice” trait simply doesn’t help anyone.

Tophat
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
A very nice effect, Mario, and well executed!

It was a nice change to hear the backing music you chose, rather than techno, and it went well with the effect. I liked some of the flourishy moves, the spin, etc. However, what did seem a little out of place was some of occasions when you took a card and placed it at the bottom of the stack, turned the stack over, then showed them. I know why you're doing it, but it didn't look flourishy, it didn't look natural; it just looked clumsy next to some of the other moves.

I'm not sure there's any need to turn the backs red, once you've showed them to have changed to blue.

The key to this may be overproving, as was mentioned earlier.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Yes, I agree Tophat. Coddling doesn't improve anyones skills. In fact I think it hinders ones improvement. Honest and constructive criticism is good. But simply stating that the moves are bad or the routine stinks doesn't help either. Pointing out what you perceive to be "wrong" with the routine and explaining why and what you would do to improve the trick is constructive and helpful. What you point out in your post is what I consider constructive criticism.

Just one mans opinion.

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
aka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of aka
LIANG ZHU!!!!

hahaha.. I LOVE THE MUSIC! very smooth handling, as well =D well coordinated with the music.
*past the point of no return~~
snarfer
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
53 Posts

Profile of snarfer
Dude, that is real magic. Congrats!!! I also saw your video on passing doubles. Very good stuff!!! Keep it up!
rboeskin
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rboeskin
Wow I like it a lot. The music is great and the same old music that other musicians use, real cool.

And very nice handling by the way.

Is that all sleight of hand? Please let me know.
rboeskin
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
I enjoyed that very much thank you Mario.

rboeskin your lucky Di passed away because he would have told you to leave magic. Im not as mean, stick around you will learn.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Rboeskin-

I think it might be safe to say that it was all slight of hand. It was a very well done routine. The speakers blew on my computer a while back but they should be replaced soon... If anything aside from slight of hand was used, my guess would be possibly a piece of sticky tape if anything, though I am sure it could be done with out any.

Derek Merdinyan
rboeskin
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rboeskin
Ok Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

The trick is really nicley done.
rboeskin
Dean Noakes
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK.
93 Posts

Profile of Dean Noakes
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 12:39, mario_wong wrote:
http://www.ilvoeyou.net/friends/wan/14-9......ings.wmv
Thanks for comments and suggestions!

The boy done good!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Effect to share: JokeKings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL