The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Exposed for all to see (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Just got back from a psychology class I am taking and lo' and behold. tricks have been exposed in the text book. From ESP cards (refered to as Zener Cards) to psychokenisis, it was all there, in black and white, exposing Uri Gellar and Banachek alike. Everyone was skeptical so I offered to do some metal bending, in the same situations exposed in the book so maybe I can reel them back into believing it is "real" Anyone ever run across things being exposed ina different setting than the old stand by "i saw he did it"?
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
For some reason college professors seem to have a penchant for exposing magic. I saw a guy do about 10 minutes of back palm productions, with step by step breakdowns of the moves. For no reason whatsoever.

I think I read on this site somewhere about another professor exposing magic in his class for no reason at all. Not tied to the subject matter, just a few minutes of "look how clever I am" and then explaining the entire bit.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Well, this exposing has a purpose I suppose. It was about preceptual accuity and the like. Innate perception etc, so to psychologist, I guess this can help with dealing with certain situations. It just seemed odd to me to find info like this in a psychology book.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I hear ya. When I mentioned professors I didn't mean to put your example with that. Your's was in a text book. But it brought to mind that professor with the backpalm moves that I had seen. The guy I'm talking abouts demo was apropos of nothing.
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Hmmmm, sounds like a guy who NEEDS something else to be impressive other than himself. Slieght of hand envy LOL. Maybe he saw Sankey's firestarters and didn't realize the explanations weren't for EVERYONE. Really smart people have been known to have no common sense. I ramble, sorry....
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Who cares? Magicians act like secrets are the most important in the world. The world of magic is not going to be doomed because of this exposure. Non magicians usually forget anyway.

I had this friend once who wanted to learn card manipulation. I let him borrow my Jeff McBride Card Manipulation tapes vol. 1,2,3. He viewed them for a week. I took him to see Jeff McBride when he was in town, ironically, about 2 weeks later. After seeing him perform this friend turns to me and askes, "Where is he getting all those cards from?". My jaw hit the floor.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I don't even remember my psychology techers name, yet alone anything in the text books ... no need to worry about it. Smile

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't think things like this are gonna "doom the world of magic" I just think the guy was an idiot.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
For the less than learned teacher, it's a simple way to seem knowledgeable and to offer the students a feeling of being clever.

The actual cognitive and emotional methods are far simpler than any tricks we use and the body's perceptual mechanics are more amazing than our little tricks anyway.

How to hook them back... very simple... use their emotions of sympathy and hook thier minds with facts you SHOULD not know.

Get some serious personal stuff on the teacher and maybe a student in the room next door, IE lift their wallet and do some research...

then when set and of course you replace anything you accessed to collect your data (intelligence gathering here)..

at the right moment you turn the room into your stage. Do what you can do WELL. Light candles if you have to, hear voices, bang your head against the wall, and generally play the part of someone who actually hears voices or sees things or ... well you MUST have read the stories by now

And offer them a memorable experience.

Remember, no giggling! So many magical experiences are ruined by giggling and self congratulatory behavior. Just get your story together and perform it.

Side note, bleeding and projectile vomiting are good though also a health risk and might get you into an ambulence... which is really good if you have buddies in the EMS and they will help with this performance.

Okay?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Makes sense Jonathan, I'll have to get out that pickpocketingbook. It's good to have people like you (not a bad thing) who think like you do. It helps us lewss creative people be devious. Thanks
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Exposed for all to see (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL