The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fright (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Great stuff here... Robert Blake had hit on a point that is very important. K.I.S.S. You really need to keep it simple to start with. Pick out your best 3 tricks and do 'em. If 3 is too many, then do 2. Just getting out there and doing is the only way to build confidence and get the show going.

Don't worry about the hat at first, just do the show and do the best you can... Over and over and over again. Before long, a day or two, you will be adding the 3rd trick and doing a decent hat pass. It is just the repetition that will make it happen. As soon as you are doing those tricks in your sleep, you will have it down and your nerves will be just fine.

But also remember that the best of us get in situations all the time that make the nerves build. I just tell myself that it is excitement, not nerves. This works for me and after 32 years doing this stuff, I still deal with "excitement".

Enjoy the journey and HAVE FUN...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Drinks always help. but remember that even if you mess up a sleight(not totally,but they see something happen) it's not big deal. thay do not know sleight of hand. so what if they saw SOMETHING? they still won't be able to figure out what you did. relax and just know that this is your thing and they know it. they are not better than you at this.

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Always realize a few things as well. 1) the audience is never really out ther wqatching you hoping you will fail. They want to have fun with you and 2) the only way they know you made a real mistake is if you tell them you made a mistake.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
[quote]On 2005-09-21 18:53, Whiterabbit wrote:
Quote:

Rome was not built in a day...

Best Wishes

Prove it. *wink, wink*

I like the advice

If you have to do it 2 AM in the morning you could, flawlessly. You should have a pretty good mental picture in your head on what you do, what you audience does (after a while) and what the audeince should and WILL see. Your audience wants you to suceed.
Tarbell!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Also get to know them. Introduce yourself and get all there names well not all of them of course but remember a few. For example a character that I love from TV is Doug Heffernon from King of Queens he always makes friends where ever he goes and he is a big guy . someone like that would be self coinsious but not him so .Make yourself someone that people want to know and meet.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Thanks Paisa23, I will remember that. Also, Thanks to all of you that have replied so far, I hope your info will work.

Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Don't worry about messing up. I saw some footage of David Williamson pull a kid up out of the audience for a routine. He then said to the kid "do you see the THREE cards here?" and the kid said "no, there's four" The kid then proceeded to pick up the gaffed card David had on the table. Anyone else would have died, but David took the card from the kid and said " okay you can go back to your seat now" the crowd was laughing, but then David said to th kid as he went back to his seat, " Hey kid! How's my career?" Man it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen a magician do, and the crowd loved it. They probably thought it was part of the show. So, it just goes to show you that only YOU know when things go wrong.

Oh yeah, and DRINK!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

So, what I'm thinking I should keep in mind is: Have fun. If you mess up don't say "I messed up". Anything else?

Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
IF you mess up, make it funny. Bob sheets has a brief discussion about this on his rope thru body DVD. You shouldn't be doing things where you'll be messing up enough that people notice something, though.

What kind of things are you "messing up".

As far as drinking. DON'T!
It's great to laugh and talk about and I enjoy a beer as much as anyone but
it's definitly a path you don't want to go down. The performer that learns
to drink before they perform. Sad. Of course, drink water and lots of it.
That will reduce the nerves. Take a deep breath and a swig.

Mario's post where he says he's kidding? Believe that one.

If you're messing up? Do different tricks?

Use your personality. You can get a lot of mileage out of a TT and a silk
if you put your mind to it. You won't mess that up.

Learn an easy rope trick.

Torn and resotred toilet paper.

2 in the hand, one in the pocket.

sponge balls for god's sake.

Watch videos of entertaining magicians. Pick up ideas, take notes. Write a script.
Do you have a notebook?

Again. You should not be messing up. Everyone messes something up but 99% of the time it goes unnoticed. You should have absolute confidence that the effects you're picking ... you WILL NOT mess up. IF you pick effects you know that you will nail 100%, your confidence will go up, your nerves will go down, and you won't mess up. If you're taking stuff out there that you've not really got down pat, of course your'e going to worry about messing up. And that will make you nervous,
and it goes on and on and on.

So what effects are you doing that you're having trouble with..... and why?

Oh, yeah, and don't drink.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Messing up (as long as is doesn't happen often,shows you are human).How you handle it is quite important.What I do,is pause,smile,and say(seriously) would you like to see a picture of my kid's...of course I remove the Kid's card(baby goats) from my wallet,this usually gets a laugh,and I follow up with "no,this is my real Pride and Joy(Classic Henny Youngman biz card)more laughs,and then I go into my next effect.Corny,yes.However it beats standing there looking sheepish...sorry about all the farm animal references. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A little nervousness before a show puts a sharp edge on what you do. That's not a bad thing. A lot of nervousness will put a blunt edge on what you do. That is a bad thing.

So, the first thing is to make sure you know your material cold.

The next is your own attitude about what you do. If what you do is good enough to offer to people, then you have no problem.

Remember to do magic for them, not TO them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
I was just kidding about drinking. It is true that you should be doing effetcs that you will %99.999 of the time not mess up, but if you do, they'll never know if you play it right. Then again, getting them to drink always helps too.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Drinking before a show is verboten...no...nada..never...well I have heard of some doing it..Picture this...youve finished for the day and are in the pub with fellow workers and after 4 guinesses...you dcide to go out and do one more...BAM...its a killer show and your hat is fat.Only once during the Edin Festival, but there you go. Nerves are a way of keeping you on your toes, be sure of your material, but as has been said before, its not brain surgery
Just my tuppence worth
James James
AKA vernon
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Just as a testament to the truth of the advice, do it more and do things you know cold, here is my 2 cents:
I remember being extremely nervous teaching 5th and 6th grade Sunday School but now 8 years later I have no problem with it. I can even do a few standard sleights for this group... no problem, but as soon as I try something new, the butterflies are back in full force.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

I'm thinking about doing an easy trick with no slieght of hand at the beginning. Then, after my Frights gone, I'll start doing good Slieght of hand Magic. Sound like a good Idea?

Alex
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Yes, that is a good approach.

I still do many self working effects (after more than 20 years in magic) just because I can spend more time focusing on the presentation and engaging my audience more than perfecting the knuckle busting. I am not encouraging performimg without practicing, but you can't practice forever. At some point you need to take it out into the light of day.

Easy stuff doesn't mean that it doesn't have an impact on the audience. Try something like the Stop Light trick. It sells for $5 or $6 and is a great investment because it is self working, but the "magic" happens in the spectator's hands, and the impact far exceeds the effort. So the mechanics are simple, and you can focus on just having fun.

Then once you get comfortable with that one, add another one, and pretty soon you will have a routine.

I also do a bit of skill work, but mostly when I am performing for other magicians, and I will bust out a trick after only just learning it, knowing I will get criticism (Advice) that will make it better.

Another piece of advice that I just recalled. Don't perform for family, until you are good enough to perform for strangers. Even then, it is often unproductive as they get tired of seeing stuff, and knew you when you could tell a card from a carp, so they wont really appreciate what you do anyway - for the most part.

So perform for strangers. They don't know you just learned, and they don't know what it should look like. So give them the best you have, and you will be pleasantly surprised by their reactions. And if you mess up, Oh Well.... You will probably never see them again anyway Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

BroDavid, I'm going to be doing my first show in a few hours so I don't have time to buy something.

Alex
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No you don't. Have fun. Good luck.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Alex,

Well how did the show go?
Hope you had a great time and knocked them out.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
But this probably won't be your last show, right?

My point wa not to go and buy those things, although you could. It was to use simple props that work them selves, as much as possible. Or, at least until you are comfortable enough and have practiced enough to do the more difficult stuff.

So, tell us how it went...

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fright (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL