The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fright (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
What do you guys do if you have trouble doing magic for people you don't really know? I sometimes mess up and make it look horrible. What should I do to get rid of my Stage Fright while on the Street?

Anything advice will help,
Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Alex,

I feel your pain.

I had to do magic for a commercial the other day (my first ever) and was unbelievably nervous and what got me through was to just slow down, relax, chat and joke with the audience and get to know them first, smile and do magic that I'd gotten down rock solid.

If you connect with the audience and do what you're comfortable with, you are one very big step along the way towards doing well.

Hope this helps.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Drink Smile
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Alex,

This feeling in your body is good. Basically your mind tells your body that you are about to begin an affort (or effort).

How to lesson this feeling is first take care that what tricks you DO you can do it in your sleep. My teacher said to me "IF I WAKE YOU UP 2 IN THE MORNING YOU HAVE TO DID WITHOUT PROBLEMS"

if you know what you do is good and you had succes with it you are one step further.

STATE OF MIND:
if you think "this is going to be hard - the people don't look friendly - do these people want to see something" ...etc. etc. you are telling you body this is no good. if you stil do it and you bomb you will get a bad experience. if you don't step over it that feeling will come back.

so what to do:
1) know your trickS out cold
2) don't do to much. KISS (keep it simple stupid)
3) set 1 goal you want to reach. like getting 20 people / do 3 tricks / get an crowd
4) bring yourself in a positive state of mind. think of succesful performances and how they felt.
5) always remember: if it don't work - stop get drink and try again. sometimes people or time or place can be wrong not you.
6) give the street time. you will need at least 2 seasons to learn the streets.
7) HAVE FUN - HAVE FUN - HAVE FUN - HAVE FUN
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
You have spent a lot of time learning your magic, hours and hours for every minute that you are performing. This is a gift that you have hand-crafted for your audience. You are not there to prove that you are better or more clever than they are. You are there to give them a gift. Give it to them with love and everything will be fine.

Yours,

Paul
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Thanks Guys. This advice is really helpful.

Still, keep posten,
Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Alex,

If you want to share my table next weekend that'd be cool, come on down.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 06:46, drwilson wrote:
You have spent a lot of time learning your magic, hours and hours for every minute that you are performing. This is a gift that you have hand-crafted for your audience. You are not there to prove that you are better or more clever than they are. You are there to give them a gift. Give it to them with love and everything will be fine.

There are always plenty of good ideas and comments posted at the Café', but this is one of the finest posts I've ever read. Bravo! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Alex I thought the addvice "Drink" was good advice as well.
Mario Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 04:50, Mario Morris wrote:
Drink Smile

You took the words right out of my mouth, and now it's all over the front of my shirt...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 07:47, sethb wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 06:46, drwilson wrote:

There are always plenty of good ideas and comments posted at the Café', but this is one of the finest posts I've ever read. Bravo! SETH

Ditto!

I'd also like to add that if you get a chance to talk to people in other professions (e.g. medical doctors or pilots) you'll find that the first time most of them start practicing their chosen careers they're nervous as heck. Getting some "flight time" will ease your nerves.

I also like what Michael Ammar told us at a Castle lecture one time: When he first started out professionally he was like a duck; looking at him you'd think that he was cool, calm, and collected, but inside his mind was running a million miles an hour. The duck looks like everything is cool when seen from the top, but underwater his little legs are paddling like there's no tomorrow. Fake it until you make it.
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-15 10:24, Mario Morris wrote:
Thanks Alex I thought the addvice "Drink" was good advice as well.
Mario Smile

I'm not old enough to drink(if you meant alchahol), so I didn't take that advice.
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 07:03, lastnitesfun wrote:
Alex,

If you want to share my table next weekend that'd be cool, come on down.

Mark

I'd love to. It would be a great way to get rid of my Fright!

Alex
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I am pretty sure the suggestion to drink was a joke.At least I hope so.I enjoy a cocktail or two,but NEVER before performing.This could be perhaps the biggest mistake you could ever make.
Let's say you are very nervous before a show and you have a couple of belts.You now do not feel so nervous.From then on you will be taking your'medicine'before every show..and this will only cause you problems.(possibly big problems)
As stated earlier(Robert Blake)it is best to fight your fright by knowing your routines cold.It is natural to feel a little nervous before a gig.Once you get going it will pass,and after your show you will feel like a million bucks knowing you did it without any help.
Now if you wish (and are of age)you can celebrate a bit,and think about how you can do things even better the next time. All the Best. Rich
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You can drink a Shandy.
Mario
PS Alex I am just Kidding with you. Smile
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 15:53, MJ Marrs wrote:
I'd also like to add that if you get a chance to talk to people in other professions (e.g. medical doctors or pilots) you'll find that the first time most of them start practicing their chosen careers they're nervous as heck. Getting some "flight time" will ease your nerves.

And don't forget that if you mess up, you aren't killing a patient or crashing a plane. We take our art seriously, but be lighthearted! Smile
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

On Friday, is there anything I should deffently should keep in mind?

Alex
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 18:43, Mario Morris wrote:
You can drink a Shandy.
Mario
PS Alex I am just Kidding with you. Smile

Shirley Temples?
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 17:35, the_houdini_jester wrote:
On Friday, is there anything I should deffently should keep in mind?

Alex

I think Robert said "Have Fun". If you do that, you can bond. If you have fun and smile, the audience is more inclined to like you. If you have fun, you'll keep at it and improve.

My advice is bond with the audience, do what you know, don't let people hurry or fluster you, take your time, if there's a foul up - relax and joke about it (a few lines are useful here), and as Robert said "Have fun". (Actually I thought Robert's and the other posts were great)

It won't be perfect, but it will probably be better this time. And if that happens every time, you'll probably get to where to be as long as you have fun.

Rome was not built in a day...

Best Wishes
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Enjoy yourself. WOW that was dirty. But you know what I mean a lot of time if and when I mess up they don't know I have. Just pick your self up and press on. Im in the military so sometime I have to perform for those who's rank are way higer then mine. Those are some time wher my nerves get to me. Confidence is another gem. Learn it in life and in your art. Im now trying to become my own magician. Not just one who learns effect with there patter. Im trying to come up with my own stories and persona. Beleave me that's even harder.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Interesting....I don't like performing for people I know. Strangers don't know my true self so they won't compare to the stage character, give me a room full of strangers any day.
Steve V
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Fright (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL