The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Spider Surprise Box! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
In reading the new David Ginn newsletter, I see he's advertising a Spider Surprise Box. For those who thought The Web by Jim Pace was a little "dangerous" to use (depending on the victim), I can just imagine the heart attacks this little prop will cause! :0

Anyone tried it out yet? Sounds perfect for a halloween show (where people expect scary things to happen).

Brian
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Hello Brian. I saw some fellow bowlers try this out on their female partners last year. The gentleman bought it at a craftshop in MO that was beautifully made of wood and contained a mouse (realistic looking to boot!)and it caused one lady to wet her knickers. My my, it was well made and worked flawlessly. I can only imagine a large trantula looking spider coming out and touching someones hand. Most folks threw or dropped the box as they were scared. My thoughts were....1.) how long will this box last with all the dropping it takes.... and 2.) It happens so fast and seems real, could this cause some health problems for "heart patients"?

By the way, I'm still waiting for mine. hehehe.
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
Hate it hate it - li ove everything david ginn sells and support him 100% BUT I HAD A PERSON throw mine on the surprise and broke it!!!!!!!!!! aghghghghghghghghghghghghg
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 00:42, Snidini wrote:

By the way, I'm still waiting for mine. hehehe.

You nasty person! Smile

I was debating getting one. Haven't decided yet. It sure would make for a nice change in the routines for adults. As that world famous children's magician, Monty Python, used to say, "And now, for something completely different!"

Brian
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 00:56, krantis wrote:
Hate it hate it - li ove everything david ginn sells and support him 100% BUT I HAD A PERSON throw mine on the surprise and broke it!!!!!!!!!! aghghghghghghghghghghghghg

Which is why Ginn says, in his newsletter, that he's starting placing his hand under the box. This prevents it from crashing to the floor when the spectator drops it. Unless, of course, they *throw* it!

Next day's headline: "Kid's Magician Killed by Spiderwoman!"

Brian
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

There is a seller on that famous auction site (I'm still not sure why we can't mention it's name). He's selling the Spider Box made of nice wood. I purchased one and just received it, and it's a thing of beauty! I have the red plastic one that David Ginn sells and it's okay, but the door doesn't open smoothly. The beautifully stained one I bought on auction opens so easily!

I noticed he has more for sale. If you do a search for Spider box, you'll find it.

Ron
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hey Ron-

I tried to search for it as you said, however couldn't find it.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I found some and wound up buying one. Who knew? Anyway, there are still a couple on there but they are bid only.

Good Luck!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Try Item number: 180216801233

B
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Here is a "BUY IT NOW"
Item number: 160204840155

B
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Yes, that's it, Brad. I bought the dark stained one that's currently being sold right now. I bought mine through a Buy-it-Now auction. I contacted the seller and he's making a number of these, so perhaps you can contact him, Frank. They really are worth getting - the dark stained one was $32.00 on Buy-it-Now.

Ron
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Thanks for the numbers, I found them.

That's a big jump from a $9.95 for a regular one to a Buy it Now $32 for a Dark Stained one!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I cheaped out on this just because I knew it was going to be thrown down many times.
But the one Ron purchased is NICE!

Thanks for the heads up Ron!

Brad
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I have the DG model and find it to be reliable. The action works smooth, I have not had to wax or 'grease' the sliding door.
I use it for a character building show with a Rain Forest theme. The "smallest" creature in the Rain Forest Kingdom is the hero and saves the day, by finding the Queen's previously "lost" golden necklace.
The volunteer wears a balloon spider hat and works the "magic". I adapted the David Ginn routine he suggests in KidBiz2. The volunteer chooses one of six envelopes with a "message" inside. After showing the other five empty, the message, written in spider script (of course), says "Look in the RED box" - which has been in plain sight the entire program.
I would further support the previously mentioned thought of you holding onto the bottom of the box to help eliminate the thing getting dropped, smashed or thrown.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
Ok I may be over reacting but I have a problem with this whole idea. I knwo its fun to see a responce etc. BUT (and yes I have a big butt) Has anyone considered the fear factor here I mean the real thing arachnaphobia etc. I think this could scare the crap out of a kid or adult if he or she was of that persuasion. I know I know never happened b4 etc. But I am sure it has and will. Like I say may be paranoid but I don't think scaring the living daylights out of a person is particularily entertaining especially when dealing with possible phobias etc.

that's my peice

Z
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Z - in that case, don't try "The Phobia Trick"....the spec gets to take an exploding card, real heart attack material!
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Not for everyone nor for every occasion. A good performer knows when, where, and who to use it on. Finding a small child who is timid inside a Church Sanctuary is probably a no-no!

Now for a comic club with a loud mouth man, who has a good sense of humor is absolutely FANTASTIC!

Its called Good Judgment! There's so little of it these day's.

B
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I'm an elementary school teacher, and took it with me to school today, and had a blast. No one got very really scared, but a few did scream. Then, most of them wanted to see it so they could do it to their friends (I didn't let them).

I think you do have to use a bit of judgement when doing it, but for the most part, I think it's real fun! I'm not sure if I'll use it in a show, but maybe I will.

phill: I really like your idea/routine. Thanks for sharing that.

Ron
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I'm Laughing Ron, because my wife wants to take mine to school to use on her High School Students. HA!

Brad
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I used to own a real Tarantula. She was huge. Lot's of people knew about it, and had seen it. She would molt and sometimes she would leave behind a near perfect replica of herself. I would take it in a box and scare my friends with it sometimes. I could have had a blast with the Spider Box! Of course, like Brad said, you need to use good judgement about when to do it. Personally, I would not do it any of my regular magic shows. At a Halloween show, or at one of my haunted houses is when I would use it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Spider Surprise Box! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL