The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Chinese Linking Rings: A Practical Approach by Bob White (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
631 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I can think of few effects that would be more difficult to teach on video than the Chinese Linking Rings. After watching this DVD for the first time a few nights ago, I am convinced that Bob and the crew at Scapegrace Pictures have created a DVD that not only clearly teaches the effect, but also teaches the management and subtlety that can take the effect to a higher level.

Bob has been performing magic since the age of 5. He has performed professionally for the last thirty years. The rings have always been part of his act..He has literally performed this effect thousands of times. It can be performed as a close up piece, a parlor piece, or as a stage piece.

The DVD opens with some comments on the rings themselves and a performance of a ring routine. This is a hefty DVD, it covers virtually all aspects of the rings. Bob has an encyclopedic knoweledge of the effect, and he holds NOTHING back. He includes all the various counts, links, unlinks, and displays that are part of the trick, and he also includes some ideas that are just fun to "mess around with".

Whatever ring routine you do, you WILL benefit from the DVD. There is something for everyone. Studying this DVD can only make your routine better. If you have ever seen Bob do the rings, I don't have to tell you how great this is... You already know it is worth at least double the asking price.

You can order the DVD from Bob at rhwhite1@swbell.net or you can get it from your favorite magic dealers. Below is the ad copy of the contents of the DVD(from Murphy's website).

Contents:

Key Rings
Counts (Drop&Odin)
Two-Ring Links
Crash Link
Twisting Link & Unlink
Swing Link
Pull-through Unlink
Turning the Rings
Spinning the Rings (Two Methods)
Mid-Air Three Ring Link
Three Ring Unlink
Rink's Interlude
Four Ring Links
Falling Ring (Two Methods)
Two in Two & Eight Places
Figures
Five Rings
Linking Six Rings
Endings (Vernon & Rink)
Threadbone Link
Mid-Air Link
Spinning Crash
Oversize Ring
Spectator Crash
...and much much more

Thanks,

Jordan Burgess
Frank Joglar
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
2 Posts

Profile of Frank Joglar
Jordan, I have mixed emotions about Bob's tipping his real work on palming and the rings. Those of us fortunate enough to have participated in one of the all-day seminars probably want to keep Bob's teaching to ourselves. Yet I am reminded of the old saying: "Those who like this sort of thing will like this sort of thing." The faithful will keep it tight. Now if we could only get Bob to tip his work on the Malini Egg Bag!
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
631 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Frank,

I think a lot of people have mixed feelings, but it is a good thing for the art of magic that someone who is experienced shares his knoweledge. Bob has a LOT of experience in all things magical. I know a lot of guys who think of him as strictly a "Card Guy", but Bob has some good work on LOTS of magic. I first met him at one of his all day seminars, which mostly covered card stuff, but(and this is a big "but")-the theories Bob offers in his seminar and lecture notes can be applied to ALL magic. Uniformity of action and naturalness are important concepts, and through some of his work I have a better understanding of magic.
I hope that everyone who has a set of rings will INVEST in this tape. The principles can be applied to all ring routines. Bob lecture notes and two DVD's have valuable information, and I know some of Bob's friends are reluctant to have it "Above Ground", but ultimately we all know it is a valuable contribution to the art.

Has anyone else got the DVD? I know Bob will be glad you liked it Frank.

Jordan
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
What's the cost for this DVD, and, is it a single DVD or a set of 2 or more DVDs?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
631 Posts

Profile of JordanB
You can order from Bob and it is $50; it is also available from several magic stores. You can also email Bob at rhwhite1@swbell.net ... Mike, it is a single CD;however, the length is approximately 90 minutes, so it is quite lengthy for single DVD. It is also reveiwed in the latest issue of MAGIC and in the November issue of Genii as well. If you do the rings, I would highly recommend it. I have seen Bob do the rings in person about six times and it is beautiful. If you ever plan on doing the rings, this is an investment that will defintely pay off. Let me know what you think of it when you see it.

Jordan
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-10-02 02:43, JordanB wrote:
You can order from Bob and it is $50; it is also available from several magic stores. You can also email Bob at rhwhite1@swbell.net ... Mike, it is a single CD;however, the length is approximately 90 minutes, so it is quite lengthy for single DVD. It is also reveiwed in the latest issue of MAGIC and in the November issue of Genii as well. If you do the rings, I would highly recommend it. I have seen Bob do the rings in person about six times and it is beautiful. If you ever plan on doing the rings, this is an investment that will defintely pay off. Let me know what you think of it when you see it.

Jordan

Thanks for the info, Jordan. Just to clear things up, is this a CD or a DVD? (You referenced both in your post.)

I don't "do" any linking rings yet. In fact, I don't even own a set of "regular-sized" rings. I do own a set of Ninja Rings and the Ninja Ring DVD and I am going to start practicing those. But, I keep hearing many members (whose opinions I respect) shouting the praises of the classic lining rings. Has got me curious and almost ready to take the plunge.

Thanks again for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
631 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Sorry, it is a single disc DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Chinese Linking Rings: A Practical Approach by Bob White (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL