The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Collapsible Fruit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
At a SYM meeting I heard of something called collapsible fruit that looks very real, I work with no jacket and and loathe pocket bulges. The said the fruit could clip on to your side pocket. Anyone know where to get these or have experience using them?
Tarbell!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have had latex fruit in the past that really didn't look very realistic. I haven't seen any new stuff at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had several latex items (fruit and otherwise) made by Owen, and they were all best used from a stage.

Sounds like a situation where you want it all. There was a time when many cups and balls routines were performed seated at a table. The Mendoza routine is one such. That is a solution to the problem of hiding the loads. A pouch is also a solution, as is a servante, as are smaller cups, therefore smaller loads. Magic is largely about covering flaws, and there are many ways to skin this cat.

Related to collapsible items possibly good for cup and ball work: sponge items... the only really good thing I've seen were the Finn Jon tennis balls as sold by Stevens. The problem was that when they first came out, tennis balls were a cream color. The sponge ones looked excellent. Soon after, tennis balls changed color and, oh well...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I thought I had posted a method for making your own collapsible fruit. If not, I will do so again.

Polyfoam carves fairly easily with an electric knife. It is kind of risky, so you don't want to hold onto the piece of foam with one hand and carve with the other. You will need to attach it to a firm surface when you start to work on it.

Carve the fruit you want from foam. You can get big blocks of this at fabric stores. Once you have carved it, then paint it with liquid latex or latex base paint. It may take some doing to get the surface smooth, but it will happen. Once you have finished the job, which may take a couple of weeks, then punch a hole in the bottom of the fruit and it will be collapsible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'd rather use sponge balls than FAKE fruit that collapses. No impact and with sponge balls you can go into a routine with spectator's hand bits.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Another tip to add to Bill Palmers...wet and freeze the sponge also, very easy to cut into intricate shapes.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I think that collapsible fruit would take away from the effect of the final load. Collapsing fruit will most likely be the first thing that a spectator's brain thinks of, so the final load will lose a lot of impact if it does not fill the cup completely with a solid object.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Interesting posts. I think it was actually a custom made prop they had talked about... Well I'll describe it. I think it was Michael Ammar's Fab Fruit cut and designed so when not in a clip they expand.
Tarbell!
quickhands
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of quickhands
I don't want to sound naive due to my lack of experience but it would seem as if the collapsible fruit would detract from the effect rather than adding to it. What would be the advantage of doing using it? If the final size of the load is similar to the real fruit, being collapsible does not seem to add anything to the effect, or does it? And if it is larger, let's say a collapsible watermelon, it would be obvious that such a large item could not fit inside the cups arising suspicion. Is it that hard to load regular fruit or any other object into the cups? That would be the only advantage to doing this in my opinion.

Thanks,

QH.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
I agree that unless fake fruit is a perfect imitation even up close, its not worth using. On a recent trip to San Francisco, I an imitation potato from Misdirections that looks extremely real even in your hand. I thought it nice to possibly use in a chop cup routine, especially as it's very light and leaves no mess. Seems to be made out of some kind of papier mache type of material.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-05-01 16:34, ChristianR wrote:
Interesting posts. I think it was actually a custom made prop they had talked about... Well I'll describe it. I think it was Michael Ammar's Fab Fruit cut and designed so when not in a clip they expand.

I have several pieces of the Ammar fab fruit. I don't see how it could be made to collapse. It is a solid chunk of plastic that has been painted and textured.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
I have used the Fab Fruit in my routine for the past several years. Even though it is "fake" it looks very real. There are several sources online for fake food products that look extremely real, which are quite reasonably priced. As for fake vs real for the final load--honestly I have never found using the fakes to be a negative. If there is any question, I always just explain that I was tired of having to go to the grocery store to replace the rotten lemons--which most people understand. Additionally, the Fab fruit is quite solid, so when passed out for examination it really adds to the overall effect. As for using collapsable fruit, honestly, I think this would detract from the effect. As it is, the props are ungimmicked...when you use a collapsable final load I think it takes away from the "surprise" of a solid object appearing from nowhere. And if you use more than 3 pieces for your final load there is no way that more than one piece could be "stuffed" into the cups. Leave them guessing.

If your problem is "where do I put the loads?" here's what I do: I use my back pocket to store the loads first of all. Additionally, I prefer to do the effect short-sleeved, without a sportcoat. What I have found is that the appearance of a final load from seemingly nowhere to only add to the overall effect. I have often heard "where did you hide the lemons?" or "we didn't see any limes before the effect, where did they come from?". I also don't wear baggy pants, but rather nicely fitted slacks or even blue jeans to do the effect. If you can get used to loading out of your back pockets, it works well. Of course, I use the fab fruit, which fits in my back pockets...this may not work if you are using larger items. When I use street style cups, I will usually use a pouch. Frank Starsanic has an excellent supply of gibicieres (Bill, correct me on my spelling if I'm wrong) at his website.

It's really a matter of playing with the effect...as alluded to above there are many ways to do it, you just have to find what works best for you.
Best regards,

Jonathan Schweid, M.D.
President, JESmagic
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frank will correct you!

I think the Fab Fruit is fine as it comes. The new version of it is a bit smaller than the previous generation. It was designed to fit the Encore/Ammar cups. You can comfortably put two pieces of it in each jacket pocket and not have it too bulgy. It was designed specifically for that purpose.

I prefer to use ball holders under a jacket or vest if I'm not working from a gibeciere. I also use a table with an internal servante.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I have no problem using fake fruit if it looks real--as with the Ammar fruit and vegetables. They look real, and I use them all the time. As Bill said, I can't imagine there is a way to make these collapsible--they are solid. I don't perform with a jacket, so I use a vest and get the final loads from under the back of the vest using ball holders.

Making your own collapsible fruit from scratch would work, I suppose, but I can't imagine they would withstand much scrutiny. I think many who watch the cups and balls first suspect trick cups or fruit, so when they can see the final loads are solid (by bouncing a ball or dropping the load with a thud on the table), it takes that explanation away, making the effect all the more amazing. Otherwise, if the final loads are suspect for any reason, a lot of fine sleight-of-hand in one's cups and balls routine may be written off by spectators as no more than "trick fruit".

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
My Gawd...collapsible fruit...what next???

Just you wait and see, Dmann will come out with it I'm sure and it might even change colors!!!

Get with sponges man...this collapsible fruit thing is a total joke!!!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frankly, sponges if used for a final load really detract from the effect of the loads. They are obviously collapsible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Collapsible Fruit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL