The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cartomancy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Reading Tarot cards is fun, but reading regular playing cards is more versatile. Everywhere I go there is a deck of playing cards. Almost anytime, anywhere, I'm able to have a sitter shuffle the cards, I do a spread and give an interesting reading.

Cartomancy, like tarot, is the use of cards to divine the future. Both divination with playing cards and tarot can be referred to as cartomancy but typically the title refers to divination with regular playing cards.

Cartomancy works on the same ideas and principles as tarot except that, instead of having the minor and major arcana, it only has the equivalent of the minor arcana.

Divination with playing cards however is much more difficult in some ways because regular playing cards lack the pictures to act as clues to the meanings of the cards. Therefore, in order to help fellow performers with learning Cartomancy Overnight, I have added effective memory suggestions for people interested in this to better remember them!

I know people around here read the Tarot, Psy Cards and the various Fortune Telling cards available ... but how many read regular playing cards? Do you guys have a certain cleansing procedure for reading these? Or just take them out from a game of poker and do a reading?
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Here in my place... mostly fortune tellers here use playing cards instead of tarot since it very rare to find some of those here. when doing a reading they request for a new deck that haven't been opened and used for gambling. before they open the deck they say some latin prayers and procede to the reading. of course they hand you back your deck of cards.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Interesting. Thanks for that.

The reason I ask is because when reading the Tarot, some readers like to do certain cleansing procedures; some enjoy keeping their cards wrapped in silk to protect it from negative energies; some don't let others handle it at all.

I'm more casual in my approach to reading regular playing cards. I have on occasion gotten a deck of cards straight from a game of poker. What I like to do is handle the cards for a bit, shuffle and cut them, play with them ... I tell people I do this to rid the cards of negative energy and to get better connected with them. This is usually enough. I soon have the casual sitter shuffle and cut a few times, then we commence.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The deck of cards maybe annoted, some seers do that; I have a one century old annoted deck in my collection. I sometimes perform Zodiac with the annoted deck, it helps giving an interesting reading during the effect.
Or you may use a specialy nice deck, like the almost impossible to find Deck of Nall.
http://www.surnateum.org/English/surnate......aque.jpg
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Curator, a question. Where did you get that wonderfull Zodiac cloth? Did you make it? I have your book and I love the effect, but to be able to lay the cards out on a cloth like that would be great...

-thomas
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Same goes here, a clean, untouched, deck of card is used (most of the readers around here are muslims, so they go on about the devil's presence in a deck of card that has been used for gambling,cheat,deceit and that truth wont be shown through the cards, you wont see expect evil deeds and misleading paths) they say an islamic prayer, invocating allah (note that allah means literaly god, just like god means dieu in french...it's not a proper noun...)

if water and soap is non existant, they take a handful or dust/sand, rub their hands together (supposedly it cleans...) say the prayer, ask god to protect all who is present, draw a circle that no evil spirit can penetrate, go on with the reading...

hope this helps
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 18:49, sarcophilus wrote:
Curator, a question. Where did you get that wonderfull Zodiac cloth? Did you make it? I have your book and I love the effect, but to be able to lay the cards out on a cloth like that would be great...

-thomas

I made it.
I use it from the beginning (30 years ago), it folds and is extremely easy to carry.
I have another one, black and silver, also in leather.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Intersting idea Alexandre. Curator, is that your website? Cool stuff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cartomancy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL