The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chest and Slates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Does anyone know where I can buy a prediction chest and slates (Al Baker and Dr. Q).

-THANKS!
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Sorry, I can’t help you with a direct answer. I guess you’ll just have to trawl the dealer sites until you get lucky. I can’t remember where I got my own slates, possible from a dealer at a convention. However, may I offer some (possibly unwanted) observations.

1. Do make sure you get the SIZE you want. When I was tracking mine down, I saw a few ads for slates which were small pocket-sized ones instead of the 12" ones I wanted for stage work. If I hadn’t read the ads carefully, I’d have made a bad mistake.

2. Wood frames only. Don’t even think of buying plastic. But you’re too smart for that, right?

3. Don’t bother with a ’locking’ flap. Needless expense, and they create as many problems as they solve. You can do GREAT routines with basic, standard slate + flap sets.

4. Although the props have lost any contemporary relevance (school slates having died out about 80 years ago), you CAN still present slate effects to a modern audience. Don’t listen to those who say otherwise! You just need to weave a little more story or explanation into the presentation. I remember doing a lecture presentation to the Oxford Scientific Society (name drop, name drop... so shoot me), and I included all sorts of clever, modern mentalism effects. At the end of the lecture, which item did they all want to know more about? A simple routine with a flap slate...

5. You CAN make your own. It’s not that hard and the results can be as good as anything you can buy.

6. A large percentage of two slate routines can be done with two white dry-wipe boards and a flap gimmick made from laminated white card stock. Worth a thought if you just can’t get the slates you want!

http://www.ian-rowland.com. The most amazing cards in the world and the famous Levitating Cat.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Careful thought is required in using slates.

I used them as something that had been used in seances at the turn of the century.

If you are just doing a 16 digit type test forget it, use a switch pad.

I agree with Ian about locking slates. Mechanically they are clever, but not really that practical. However there are some magnetic locking slates out there now,

I think Chazpro sell them.

In my book Mindful Mentalism 3 there are two slate routines, one by myself, The No S**t Sherlock Book Test and one by Alexander Thomas which originally appeared in his book Turning Thoughts To Gold.

For Prediction chests there are many types, usually expensive. Roy Roth sells one for loading a cassette tape into. An inexpensive prediction box is using a watch box, the type meant for loading a watch into, just load the prediction. Sam Dalal made a set the other year, Tannen may have them.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I believe Paul Hallas is on the right track concerning Prediction Chests. Rabbit-In-The-Hat sells a couple of nice teakwood lippencot boxes from Indis (one is a single box and the other is two nested boxes), at a very reasonable price. The outside box of the double box is 4¾"Wx4¾"Dx3¾"H and gives you two boxes.

I have always had trouble with "regular" prediction chests in that

1) They look "propish"

(This is not a word, but I think it conveys my thinking), and

2) Why this big box to hold a little slip of paper?

If you are looking for this type of chest as a collector’s item then check out Carandi.

I cannot let Ian’s comment pass, about not letting anyone talk you out of slates.

I always wonder why we must concoct stories to pass off outdated props, particularly if our "character" does not support it.

For the right character and setting, e.g., a seance, it could well fit in. But in your stage or parlour act, I question it. Further, by the story we cause attention to be focused on the prop which might not be a good idea, depending on the effect.

I suggest that you consider Ian’s white board suggestion, which is an excellent one. Today, people know what white boards are, and they are commonplace. I hear that Tannens is selling a "professional" white board; however, I have not heard anything about it. If anyone has or owns one it would be appreciated if you could let us know.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
alex keal
View Profile
New user
Whiteford, Maryland
35 Posts

Profile of alex keal
A little late here, but I have seen Alexander Thomas absolutely kill with his slate routine. It was nice to see it in one of Paul's books as well as Thoughts to Gold.
The slates that Mr. Thomas uses were made by Martini, who also makes prediction chests, although for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a prediction chest. Slates are still being used in many areas although harder to find when you are seeking to purchase them. My suggestion is to contact Marty at Martini Magic and see if you can talk him into making you a set those georgeous slates.
I have seen the chazpro slates, and they are very well made, but do not look like slates, more like magic props. anyway that is the wanderings of an old mind for what it is worth.
All the Best
Alex
card crazy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chest and Slates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL