The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Two Vent Figures At Once? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 13:52, Harris wrote:
Professor Piper..

Perhaps you can post a video. That sounds cool.

This nearly normal guy is working on a bit with 2 figures based on the prodigal son. Keeping the voices to the correct puppet is interesting. After messing up while working it up, led to messing up on purpose giving the wrong voice to a puppet.

Harris

By the way Nearly Normal Harris...

First off, I've admired and respected your posts/views for a LONG time....Both here and on the WorldVents list...Your dedication to the Art and ingenuity is something to be spotlighted.

As for your idea (the Prodigal Son and getting the voices mixed up)...

I LOVE it...that is true creativity...I can literally see the act and it works in my head.

Keep up the work Nearly Normal...

You definately have the 'It' that makes a Vent great.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Many years ago a prominent (unnamed) Ventriloquist would close his act with a double voice singing routine. He would really strain his neck muscles doing the bit, a real struggle but there were distinctly two voices singing harmony. Amazing...Audience would go wild.

However...if you had enough drinks with him after the show...he would show you the small tape player that he kept in his vent figure's suitcase. Easily switched on for the double voice moment. Smile

Just like magic...an illusion Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Professor Piper

Thanks for your kind words. I haven't read or posted on World Vents too much lately. It is a fun site on Yahoo Groups.

I will take the prodigal son, bit out for another test drive tonight. Steak night and me for a local church.

Next month the new bit/prodigal son..will be part of a conference workshop.(Salt and Light/Imago Dei October Conference on Christianity and the arts...

During my 30 minute drive to work(as a nearly normal counselor) I always look for ways to create ventriloquist bits. My mind is boggled about even trying to start your idea..

Last year I tried circle vent singing...The figure is singing a song, then switching to another song based on a word that was in the first song...then onto a 3rd, 4th...song based on a word that leads you there..the process eventually leads back to the original song...

but I digresssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Step away from your lips...quipped Nigel, the puppet that rocks and talks......

You are all appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
This morning on the way to work a motorcycle passed my car...

The varooooooooooooooom reminded me of the bit discussed on this thread..

I went from playing with the varooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm sound to a sireen with a low and high tone....So far the results are just a sleight smile and slight sorenesssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Speaking of recorders, I use a bit to offset my real harmonica playing during vent.

I record some harmonica riffs on my small digital recorder, that is shaped like a harmonica, pretend to play it, then reveal it is not.

but I digressssssssssssssssssssssssss

Harrissssssssssssssssssssssss
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Now I am trying to come up with a board or someother attachment to sit the puppets on. This would be instead of two side tables.

Seems in my emails I have a plan for something easily attached to my body and light weight. I am going to talk with some teachers at the school to pick their brains. A benefit to working in middle and high schools, I have access to teachers in: Art, Drama, industrial tech, productions/video, computer concepts......

Last nights church program with the Prodigal Son near the end of the program went well. I will have a chance to take it out 2 more times this weekend.

This nearly normal guy will have to watch out for gain of weight as I share at Church Pot-Lucks this season....

Enjoy the process....
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
This morning I was reviewing a C/D by Pat Fraley.

He uses a voice and whistle at the same time to create a wild effect.

The best cartoon voices smuggled out of hollywood is a great "listen and learn".

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Bill Boley had a video and also an audio tape on doing the double voice. I've seen Liz VonSegan(sp) do it as well, but uses it as a voice for her alien character. It can be done legitimately... Fred Ketch did a tripple voice legitimately... but if you want quality, you're better off using the small tape recorder or actually recording the extra voices right on the soundtrack so they're always coming in at the right part. The legitimate double can sound like squaling sometimes.

As to the walk around stand, Bob Abdou was selling them at a convention years back. He didn't make them, but if he doesn't still sell them could probably tell you where to get them. Think his web site is http://www.mr.puppet.com

Gary
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Sorry, got Bob's address wrong on my previous post. Here's the correct one.

http://www.mrpuppet.com/
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
I thought I'd check with a doctor friend before posting this just to make sure my anatomy was correct. He said there is only one set of vocal cords per person. You do not have a second set. There are two small flaps of skin that are sometimes called the false vocal cords, but there are no muscles attached to these hence no control over them.

So how do you do the double voice? Basically harmonics. You would have a hard time doing it if you didn't want the puppets to be in harmony.

Note Prof Piper uses a low voice and a high voice. The higher one is expressed as a harmonic of the lower.

If your physics knowledge doesn't stretch as far as wave theory, then don't worry. Just be assured that it is possible to do, but kind of difficult.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
Quote:
On 2006-08-25 21:49, DrNorth wrote:
I just picked up Jeff's "Arguing with myself" DVD. Online you can find some of his earlier TV appearances. My wife and I first saw him on a TV show in the mid 80's. I have never seen a vent act that made me laugh so hard, and believe each character was real. 20 years later and to see how he has honed his act is an amazing thing. THIS is NOT a criticism, but respect...he does almost the same act that he did 20 years ago and manages to make it look fresh, natural and spontaneous. and it still holds up. In fact, some of the puppets have changed more than the act. The subtle fine tuning is what makes it great. Too many comics get popular and then have to rush new material every year, it never seems to be as good as teh act they polish over many years time. I guess the same can be said of some magicians as well. It can be done, but it seems that the best acts are the long running acts.

The reason, Dr. North, is that performers often feel as if they need to entertain THEMSELVES! THEY get tired of the material so they try to "keep it fresh". As a performer you have to keep reminding yourself that you are their for the audience and they have never heard your act. The longer you stick with an act, the more you are able to fine tune it...find the rhythm, the little beats that you need to hold, The subtle expressions, the timing of the head movements (of both of you). That's why they call it work!
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
And Jeff does change his act... at least the peripherals. If you watch his DVD, Peanut, Walter, and Jose are basically the same act he's done for years. But he added Sweet Daddy (watch the bonus features of the DVD to hear how he developed him) and redid Bubba J. Bubba J is one of those characters he came up with years ago, but he built a new hard figure to replace the Verna figure he used to use with that act. Over the years, he's had a variety of figures he's used to open his shows before the main 3 come out. Of course, being a figure maker himself, Jeff can pretty much do it and not worry about buying a figure he won't use.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I tried performing with two soft puppets last weekend and it went quite well Smile

It was a nice experience and I plan to try it some more Smile

Nowhere close to Kevin Johnson...but in a decade or two, Im there Smile

http://www.geocities.com/wanlu99/kakagonzo.JPG

http://geocities.com/thepartyzoo/gonzokaka.JPG

Thanks

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Two Vent Figures At Once? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL