The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Good illusion for tall assistant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "grand illusion" catagory. So, I'll try here first.

I would like to start doing a show with my fiance (she's all for it). I'm looking for any illusions that would accomidate her height. She is 5'8". She is fit but not stick thin. I think she weighs about 140 lbs. So any suggustions on an illusion that we could use. We already have a sub trunk that we hope will become part of the show. I'm looking for atleast one more illusion that would become part of this future show.

Thanks in advance.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Edd,
I'm 5'7". I often work with my heels on so I jump boxes somewhere in the 5'9"-5'10" range. I'm not rail thin. I've found I can fit in most Zig-Zags (some with shoes, some without). The Thin sawing, Kube-Zag, Most sword-boxes or Doll houses are good fits. We had our Twister made taller, don't use the stool in with the Brooms...My point is tall isn't really a bad thing and I think you'll find it won't limt you too much. Just remember, don't listen to the short girls when it comes to "how-to-do-it" tall ladies do it diffrent most of the time.
"Homemade" illusions tend to be bigger then the so called "real thing" but you get what you pay for.
If you see something you like PM me, tell me what it is, who built it (very important to fit) and I'll help if I can.

Good Luck,
Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Edd,

At 5'8" and only 140 lbs. I don't see a problem. In fact, it sounds to me like some very convincing misdirection!

Some sword baskets may be difficult but if you will look around, most professional show girls in heels are taller than the guys.

From a practical side, you will find that taller ladies actually tend to have better balance. Make it work for you.

Congratulations to you and your fiance. Good luck with your magic and marriage. It won't take you long to learn that the best magicians' assistants own their own magician!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
The Arabian Tent Illusion...build it yourself and you'll see....
;)
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I'm 6'5" at 250 lbs. I make an awful box jumper. Not so much because of my height, but because I'm just not all that flexable. Not to mention the raw cubic feet I take up, no matter how you fold me.
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Quote:
On 2006-03-22 15:40, astoundingbruce wrote:
The Arabian Tent Illusion...build it yourself and you'll see....
;)

he right
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I'm 5'7" and 110 lbs.

We own a dollhouse that none of us could fit in, and we thought it was because we just weren't flexible enough. Then I needed to produce someone with it, and they squished into it in a particular way. After a couple tries I had it down and could pop out of the dollhouse in a custom princess dress (HUGE skirt) tiara (adding inches) and high heels! Even my mother who is 5'8" and practically tries not to fit, once I showed her how she could fit in this illusion as well. I totally agree we need to do it differently than the shorter girls, though!

Alexa
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Since Ms Morgan and Alexa are box jumpers I would go with what they have to say. If you have a certain illusion and your fiance won't fit, don't give up right away. Spend time having her try various positions. Sometimes a small change in say, the position of her feet can make all the difference in the world. I have a can box with the smaller stairs, one assistant I have is about 5'4", and no matter how hard she trys she just can't fit in them. Another girl in the show is right about 6' tall, and somehow she Can fit in.
But by far the illusion we have that all the girls can fit in without a problem is our Assistants Revenge. It's easy to have a small platform for the shorter girls, and remove it for the taller ones.
Bob.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
If you want to know how we positioned to fit in the dollhouse PM me. Do not want to expose anything here on the forum.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I don't see the problem. If a store-bought illusion doesn't fit properly, you can always have one custom-made -- or make one yourself. Unless your assistent is particularly large around the belly (which you said wasn't the case) you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
You and your fiance are probably trying all kinds of positions now. Maybe some of the culd help here. Smile <BG>
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Good illusion for tall assistant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL