The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Colour balls for Brett Sherwood Smooth Copper Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Hi

After reading many posts regarding the best set of cups to buy I have decided to make my first set a Brett Sherwood Smooth Copper Set.

On his excellent site he offers three different colours of his deluxe balls manipulation balls (Blue/Silver - Red/Gold - White/Silver). To those of you with the copper set, what colour would you reccommend?

I know this is quite a personal thing and tastes vary from person to person - but as I have only seen photos of the cups and balls I would appreciate your opinions.

Many thanks

Cliff
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Red and gold would offer a nice complement to the cups. White/silver would offer a good contrast. I don't think the blue/silver would be the best with these cups.

Personally, I like white balls for contrast.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I'd go with white too for more of a contrast.

The red balls look great with the brass cups.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I just got a set of these copper Sherwood cups and they are everything I expected and more! Obviously I agree with your choice. I would choose the red balls but, as you note, that is a personal preference. The color of mat/stand up table will have an impact on your choice. Let me know what you think of these balls. I didn't buy them at the time, but they are a definite future purchase.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Why hasnt't anyone suggested GREEN?

Regards,

Paul (I love the color) Green
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think green one's are pretty good.
Hey paul, do you have one of porper's wands with the green tips?

I was just discussing this wand with someone and your name came up.
Can't imagine why.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I prefer white due to the contrast. That was the color of the balls that came with my smooth copper set.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
It is a biological fact that the complementary colors on the color wheel are the most color contrasting tot he eye. That is, red/green, blue/orange, and yellow/purple. Being that the copper cups are a shade of reddish, clearly green balls are the most pleasing and contrasting to the eye. Therefore, I recommend going to http://www.theambitiouscard.com (Frank Starsini's site) and purchase the green felt balls. This is exactly what I have done and the combo is beautiful, especially after the cups tarnish to dull. Also, he has matching final load balls..
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 15:03, Mr. Fitzwilly wrote:
It is a biological fact that the complementary colors on the color wheel are the most color contrasting tot he eye. That is, red/green, blue/orange, and yellow/purple. Being that the copper cups are a shade of reddish, clearly green balls are the most pleasing and contrasting to the eye. Therefore, I recommend going to http://www.theambitiouscard.com (Frank Starsini's site) and purchase the green felt balls. This is exactly what I have done and the combo is beautiful, especially after the cups tarnish to dull. Also, he has matching final load balls..

Those colors would be especially apropos at Christmas - copper and green! :^)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The problem is that right now Sherwood does not offer green balls. That would be an excellent option, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Many thanks to you all for the replies - I'm going to go for the Sherwood White/Silver deluxe manipulation balls and the green felt balls from http://www.theambitiouscard.com .

Best

Cliff Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That sounds like an excellent choice to me. Both ways.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I shop in exactly the same way - if in doubt, buy both options! Good choice.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have the silver engraved Sherwoods and bought the white balls. I'm beginning to wish I would have toggen a red or blue set. When I finally decide to get a copper set, I guess I'll pick them up then.
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
I guess great minds think alike! If you were wishing for deluxe green balls for my copper cups they are already here! Actually, they are JADE/GOLD and were made over six months ago. They were an interesting suggestion from a great guy I met at the IBM in Cleveland called Mike Varela. The more I thought of his suggested colour the more it made logical sense and the perfect contrast to my copper cups. Here is what he wrote about the first prototype set of deluxe balls I sent him:

"I just received your new set of four jade-green, hand-crochetted rubber balls. They are gorgeous! They also have these little tiny glints of gold glitter in them, but not overpoweringly so, which would make them look too gaudy and cheap. Instead they fairly sparkle with beauty. Most importantly, they show up well at a great distance, and without having to be the same old standard color red to accomplish this. That's a technological miracle all by itself! They also handle well and are extremely well balanced during all the difficult phases involved in the handling of the small balls in the Vernon routine. These balls, as well as all the rest of your superb products, are simply the best of the best!"

I do not have these balls on my web site, because the small number sold out quickly, but I have made another order, which will be about another two months to complete, because of the labour intensive nature involved. However, if you contact me via my web site http://www.SherwoodMagic.com I will be happy to add you to my list. I also have a lovely Egyptian colour coming out as well TURQUOISE/GOLD. This might be of interest to those with a historical interest or presentation in the cups and balls and their relationship to the Beni Hasan tomb in Egypt...?

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those look great!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Brett,
Do you have any news on when your much-anticipated wands will be available?

Richard
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Ah, yes my wand project...Well, Richard this is a long story, but to be brief (as possible). Initially I set about creating an engraved wand to match my engraved cups, but like my cups I didn't want a standard wand similar to what is already available elsewhere on the market, what's the point? There are a lot of beautiful wands out there already. I figure if I take the time to make something all aspects must be researched intensively and over the past two years I have been designing and refining. My wand(s) were ready for production, then I had the good fortune to bump into a top name cup worker, who suggested to me a very interesting magical concept, which I had never considered seriously. At this point my wand was ready to manufacture, BUT when I thought about the implications of this top cup workers ideas it immediately became crystal clear - the wand must be externally beautiful, but the functionality of my wand project MUST now also incorporate these magical properties. Thus another long wait - more developing, but I am glad you asked and I am glad I am not currently working away, so I may now offer this explaination regarding the delay. The wand(s) will be advertised in the major magic magazines hopefully by January 2006. Should anyone want to be the first to see photos etc. they can send me an email via my web site (www.SherwoodMagic.com). All my special cup buyers will also be notified directly once they are available. I cannot divulge the name of the big name cup worker just yet, as we are both signed under a confidentiality contract. I firmly believe once my wand(s) become available they will cause a BIG stir. Obviously if I only worked soley at my cup business I would have finished this project earlier, but it is only a small side business. Alas, I still must perform for my living and to pay for all the heavy developing prototypes myself (seven thus far). Hope this helps explain the delay and thank you for your interest in my magic wand.
R_B_C
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, Texas
65 Posts

Profile of R_B_C
Brett: Will be carrying a smaller size set of balls in the future? I love the look of your current set, but I am unsure as to whteher they will fit my wooden Mikame combo set, the originals are slightly smaller than 1 inch and the chop balls (all 4)are the same size as the solid core. I am looking to replace all the chop balls for an old routine I used to do, and to keep the originals in better shape for collevtors purposes. Thank you, your cups are truly the most beautiful I have ever seen.
R_B_C
"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of ASW
Brett - instead of selling the chop cup separately, will you be selling it as part of a combo in future? For me, buying a three cup set and then a chop cup means one spare, useless, cup.

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Colour balls for Brett Sherwood Smooth Copper Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL