The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Politics and Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KornbergMagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of KornbergMagic
One rarely hears about magic dealing with political issues, or at least that is my general impression.

We've all heard about Robert-Houdin using the light/heavy chest to fend off revolution in Algeria, or that Houdini was popular because he represented the new immigrant breaking out of the establishment's jails. But other than those examples, I'm not really aware of magic mixing much with politics.

Am I right or wrong on this one?
Please note that the bowl at the back of the church labeled 'for the sick' is for monetary donations ONLY.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In some of the back issues of the Jinx and the Phoenix there were some political tricks.

They are generally avoided on the Café because political and religious references other than in the gospel forum are generally against the rules.

You can script anything to have a political message if you wish (to alienate half of your audience).
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2038 Posts

Profile of jimtron
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but Jeb Bush recently "unleashed" his "mystical warrior" friend at a swearing in ceremony the other day. Here is an article about it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is that Chang or "Chug!" ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Political commentary has a way of polarizing your audience for or against you...and it takes the smallest little thing sometimes. I use political humor in my adult and family shows...but it is always generic in nature ["That's how Congress speaks..."] or balanced [Pick on both sides openly]. For this reason, I will not put political decals or emblems on my showmobile or wardrobe. I will not perform at fundraisers or rallies for either party free of charge. My best clients live in the over-the-top liberal town of Chapel Hill, NC...and they can sniff out and tree a conservative at a hundred paces!

There are countless actors, actresses and businesses that I boycott because I disagree with their "in-your-face" "Listen-to-me-because-I'm-a-star" B.S. support for one political cause or another. For them, it's a minor thing. For a local performer...it can be the death of your business.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Penn and Teller have several "political" and "societal commentary" pieces in their show.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2005-09-22 11:15, Payne wrote:
Penn and Teller have several "political" and "societal commentary" pieces in their show.

Yup...and I love them for it. But, they keep it pretty generic by ridiculing the entire system, not one party over an another...generally. Political humor and satirical commentary, when well done, unify us through laughter. When done poorly, they polarize us into defensive and offensive groups...which is harmful to a business' success. No?

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
385 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I think it is ok if you only make fun of hippies. Other than that it could be taboo.

oliver
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Unless you want to alienate people, ask yourself what Will Rodgers or Mark Twain would say. As Skip suggests, that kind of lay-it-on-both sides approach is OK. Look at how the Capital Steps do it.

Yours,

Paul
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Exactly. I was thinking about Will Rodgers. With Will Rogers it was always a kind of us (normal folks) against them (Politicans). He did make some specific comments but generally he would just joke about the Institution as a whole.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Sex, politics, and religion are always such touchy subjects! That's why I love them so!

What about a bipartisan approach? It's just a thought.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I think you hve to look at the comedy and remember why you are presenting it. If you simply want to grind an axe and make partisan political statements, you're going to alienate people as Skip says. If you straddle the fence and make sure there is enough shots taken at both sides it could be done. It's tricky but do-able. Most folks would stay away from it because you really can "push some buttons" when you delve into politics.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Genni magazine ran an article a year or so back about a famous magician who actually wrote a book of magic tricks intended to be used as a manual for the CIA (or similar) on the art of assasination. They had a chapter or two included in the magazine.

I am at work and don't have time to look it up, but I am sure there are some astute readers out there who have a little better organized system for keeping their magazines that could point you in the right direction. Otherwise contact Genii magazine direct for the reference.

As far as fundraising and partying, both political parties have invited magicians to inagural balls, to the White House for special performances etc. In fact George Bush appeared at the most recent Republican convention by way of an illusion - the crossed panels.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
The magician was John Mulholland. The issue was April 2001.

Good article.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
I agree. Only if its about hippies
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
This reminds me of when I took a magic class. One of the students performed a routine, with the scripting essentially knocking my candidate and beliefs. The presentation was clean technically. However, I was not thrilled. The actual lesson I learned was if I wasn't pleased about that, there is a darn good chance others would not be pleased either. Why ruin a good performance with that? The audience, in my view, will long remember you for your commentary, and not your talent.
There is so much divisiveness (sp?) politically in the US. I personally use my performance time to take people to another place. We have plenty of talking heads to contend with. I won't be one of them.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Watch it, you guys. Remember, Abby Hoffmann wound up on Wall Street and Jane Fonda was married to Ted Turner! Some of those old hippies are part of the Establishment - and the rest of us old hippies have a term for them:

SELLOUTS!!!!!

:lol:

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Whether politics should mix with magic depends on who your audience is, doesn't it? And how you wish to be perceived.

Also, one more classic intermingling of politics and magic from Steinmeyer's terrific Hiding the Elephant:

"When Selbit introduced the Sawing [a lady in half] in 1921, one of his earliest publicity stunts was to offer Christabel Pankhurst twenty pounds a week to serve as a permanent sawing block for his illusion. Christable and Sylvia Pankhurst, together with their mother, Emmeline, had been leaders in the British woman's suffrage movement."

Jack Shalom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Politics and Magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL