The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Body bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
So...

I was asked to do an underwater escape. I decided on chains, locks, and a body bag.

My idea was that I could use a 60' version of Siberian chain with maybe 8-10 locks, be zipped into a body bag, and thrown in. I should add, that I'm being thrown into a tank full of sharks.

I like to have things like this happen in tiers. So the first tier of the escape, would be getting out of most of the chain (wrapped around body). Second tier, getting out of the bag. Third tier, the wrists. Fourth, exit the water.

In practice it went well, except that the body chain became irrelevent, since it was in the bag. The bag in this, acted for two things. One, a cabinet. Two, a place with an air bubble for breathing.

The bag, on entering the water, clings very tightly to everything except the uppermost portion. This increases the difficulty of managing the zipper. It also makes it much more difficult to sink to the bottom. But on exit from the bag, it just looks lame to be out of the body chains.

So I've ditched the bag, and am just doing chains in the water. It's really fun, as the buoyancy allows for movement in any direction. I like it a lot better than being on land.

For those in the area of San Francisco-Sacramento, the piece will air live on 9/30, on a bunch of the morning TV shows.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Harley,

How did you get along with the sharks?

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They're beautiful!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Harley,

Very interesting combination of tiers. Congrats! I would think it important to make certain the air flows to the head end of the bag and not the foot end. Also, how deep was the water?

Thanks for sharing such an interesting escaep!

Clyde
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Thanks Clyde!

It went well. I can't begin to describe the amazement of turning around and being face to face some curious sharks. They're so beautiful!

It was only about 15' depth, but a small problem was that most of the habitat tank bottom is coral, and I only had a strip of sand about 2' wide to work on. There were also a bunch of OSHA rules, with which I had to comply. That part was a surprise.

For those of you outside the US, OSHA is the government agency that oversees workplace safety. I know there's an EU equivalent, as they made up a rule a couple of years ago, that would've required tightrope walkers and acrobats to wear hardhats. I got interviewed by the BBC about it, and concluded that anybody who though up such a rule, isn't fit to follow an elephant with a shovel.

I should add that I used two different types of body bag, in practice but not in performance. I bought both from the first site mentioned in the other thread we had about them.

The first bag is the $18 model. It's basically a white reinforced paper type of bag, not very strong, weak along the zipper line, and the zipper is a straight line. If you want a cover that's disposable, this could be a good one. It's not good for water though.

The second bag I got, was the $70 model, double zipper in a "C" configuration, orange, heavy vinyl with black webbing for carry straps and reinforcment. It also has an inner plastic lining. I like this bag a lot, and think it will become part of something else, even if I don't know what, at the moment.

I don't recommend either bag for use in water, as they would float you.

www.bladewalker.com
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
So here is a question for you Harley...

Did you use a siberian chain that THEN wrapped around the body in one long continus piece or was it two seperae chains. Also did a bulk of the chain go to the wrists or was it One wrap on the wrists and 57 feet around the body? Just curious. Feel free to answer or not.

Anton
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've regularly configured lengths of chain to fit different needs. This one was a 60' chain, with one end configured for Siberian. I did once around the wrists, and the rest around the body.

It was fun taking it through airport security. I took it as carry-on, and thus avoided being charged for the weight.

I would have used a figure 8 tie, but since I was able to restrain a media person, Siberian made more sense.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Body bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL