The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Jackets in restaurants? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Hey all, I just have a general question, I work in restaurants as a magician and I have never before used a jacket, I always though of it as a hinderance. However I was thinking of getting a topit installed in my jacket for stand up and wanted to know what others thought about jackets and do you wear them in the restaurant, not necessarily topit work, just in general.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Always, and for three reasons--it looks professional, it gives me the pocket space I need, and two of the effects I perform are dependent on the jacket itself (a penetration effect and an effect that requires "reverse sleeving").
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wore jackets simply because it looked professional. Then I started working a 4 star restaraunt in the Florida Keys, the jacket had to go. Matter of fact I wore gym shoes, shorts and a tropical shirt!

That was what was expected believe it or not. The richest people in the world come in and I made them UNCOMFORTABLE with a jacket on. Go figure.

In other words learn your environment first, then decide on the jacket. If it seems optional at all wear it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jasonmiller
View Profile
New user
Greenville, SC
52 Posts

Profile of jasonmiller
I'm sure glad balloon guys aren't expected to wear a jacket... whew... here in the dirty south it gets sticky hot. My busiest restaraunt gets so hot and stuffy when it's packed that a jacket would probably make a fella melt. Even the servers wonder how I manage wearing a tie every weekend.
Jason Miller
-Balloon Twister
-Magic Man
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Another vote for wearing a jacket as it gives you the pocket space required,allows for sleeving,allows for productions and looks professional.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I believe in the idea that a Magician should dress one level higher than the average guest.So if you perform in a very casual restaurant,a jacket is a good idea.If it's a place where suits are prevalent then a Tux may be appropriate.I alway's wear a jacket or suit.It looks Professional,and I aslo need the pockets as previously stated. All the best. Rich
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A crab shack in the Keys is ok for a Hawiian shirt, but everywhere else a jacket and tie is necessary. The tips are better, and women love a well dressed man.
Be a pro
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
'Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!'

ZZTOP knew it and so do we. A jacket is an added magic effect. So many places to ditch, etc.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Quote:
On 2005-09-23 23:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
I wore jackets simply because it looked professional. Then I started working a 4 star restaraunt in the Florida Keys, the jacket had to go. Matter of fact I wore gym shoes, shorts and a tropical shirt!

I'll never forget one of my first gigs(few years ago). I wore a coat (becuase I needed the pockets, etc) at an afternoon pool party. It was in the summer and 90 degrees. Man, did I feel like a jerk. Realizing my mistake, I ran into the bathroom and re organized all my tricks so I could perform without the jacket. Some of my performances were a little rough becuase I wasn't used to where things were and I fumbled too much. Also, certain effects I couldn't even do.

Moral of the story: ASK before the gig, THINK about what is the appropriate attire. Fit your environment, but of course, dress sharp and professional at all times.

BTW, through time and experience, I've been able to re-work some of my favorite effects that used to require a jacket so I can now do them in short sleeves. Can't do that with everything, but necessity is the mother of invention!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Juggleral 2 things to clear up.

one it wasnt a crab shack. It was a 4 star restaurant. The richest people in the world came in there so crab shack is totally off base. Seems even though it was stated you missed the point.

second Eugene Burger seems to completley disagree with you. Ask him sometime what he wears. Tropical shirts are kind of the norm for him and he isn't even from the Keys.

Point being you should avoid speaking in absolutes. Usually you end up being wrong. The situation is different for every place. Generally as I mentioned I feel a jacket is better, but there are many exceptions to the rule which you don't seem to allow for.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
I get away with no buttoning my shirt the whole way, not tugging in my shirt, and wear a loose tie and no-jacket .. maybe its because I look very young and it looks stylish on me???
heck I'm even considering wearing a basketball jersey and a sports-coat over it.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you need the pockets, but have to dress casually, why not wear a shirt jacket over a colored t-shirt?

I'm thinking about working out of a vest, for many of my gigs, because a jacket is often too hot to work in.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
"""""A crab shack in the Keys is ok for a Hawiian shirt, but everywhere else a jacket and tie is necessary. The tips are better, and women love a well dressed man.
Be a pro
Al""""""

Being a pro means knowing when to to wear a jacket and when not to. Wearing one doesn't automatically make you a pro.

Besides, in my own opinion, you should use the the jacket to make a fashon statement for the envirornment, not to help out with tricks. A lot of guys say they like to wear one because of the tricks they can do while wearing a jacket. The problem then is that they can't leave the jacket. They become too reliant on it. Now the choice of tricks influences the decision of wearing one, not the environrnment of the gig and that is not professional.

I personaly prefer not to use one but will if appropiate. I ask questions. With or without it, my show or ability to perform is the same.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Miguel
If you are going to put it like that I will have to agree with you. For out door parties, or children's parties I do not wear a jacket, but when I'm performing for adults, or tips you can bet I will always try to be the best dressed man in the room.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Miguel is right. A very unprofessional performer can show up in a $2000 suit and still bring the decor of the room down.

A pro can show up in jeans and bring UP the environment.

Now I agree most cases a jacket IS the way to go. BUT there are plenty of exceptions to the rule.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
As most of my esteemed colleagues have said , it depends on your venue . I wear a grey-black jacket, suit pants , short sleeve white shirt , paisley red tie and black dress shoes when I work at my restaurant. I will wear a blazer and khakis when I work outside. What ever you wear , it should be clean and neat .
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
I also don't wear a jacket in my restaurant work. A dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, cap, dress slacks and nice shoes. I don't care to have extra material touching from my elbow down. When I do a formal show, it's tux and tails (this jacket goes only to waist then cuts down for tails), and a black shirt.
I do like this type of jacket when I need to wear one, nice inside pockets and some secret ones near tails.

Magically,
Joseph
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I prefer to wear a sports jacket or leather jacker. It fits my persona and having all those extra pockets is invaluable.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
In my experience it all really depends on whether or not the restaurant keeps the room fairly temparate. In the summer months, I have the coat off if I'm working outside. If I'm indoors under a fan or airconditioner, most definetely wear the jacket.....but replace the jacket with a nice vest when working in warmer venues.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I've come to find that most magicians who think that wearing a jacket makes you look professional are quite boring people. Sorry, it's just such an old-fashioned belief...and so are most of them.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Jackets in restaurants? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL