The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The closest thing to real magic I've ever done (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I had a kind of neat experience the other day while perform for some kids birthday party. I thought I'd share it with you all and maybe some of you have had similar experiences.

I was performing a little magic for a kids birthday party. It was pretty casual because I've known the family for years. So I mainly just did a few tricks while I was hanging out with them.

One of the kids and his Mother came back into the room after a few brief absents. The little boy was crying a little but the mother had a kind of silly grin on her face. They approached me and the boy opened his mouth toward me while his mother explained that he wanted me to pull his loose tooth out because I can do magic and make it not hurt. His mother showed me that it was barely hanging on by a piece of skin. One little pull and it would come right off.

I thought about it for a second and I could see that even if I didn't do anything it would be falling off soon anyway. It's just hanging there. So I pulled a magic wand out of my case. Said some magic words and told him he could pull it out now. He insisted that I do it for him. So I said, "Ok, I'll grab it then I'll pull it out on the count of 3. You hold the magic wand and point it at your mouth while I pull it and it won't hurt at all."

I grabbed it and counted one out loud. On the count of one I pulled the tooth out. He didn't even feel a thing. So I continued to count "2...3" He opened his eyes to see me holding his tooth in my hand no where near his face. His face lit up with a huge smile and I handed him the tooth.

The funniest thing to me was that he just took the tooth and he told other there what I had done (used magic to make it not hurt) then went off to play again. It was almost like it was no big deal. It's amazing how a child can except "true magic" as just normal everyday thing. We know it's not true magic but to him it was. At least it's the closest thing to real magic I feel I've ever accomplished in someone's mind.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great story!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can't top that one.

The closest thing to real magic that I have ever done happened during the third year of the Texas Renaissance Festival. It had been drizzling all day long. I stepped out onto the stage at the Castle Theatre and started my act. I left out all of the props that could be damaged by water. Usually I would have about 400 people in that audience. I had about 80 that show. But even then, I was the one who had been there the longest, and I knew that I had to set an example for the other performers. So there I was, doing my "rain show."

The final trick was the Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear. It was fairly amazing, because the newspaper was not only restored, but it was dry!

But that wasn't the magical thing.

I told the audience -- "Now I shall perform the greatest piece of magic I know. I shall cause the rain to cease." I stretched my arms out to my side, raised my hands slightly, and the rains...dripped ....to ...... a ........ stop.

There are 80 people who think I can control the weather. That's why I am in hiding right now. Smile

If it hadn't worked, I would have said, "Well, it was worth a try."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
That's great! Love that weather story! Bill, had you been a misguided individual, you could of signed them up to join your new cult complete with anuual dues paid up front. Hahahahahaha.

That weather story reminds me of one involving my family and a complete stranger. My father was always big on road trips to neighboring cities and attractions. One summer, in Galveston, TX, we stopped at a burger joint. Following the quick lunch and bathroom break we all boarded the ole' station wagon to find it wouldn't start!!!

Of course the first thing we hear is mother griping about this and that. Dad told us all to relax and that it wasn't a big deal (picture the Griswalds - Chevy Chase and family) with all of us acting as if stranded in a foreign country when just 90 minutes from home.

At that moment a disheveled bum with a beer in paper sack stood in front of the car. Mother continued her bit but now with the added comments "Oh Lord! Oh my lord! look at THAT man! He probably has a gun!...I can't believe this is happening..."

[Go ahead and laugh as this happened over 20 years ago]

Suddenly the bum began waving his hands over the engine of our "Griswald" station wagon. We simply sat there and starred at him as he began chanting and commanding the car to start. This went on for about thirty seconds with his arms outstretched as if parting the Red Sea.

He abruptly stopped, signaled to dad to turn the key, he did, and the car started just fine. We all starred at him as he gave us a military salute, turned about, and walked off.

Quite a magical moment alright....
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am a very sceptical guy, flying saucers, ghosts, monsters etc are things I try to think about with an open mind but I just do not believe any of it. A few years ago my wife ran in the house looking scared and said there is something strange happing in the sky. I went into garden and looked up to see an amazing sight: Huge balls of pastel coloured light were whirling around the house, flying out into sky and descending again to whirl around the roof. It was an amazing and very unnerving sight. There were about ten or so and looked mist like. My heart was pounding and my mind was racing trying make sense of what I was seeing. I got scared when I could not understand it and went back inside to try and think clearly. At the time I was very excited that I had actually seen something that was magical. This just can not be I thought but I seen it.
Just then my son arrived. I asked “Have you seen the balls of lights outside?” He said “Yes, they are having a laser light party at the hotel down the road and it causes optical illusions, as the lights bounce of the clouds etc. What did you think it was, space men?” Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2992 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Back in high school, we were waiting for a class to start one day. I turned around and started talking with a friend, who was in the seat behind me. On his desk was a 6" slide rule in its soft leather case, so I grabbed the thing, took out the rule, and told him I was going to vanish the case.

I held the case between my palms, figuring on bringing my hands together and p*****ng the thing. But when I brought my hands together, I felt that there was nothing between them; the case was gone. So I opened my hands and made a show of the thing having vanished.

It blew him away. He looked at the floor, on my lap, up my sleeves, everywhere, but that case was history. He was totally flabbergasted.

But so was I. I was looking for that case too, and didn't see it anywhere. So here I was, trying to take the credit for a good trick, when I didn't have a clue what the heck happened. This went on for a couple of minutes, with the guy literally scratching his head and looking everywhere and me totally baffled.

Alas, it didn't vanish. When I shifted in my seat I saw the case at the other end of the room, on the floor. Apparently it shot out from between my hands so fast that neither one of us saw it go. It was one of those "gee whiz" moments.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-09-25 19:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
I told the audience -- "Now I shall perform the greatest piece of magic I know. I shall cause the rain to cease." I stretched my arms out to my side, raised my hands slightly, and the rains...dripped ....to ...... a ........ stop.

A real wizard would have stopped the rain at the beginning of his act. Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Amen Smile
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
KN_Magic
View Profile
New user
UK
91 Posts

Profile of KN_Magic
Not by me but my five year old son to his three year old brother.

The younger child was playing with his brother's "Vanishing Coin Slider", but couldn't get the coin back. He was distraught, sobbing even, sure he'd broken it and his elder sibling would be furious.

"Don't worry", said big brother "I'll fix it". Performs 'move', "There it is see!"
"Wow! Thanks, [name]!", said little brother with the broadest smile I've ever seen.

Amazing reaction, no script, no 'thought'.
Humbling, really.
My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light!
Edna St. Vincent Millay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The closest thing to real magic I've ever done (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL