The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help with canes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Copperfieldian
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a stage act and I want to include some canes in it. But the trouble is... that there are too many sorts of canes out there. So I would like to know what's the difference between the metal ones and the plastic ones and also how long the fantasion appearing canes are.

Thanx,
David
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I no longer use canes as they don't fit my existing manip. act. When I did use them, oh boy! I had my run with them.

You mention wanting to add them to your act. Member Kyle would be able to give you some great pointers on their use in terms of designing the act. The problem I ran into was the cane(s) didn't fit my character, I didn't really have a reason for carrying one or using one on stage, and they just didn't tie into anything else I was doing.

You asked the difference between metal and plastic canes. Well, first just that - one is metal and the other plastic. Cost is higher with metal canes but they can be faster whether appearing or vanishing canes. Metal canes need a little maintenance now and then, should be stored open if a appearing cane, and lightly oiled when stored. I've heard some users suffering cuts with either appearing/vanishing metal canes but I never had that problem.

DO A SEARCH ON VANISHING OR APPEARING CANES HERE AT THE Café. Much has been discussed on the topic.

You may want to experiment with a Fantasio vanishing cane to see if it's something you are comfortable with and fits your stage act. You can even get those things for about $20 on Ebay if you don't purchase or order from your dealer. I've even seen some of the silver metal canes for $40.

If you find the canes are right for you and the act then you have many cane effects to pick from. Some that come to mind are:

1. Vanishing Cane available in black, bronze for metal or black, silver, or yellow in plastic - Fantasio. Yeah just found out that Fantasio is offering a silver cane in plastic.

2. Appearing Cane - Fantasio offers Black, Red, and white in plastic or Black, Bronze, or silver in metal

3. Triple Color Changing Cane (ie Black to Red to White & then silks)
4. Dancing Cane (Several models out there from junk to Mesika and two part models)
5. Multiplying Canes
6. Cane to table (using top hat) ie Norm Nielson - expensive but a real smart prop.
7. Cane to candles - candles to silks
8. Cane to Bouquet

Check out Fantasio "My Canes & Candles" book for other ideas (Hardcover, 8.5 x 11, 136 pages)

Others will have ideas for you but most importantly, think about the rest of the act and how you want to tie in the cane(s).
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Randy gives some excellent advice and there is not much more I can add that he has not already covered off on. I will state that there are also metal canes put out my Mahka Tendo that are absolutely fanastic and come in a variety of colors. The only problem is that they are very pricey, so you must know up front if you are going to use them in your act so the investment is worth it for you.

I use a lot of Fanastio candles and canes as I just feel it fit my character and stage personna better and worked better for the routines I wanted to do with them. With the Fanastio cane, I can have a much easier time doing transional effects where the cane vanishes into a large blendo silk. Or I can do a triple color change whjere the silk shoots across the cane and the silk appears to be causing the cane to change colors. A very beautiful effect that can be done with the fanastio canes.

What Randy stated is so important. You really must test things out and make sure that the canes fit and make sense to your character and to the act you are presenting. If they are out of place and do not add to the stage act you are doing, then they should not be used. Think about who you are on stage and make sure the canes make sense to the telling of the magical story you are presenting to your audiences.

Hope this helps and I wish you much luck and success. Thanks again to Randy for sharing with us a wealth of great information.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
On one of the major websites (the name currently escapes me), there is a routine where you have 3 canes in a "cane holder" (like what you would have to properly hold umbrellas in a home). You produce a yellow silk and rub the black cane and it turns yellow. You produce a red silk and rub another black cane and it turns red, etc... I think it was only like 30 dollars for the 3 canes.

When I first saw the appearing cane so many years ago, I HAD to have one. So I bought one and designed the act around the cane. (Not the entire routine, but so my charactor would fit._

Derek Merdinyan
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
If you like cane work and do like Fantasio canes and candles, then I would really look into getting his book as well as his tapes that he did that were lectures at the magic castle. the book and videos are loaded with a wealth of great information.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Kyle,

I recently bought Peter Loughran's Ultimate Cane Fire gimmick. I know you need a fantasio vanishing cane for this effect. I wear black outfit and was considering getting a silver cane . Sort of shying away from white because Iwer sunglassesnd don'twant to looklike a "blind" magician. I will be doing a floating cane routine. What else would I need to purchase. How will I learn the technique used to thread the cane? Please advise.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
You might try my cane if you would like to make it dance! We make a beautiful cane. http://www.precisionmagic.com
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hey does anybody know where I could get a multiplying cane from? I have only ever heard of thsi effect but never seen it performed or known anyone that owns it.

Dmann your cane reall is rather lovely Just thought I would let you know.

Best Wishes,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
David,

You still on backorder for the dancing cane? Or do you have a few laying around I can purchase?

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Thanks Luke! By the way the multiplying cane that you are looking for is by Tenyo. But I do know of another set that is not just your standard black and white but are in colors. I believe there are 5 canes in either version.

Also, I just wanted to jump in this forum to let everyone know that Chris Compton one of my personal interest protege's (sorry if I didn't spell it right) just took second place in the Juniors Division at the Columbus Magi-fest convention. Needless to say I am very Proud of him!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help with canes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL