The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Whole Armor of God Trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have a children's church in Oct. and the theme is the whole armor of God. I am at a loss of what to do. I would like to emphasize the sword as the word of God.

Any suggestions?
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
The only thing that comes to mind is a production box that can be shown as empty. Pattering that the armour of God may seem invisible to you but it's quite real as you produce a small helmet, shield, shoes, etc., one at a time explaining all along the spiritual significance of each item.

It would look really cool if you could get one of those rolled up "pencil, broom, shovel, etc" plastic gizmos and fashion it into a sword-look-alike and remove a long and 'powerful' sword (Word of God) from the box to end.
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
182 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
This summer I did a couple performances of customized program on the Armor of God for a VBS closing. Here's what I did.

Belt of Truth
What's Next (Spot Card), In Over Your Head, Floating Table
I used the first two effects to illustrate how easy it is to be fooled. I then talked about the importance of knowing the truth of God's Word so we won't be tricked into believing something that isn't true. This led into the floating table. I presented it as the type of thing some people do trick people into believing that there are supernatural forces at work, but if you know the truth, you won't be fooled.

Breast plate of Righteousness
Torn & Restored Napkin
This is a routine where I talk about sin and the ten commandments. I used this as a springboard to talk about righteousness.

Sandals of the preparation of the gospel of Peace
Cut & Restores, Professor's Nightmare
There are a couple of ways people interpret the sandals. I take them as indicating the preparation for us to take the message of peace to the world. Cut and Restored illustrated the message of the gospel of peace with God, and Nightmare was used to illustrate who's job it is to take the message.

Shield of Faith
Head Chopper
My volunteer showed faith in me by participating in the routine. This led to a discussion on Faith in God, and how our faith is only as good as the object of our faith.

Helmet of Salvation
Andre Kole's 3-ball Illustration
This was a Gospel presentation.

Sword of the Spirit
Balloon Sculpture
I never came up with a magic routine I liked for this one. I got a kid from the audience and made balloon armor for him to wear. This served as review of the other pieces of armor, and allowed me to talk about the sword.

This was a 45 minute program, so I obviously didn't have time to go into much detail on each piece. That was OK for my situation. The kids had been studying the armor all week. The VBS director just wanted the kids to have a fun closing event that reviewed the armor. My program served that need.

Having said all that, I'm not a big fan of basing children's programming on the Armor of God. While there is a lot of important truth in the armor, I think it's a little too abstract to be really effective with elementary age kids. There are probably clearer ways to teach these truths to kids. Elementary kids, especially younger elementary, aren't really capable of the kind of abstract thinking required to understand how a belt is like truth, and so forth. (Obviously a lot of people disagree with me on this, because there are a lot of children's programs based on the armor.)
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
You don't really need to do magic for this scripture. You can use a football helmet, shoulder pads, etc. to get the idea across. I love performing, but sometimes another type of object lesson works just as well.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Excellent point Lefty!

Magic is a tool, but it isn't the only tool.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Balloons work very well for the Armor of God.

As you twist them you put them on a child.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Or maybe any type of penetration effect that contrasts what happens if we don't have on the armor of God!

For example the penetration frame (if you have that) or any pen thru bill trick, etc.
You could even make some kind of paper doll to do the pen thru bill trick with! LOL

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Some really great suggestions guys. Thank you for the help.
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
While I haven't worked it out yet, I've often thought about using an appearing sword from behind a Bible to illustrate the concept of the Word being a sword.

Maybe some of the others have done something like this.

Keith
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Yes I have thought about that very idea but I did not like the appearing sword.
It just did'nt work out for me.
I wish you the best with it though, I think it has great potential to illustrate the Bible as the sword of truth, etc.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Sent you a PM.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Thanks Doug.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I have used temlpe of beneras to illustrate that the armor of God protects us as satan's attacks come in various forms one after another. Then my wife/assistant does a costume change from black to white while in the box. I then explain that God allows those attacks and wants us to use the armor not just to protect us but to change us as well.

Curt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Whole Armor of God Trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL