The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Viral Marketing Via Email (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
A friend of mine is putting on a circus show called BAM! He wanted to create a version of the old "Ghost Picture" where the victim focuses on the monitor looking for a hidden picture. The picture suddenly changes to a screaming face accompanied by a loud scream from the speakers!

In his version, it would be a new "Magic Eye" picture that would suddenly say BAM! and scare the daylights out them. The idea would be that people would email the link to one another thus promoting the show.

It would seem to me that this type of marketing could reach a very big (and worldwide) market if done well.

Have any magicians ever tried it?
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I guess so.

The David Copperfield "Magic Cards" Powerpoint presentation has been around for years and it still gets sent everywhere.

I still receive it.

The only problem you will have is most anti-virus software kills Flash, Java script and even HTML on some computers.

He may want to email a link to a web site, which will speed up the mass email.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
225 Posts

Profile of funemagic
What is the david Copperfield "magic cards" powerpoint presentation?
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
It is the old Princess trick.

Nicholas,
As a marketing professional I would suggest not to send out files but to link them to a website. So the image would be streaming. What he needs is a good copy text on the email, something to arouse receivers attention. And, this is the marketing thing, make sure he puts his message/details on the video. In this case, whenever it is shown and copied his message is still there. And funnily enough, people do not perceive it as being as commercial as regular commercials or videos on a performers own website.

What your friend is doing is actually right on the edge of modern advertising. Sure, the movies and the like have been around for years but we will see a rapid increase of them and their budgets during the next couple of years. (And a very rapid decrease of them after those years.) Until now most videoclips are made as a hobby or just converted from television commercials.
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I'm not sure it would be good advertising. When I first saw one of those I about had a heart attack. I became mad at the guy who sent it. Then after I got over my bad self, I forwarded it to my friends. However, I don't recall looking at the creator's advertisment.

Good luck with this one. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
The key here, is the relevancy of the advertised product/service. A scary moment would do very well for bizzare magic. It would be right for their market segment. Thpse who do not like it would not like the show either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Viral Marketing Via Email (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL