We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » May we have a Bizarre secrets section? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks in the bizarre section would like to have some freedom to discuss presentation AND method at the same time. This tends to make longer posts and also to put method details in the same place as the presentations.

Any chance you could call it "Horns and Hoofs" or "Eye of newt..."

?

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
That would be wonderful! and would make our lives a bit easier around here!

it could be called "i love rainbows" we would be more than happy as long as we have an organised secret session that deals with the bizarre side!

georgie
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
We realize this could open a can of worms, jealousy, and a plethora of "us too" requests from other genre based forums.
But..
It would alleviate some of the searching and weeding out of uninteresting or irrelevant (from our perspective) posts;
We also thought that in order to gain entrance, perhaps instead of just building up a number of posts, those wanting ingress would have to answer a quizz of some kind first.
Of course, who'd decide which questions and answers ? Well, I'm sure most of us would be more than willing to take up that chore, and work together on something the current crop of bizarre regulars would feel happy with, taking that workload off the Café staff.
There would be no more threat to marketed effects' secrets as there currently is in the standard Secret Sessions.
It would enable us to more freely discuss some methodologies however, in a forum where the context is completely pertinent to our interests.
Or... here's a novel thought - but I haven't run this past anyone in the bizarre forum yet - perhaps, if it helped to justify the additional effort, we could share with the mentalists' forum, as many of us on both sides feel there is a great amount of common ground between us.
Just some thoughts.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I second, or third, fourth, whatever, that motion.
It really would be a useful tool for us.

Thanks,

Dave
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im with the guys above it would be great IMHO. And thank you Jonathan for taking it a step foward.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I would love to see a place where Bizarrists can talk more freely about the unique secrets of our genre. There is too much clutter in the general Secret Session for it to be of use to me.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3812 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, we already have such a private forum in French.
Until now, it works perfectly well on invitation only. We have our rules of invitation, but you don't need to be an expert to participate. Every subject* is open without any restriction and the forum is quite humorous, if not delirious sometimes. They're a lot well advanced original routines (and techniques) on many subjects and all participants may use them privately. In case of someone desires perform one of the routines for a paying audience, he just have to ask the creator.
Until now, it works perfectly well.

*We explore mainly bizarre magic but this includes also cheating, cardmagic, close-up, mentalism, stage magic, contract negociation...
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
This could be fun, but having to pass a test or sit before a panel of Inquisitors, as much as we might enjoy heating the irons in the brazier, doesn't seem very practical. The fifty-post milestone for Secret Sessions seems to work OK, because the Café moderators delete graffiti posts by morons who just want to read the "secrets." In the interests of making things workable for our gracious hosts, why not just say that we'll work with the fifty-post limit?

So my vote is "yes" with a fifty-post entry fee. You realize that you folks have made me change my mind with this discussion!

Yours,

Paul
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I vote along with drwilson. I think the 50 post entry is sufficient, but I will go along with the consensus.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
The "quizz" idea was just a thought, but I'm amenable to whatever the consensus is.
For that matter, many a magic website's "secret" question can be googled in under a minute.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm beginning to like the "invitation only" concept. People aren't limited to posting only in one place, so it's likely that the members have already had dealings with new prospects in other forums. This makes testing unnecessary. If they're qualified enough to be asked to join that should suffice.

Just banging on the door yelling "Let me in!" doesn't mean the doors should automatically be thrown open for you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think invitation only is elitist and as I have made plain enough in the past (and possibly paid a price), goes against the original concept of the Café. If people want a private club, JOIN one or START your own, do not try and co-opt what has been going on here - quite successfully I'll add, for some time now. If the Café is turned into a series of test or invite only forums, it will eventually fail. I realize this is only my opinion but if nothing else there are people here who can attest that I am consistent in my opinion.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Frank,
As long as people don't know they exist, then they have no reason to try and get in to somewhere they obviously don't belong.

For example, using another interest of mine, if a guitar player were to try and join the "left-brain luthiers" forum (BTW this is not closed membership, it's just an example)because it concerns guitars, they'd soon learn that talk about monopoles, dipoles, resonances and acoustic theory of spruce vs. cedar is not for them and they'd soon leave. For some forums it's better if the "lookie loo's" didn't get access in the first place to prevent the topics from drifting to "What color guitar should I buy? A blue one or a red one?"
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I like the idea.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
A secret session will be great. I don't really agree with the 50 posts idea.
invitation only would be much better. but that is just my oppinion.

so I vote "YES" with invitation only.

regards

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yes, lets do it...call it..."The dark side"....

but, Im afraid to say, I still shall refraim from posting effects...too much capitalistic vampires waiting in the corners...or so I heard...

!VIVA BIZAR!
Dan Mindo
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
125 Posts

Profile of Dan Mindo
I would like to see a secret sessions area for bizarre magick here. I think the fifty post rule is okay. Not perfect mind you but it does offer some control.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yes.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3812 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Elitist, sure ! Our forum is not an open one; isn't magic a secret thing ? But the quality of the members and the secrecy permit us to develop totally new concepts within a small group. Plus, it's French speaking. And the French language forums are so stupid and low level that most of the interesting people in magic refuse to participate. That's the reason why I like some kind of elitism. It serves magic well.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I vote yes also:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » May we have a Bizarre secrets section? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL