The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Where to buy an oversized linking ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I'm looking for a 12 inch three-linking ring set with a locking key, oversized ring, and regular single. I just checked with Owen and their oversized rings won't be available again until Spring of 2006.

Can anybody offer another source? I've just emailed Auke van Dokkum about the set, and hope they can provide it. But, I'm open to any other sources.

Thanks much!

Ron
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Porper makes 12 1/4" rings.

what do you mean by oversized?

what's up your sleeve ron?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Gay Ljungberg (yes that's his name) of Gycklaren here in Sweden makes a set of five rings for Thore van Rheas rutine witch incudes oversized rings. You can find them on http://www.gycklaren.com.

Jonas Karlsson
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Well, I've contacted Auke and he's going to make me a three ring set (locking key, single, and oversize). I've read a number of reviews on his rings, and they sound excellent.

Frank: The oversized ring is a regular single ring where a normal single will just fit through it. I used to do a three-ring routine in the 80's with an oversize, and there are some really cool things you can do with it. Two moves I discovered by accident - it doesn't seem like it would make a difference, but it does.

Ron
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Talk to Whit. I don't know if he uses that type of ring but I know when it comes to rings, he's your guy.
His rings are huge...15" diameter, 3/4" thick.
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Question: Who was the FIRST to utilize an oversized ring? Answer tomorrow.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It's tomorrow somewhere....

CARDINI

When a young man and demonstrating behing the magic counter at Gamages, he noted that the CHEAP linking ring sets were poorly made, in that they were not all the same size. He found that having ONE oversize ring would allow him to do some clever moves. Hence, he was likely the first ever to take advantage of an oversized ring.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Just to make sure this is the right page to post this question, and from Pete Biro's post above I'm pretty sure it is, I'm not looking for really big linking rings. Rather, one which is just barely big enough to slip a standard ring through. Danny Tong's routine uses four rings, a key, two solids, and such an oversized ring. Danny told me years ago that he got his from Rings N' Things and they no longer deal with rings at all. Anybody have any ideas who does?
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
Some people have had luck with making their owns sets from nearly perfect whole rings at craft stores like Hobby Lobby. You often times can merely break open the weld to form your own notch.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What about slightly distorting a ring to oval shape? Just enough to do the move.
vkurchenkov
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of vkurchenkov
I get my from China Town shops, most of them got cheap rings golden and silver colour in various sizes. Price range 2-4 bucks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Where to buy an oversized linking ring? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL