The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Halloween (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Hey guys,
I know a lot of magicians put on a halloween shows at this time of year, and I'm just curious, what do you guys do? do you still go with the spooky scary kind of thing? or do you not put on a halloween show at all? do you do something unique? just wondering!!
thanx in advance!!
**--snap--**
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I perform primarily for secular crowds (I don't preach to the Choir if I can help it, but I usually get invited for those secular events and paid by Christian groups, unless I am just out doing Street magic.) and although more people want to see "magic" around Halloween, I never get involved in the spooky aspects of Halloween. I just do what I do, and entertain, and mix in a Christian message or two for each group.

I just have never seen how ghosts and goblins, and witches etc, can be God Honoring, so I leave them out of anything I do.

I look at life very simply. If it doesn't Honor God, it Dishonors Him. So just don't go there.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
BroDavid,
Very simple, very clear, and very, very true.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Brodavid, I agree, I never do the spooky kind of thing for holloween. actually, I usually perform for the harvest party at my church. many of the kids here know me as a magician, and the harvest party provides a safe, God-honoring alternative to trick or treating. anyway, thanx for the responses, keep them coming!!
**--snap--**
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Well said, bro.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Personally, I love Bizarre Magic and my Spirit Spelling Board & I will be heading over to Starbucks on All Hallow's Eve, accompanied by my Haunted Key, Glorpy, VooDoo Ashes, and a deck of cards -- after a paying, straight Magic gig.

IMO, the Christian Church should be more concerned about divorce, abortion, alcoholism, alienation, and other substantive issues, and spend less of its effort fretting over superstition.

Leland
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
LeLand,

Avoiding these things, in no way means that anyone condones "divorce, abortion, alcoholism, alienation, and other substantive issues." (also known as SINS)

This discussion wasn't about those things. It was about spooky scary Halloween shows. That is why the comments relate to them .

You comments sound more than a bit defensive and a little like an attack on the other posters. But regardless, I can tell you that my comments (and I don't see that anyone Else's were either) were not intended to attack you or anyone else who has managed to put performing Bizarre magic into a context that is acceptable to them.

I assume by your postings here in this forum, that you are a Christian.

If that is true, then whether or not you do Bizarre magic is between you and God. And if you are good with it, and you believe that God is good with it, then you shouldn't care what anyone else says anyway.

Just because I don't see how it can Glorify God, doesn't mean that someone else can not. Hopefully that helps clarify the issue that no one is attacking you, or Bizarre performance oriented Christians.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, BroDavid:

I appreciate your clarification.

Yes, I am a Christian, but no, I didn't feel attacked. Snap inquired as to my plans for Halloween, which I posted; the pontification on a topic near and dear to my heart was a bonus Smile

Leland
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
When I do magic with a Halloween theme, it usually is themed around Candy.. but that is just my weakness (Grin).

Actually, the one time I did a themed show for a High School group was to use it in the realm that if "I" can do this... it must be faked. I don't tip anything, but the students I am performing for know me very well.

Perhaps that is the key as well. I don't think I would do this for a group that didn't already have a relationship with me, and trust already built.

However, I am doing a show around Rites of Passage, which some of the presentations can come close to bizarre. But it isn't in a church setting, so I wonder.

John
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
My Halloween show is based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe so it is spooky without being occult. It is geared for older kids however, the ten to sixteen set which makes it highly desirable to libraries as they have trouble finding programing for their teen read programs.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
As with almost all "holidays", Halloween has been relagated to entertainment and fun. The underlying meaning of Halloween is much more serious and focuses on the occult. This would be a problem for many Christian magicians. I try to avoid any "Halloween" type of magic show. I do my standard stuff and hand out candy. I often volunteer for my local church to celebrate their "Fall Fun Festival", the alternative to Halloween.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The only "occult" meanings of Halloween are those foisted upon it by the Christians who usurped the holiday for their own purposes.
The original Celtic holiday of Samhain was basically their New Years and Harvest celebration.
Contrary to popular mythos Druid Priests did not go door to door seeking human sacrifice. In fact there is no reputable evidence that the Druids ever partook of this practice.
The devils and demons associated with this holiday today are all Christian symbology and origin as Satan is a Christian Deity not a Celtic one.
If you are going to start obsessing about the underlying meaning of holidays then you're going to have to start chucking out Christmas and Easter as well for those two holidays happen to fall on major Pagan festival days as well and too are chucked full of underlying occult themes if you are looking for them.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Payne, you should know better than that.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
And I do. Show me any reputable evidence that Samhain was in anyway an "occult" holiday as practiced by the Celts. They believed that the dead could walk the earth on that night and performed divination rituals but they weren't calling up dark forces or sacrificing humans to horned gods and they certainly weren't enlisting the aid of Satan or any of his minions as they weren't in their pantheon of gods.

For most of us Halloween is a night of fun and a chance to dress up. For others its a time to adopt a "Holier than thou" attitude and fret over the fact that somewhere someone is having more fun than they are.
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
I am performing on Halloween. but to an alternative Halloween Party
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Payne's assessment of the issues of Halloween are indeed spot on. Anyone who takes the time to do deep research on this topic will come to the same conclusions.

Before we who are Christians project images on to another faith whatever it is we should remember the accusations of cannabalism put onto the early church surrounding the eucharist.

Agree or disagree any and all forms of paganism and Druidism, or any other religion but do it on the basis of truth, not distortions and lies.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 15:38, Payne wrote:
The only "occult" meanings of Halloween are those foisted upon it by the Christians who usurped the holiday for their own purposes.

Woah, hold on boys. I posted, left, and did not scan my post. I had thought that I had quoted the above, and only the above statement. When I looked this morning, all I saw was my own statement.

So let me clarify.

Yes, I fully realize that Payne is accurate re: the history of Halloween. But my objection rose from the what seemed to be the opinion that Christians are the only ones who, past *or* present, who use Halloween's occult significance (for good or ill). From Payne's next post it sounds as if I misinterpreted the point he was originally making. And so, my apologies. I was not referring to the origins of Halloween.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 17:44, Payne wrote:
For most of us Halloween is a night of fun and a chance to dress up. For others its a time to adopt a "Holier than thou" attitude and fret over the fact that somewhere someone is having more fun than they are.

The second statement is quite an oversimplification. I have a lot of fun with Halloween, but to say that those who have much stronger objections to it are doing so simply because others are having more fun loses the force of your argument.
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
Our church will be doing an alternative event for Halloween. "His Light in a Dark Night" Lots of light and no scarey type stuff , carnival games, puppets and magic.

It all boils down to Bro David's first statement "If it doesn't Honor God, it Dishonors Him." 73 Donnie
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 07:55, Euangelion wrote:
Payne's assessment of the issues of Halloween are indeed spot on. Anyone who takes the time to do deep research on this topic will come to the same conclusions.

Before we who are Christians project images on to another faith whatever it is we should remember the accusations of cannabalism put onto the early church surrounding the eucharist.

Agree or disagree any and all forms of paganism and Druidism, or any other religion but do it on the basis of truth, not distortions and lies.

Wow, wouldn't that be nice. Having gone to Christian Schools growing up I can attest to unbelievable levels of distortion and lies on things such as other than Christian Religions, Rock & Roll (they even had assemblies on it!), Halloween and any other thing they wanted to steer people away from. Having a mind of my own, I found it all incredibly pathetic, patronizing and manipulative - not attributes that a Christian should exhibit, nor model.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Halloween (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL