The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ukraine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Hey guys,
next summer I am going to go on a missions trip to the ukraine. this is something I'm really looking forward to, we will get to socialize with the kids there and do a lot of comunity service, as well as work for God. anyway, my question to you is, what magic should I bring? I know that this has been posted before, but I wanted something that fit these circumstances. before you reply, you'll have to remember a couple of things:

1. I want to get across, somehow, the message of God through magic
2. we will have little to none communication with these people, asside from a translator, and I don't see that working out too well for magic
3. I have a limited baggage amount, therefore, I can't be carrying around a bunch of stage props, unless I want to wear the same clothes for an entire week Smile

so, I would like to have some stuff that is preferably silent, packs small, and that can still get across the gospel.
good luck, and thanks for the help!!!
**--snap--**
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
God bless as you go. I am leading a mission trip to Ukraine that leaves tomorrow (9/29). It is my favorite place to go.

As for effects, most any effect can be adapted into an effect that shares the Gospel in some way - some better than others, of course. Use your imagination and have fun!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Working thru an interpreter is not that difficult. Pare down your patter and give it one sentence (short) at a time. I performed several shows for a Japanese teens and it went over pretty well. For Japanese, defining sin is the problem. Don't know how that will be in the Ukraine. I also did some gospel magic in Russia using the same idea. Tricks used were: GOD SIN MAN using the G'Ma's necklace idea. C & R rope, T & R newspaper, DT with red and white silk (Is. 1:18 reference). I have also developed a routine using Daryl's Jumping Knot of Pakistan. God bless
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Chessmann, I will be praying for your voyage. let me know how it goes!!
and, leftytheclown, I'm not sure about their conception of certain biblical issues, but my pastor has been on a couple of trips to the ukraine, so I'll ask him. thank you so much for your advice!!!!
**--snap--**
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Don't expect anyone to know what you are talking about if you havent made the definition clear. This is a lot harder with an interpreter, but as Lefty said, work on being brief and direct - just deliver the facts....

Sin is a tough concept. I find that even in the United States, a lot of people really don't understand sin. A lot of them think of Murder, and maybe a few others... as sin. But everything else, and even murder under the right conditions is OK. For most people right and wrong are conditional considerations. In other words, based on my condition, it might be right, or not. They don't realize that Sin is lieing (no matter how convenient the motive makes it) and stealing (even if you really want it and cant afford it) and lusting after another (Even if you think God made you with a high sex drive...) and lots of other "wrongs" are sin too. But today, there is hardly any unchanging standard of "right".

So I make sure that if I am doing a routine about Sin, I explain what I mean by Sin. And if I am doing a routine about Salvation, I explain what that means.

Snap, I have a couple of effects of my own creation that pack flat and would be easy to take. PM me with your address, and I will send a coulple of things off to you. If you like them, you can use them on the trip, and have plenty of time to practice (not that they take a lot of practice) and if you don't like them, you can give them away.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Snap
I just returned from Ghana Africa where I was able to do a couple of programs as an opener for my pastor. We used two translators at once. They spoke French and whatever the local language was (pronounced tree, not sure of the spelling). It did throw timing off for me as well as the pastor waiting for all three of us to speak. While the translating was going on I had plenty of time to be theatrical. Just remember to let the translator finish before revealing.

Some of the things I take.
-Russian Color changing Rings
-Color Changing Wreaths
-Disappearing Cain
-Disappearing Candle
-Palmos
-Dye tube
-Hank Balls
-Thumb tips
-Silks for all the above (Jesus face, butterfly, red and white streamers, etc.)
-Rope and scissors
-Stiff rope
-Newspaper
-Dog Choker chain and brass ring
-Splendo/Blendo
-Silk Fountain

and much more.

I use an aluminum tool box from Home Dept. for my case.
I also take a small table top and microphone stand.

I'll be praying for you and your team. Same for you Chessmann.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Hey ChrisG, that is a great selection of pack small - play big effects for anywhere. Looks like you shop at Laflins magic a lot Smile

Most of that (I do Chinese linking rings instead of color change and Russion rings) is what I also carry for my festival shows.

With the silks, I start with Splendo, and I do a routine about God's Favorite color, and how beautiful a creation he has made. Then after producing all of the colored silks when I go to the Silk Fountain, I talk about how much more beautiful it must be in Heaven, and the beauty of the Silk fountain unfolding really cements the point. And all of the way through the routine there is plenty of time for discussion about how you get to Heaven.

I havent done a festival in a month or so, and had actually forgotten what I have packed in that case and how well it would play on a missions trip. Thanks for posting your list.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Hey, guys,
you have great ideas!! thank you sooooo much for the responses. brodavid, I sent you a pm. chirsg, that's a great list of tricks, I'll have to look into the ones I don't have. thanks so much!!!
**--snap--**
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
BroDavid

Yes, Mr. Laflin has been very good to do business with as well as learn from. In fact he will be at the Midwest Regional FCM Conference on Oct. 14-15 in Indianapolis. No doubt he will have something that I can't live without.(http://www.fcmmidwest.org/)

I hope to add linking rings as well as cups and balls in the near future.

After having my prop case lost more than once I have learned that I can put hours of material in a very small case. In fact my HD tool box is considered a personal case not a carry-on. This insures that it will always get to my destination with me although scissors have to be in the checked luggage.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
This exact same question was asked by a different users but the exact same wording used. Hmmmm that's strange. Created only a week apart.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......6&17
Daniel Faith
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Back to Bro David's post in part:

<Sin is a tough concept. I find that even in the United States, a lot of people really don't understand sin. A lot of them think of Murder, and maybe a few others... as sin. But everything else, and even murder under the right conditions is OK. For most people right and wrong are conditional considerations. In other words, based on my condition, it might be right, or not. They don't realize that Sin is lieing (no matter how convenient the motive makes it) and stealing (even if you really want it and cant afford it) and lusting after another (Even if you think God made you with a high sex drive...)and lots of other "wrongs" are sin too. But today, there is hardly any unchanging standard of "right". >

How do we define sin? In Japanese, the word sin translates to murder, rape, assault, etc. The Japanese do not consider themselves sinners under this definition. They do have strong family ties (Shinto), so my goal was first to tell my audience that there was a creator who loved them. I then (tried!) explained that just as disobeying our parents is wrong, so is disobeying our creator and "heavenly"Father. All this has to be said before I even do my routines.

There has been a lot of effort to redefine right and wrong in America. It is difficult to present an unchanging moral standard in today's society. We want to define fidelity, honesty, integrity, lust, pride, and other concepts on man's standards which are very flexible. I am especially concerned for our youth. How do we convey the truth of sin and its consequences?
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Ukraine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL