The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » The Silhouette Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I thought this was pretty cool. Is she spinning clockwise or counter clockwise?

Click here to check it out.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
I can usually see both possibilities with optical illusions, but this one I can only see counter clockwise. But others I just showed saw it as clockwise.

Lynne
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Ahhhh. I went back a few minutes later and now she is going clockwise and I can't get her to go counter clockwise. I seem to have to go away to change the impression. Very weird.

Lynne
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
If you look on the site a little longer she changes direction while you are watching,mike
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I look at different parts of the screen to make it change directions. Such as looking at the blank section to the right or left of it. I also find that if I stare at the shadow on the bottom it sometimes changes.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Counter clockwise for me too!

Clockwise for a male observer viewing it at the same time !!!

- maybe its to do with whether your male or female! Clever!

Bext

ML x
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Oh oh. Now its clockwise here too!
Nice one Jaxon - it will drive me mad for ages now Smile

Best
ML x
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just went back to it again and I discovered a way I can control it's direction. Once I got the hang of it it's worked every time.

I close my eyes for a few seconds until I can visualize it spinning in a certain direction. The outstretched leg is what I mostly picture moving in either direction. Imagine that leg moving right or left for a few moments. Then when you open your eyes again it'll be turning in what ever direction you visualized.

Not sure if that'll work for everyone but it works for me.

Ron Jaxon

mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
It is appearing to be moving in one direction,which I believe it is ,its your subconscience mind allows for it to appear to reverse direction,this is noticable when you look at the base of her legs when you start to lose concentration,,,very clever,Jaxon how did you find this, mike
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6188 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I tried somethng that seemed to work for me... I tracked the foot that was kicking outwards and rocked back and forth towards the screen... when I rocked in a clockwise direction so did the figure, but when I switched direction it did too.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Its getting addictive!

:)
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
When I found this I was looking for information on stage illusions that use a silhouette. So I just happened to stumble upon this and thought it was pretty neat.

I know what you mean Magic Lady. It can be kind of addictive. I show it to people that come over and we end up looking at it for 10 minutes or so. Smile

Ron Jaxon

Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
565 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I see it in counter-clockwise directio, and cannot change it with the mental tricks you have suggested. I think I'll leave it there and check it out again later after lunch Smile

Dave
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Try looking at the foot on the upright/straight leg and staring at THAT for a moment or two, then look at the direction?

Alternatively, the rocking backwards and forwards as you view it worked for another.

(If not, the rocking could serve to comfort you as to the fact that you cant see it BOTH ways like the rest of us) Smile Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Okay, try this one. My friend, looking over my shoulder, sees on leg going left as the other one goes right!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
She is going counterclockwise, I can't get her to go clockwise, I tried every one.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Greg, what do you mean by rock clockwise.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
She would stop for a second or two.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
Have had here change speed.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Another way to demostrate the ambiguity of the silhouette:
Ask a group of observers, "Which of the dancer's legs is
raised, her right...or her left?"

To see her spin clockwise, you must convince yourself that she
has her right leg raised and is pivoting on her left leg.

To see her spin counterclockwise, you must convince yourself
that she has her left leg raised and is pivoting on her right.

Stan Alger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » The Silhouette Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL