The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pet Peeves with Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I really didn't know where to put this. So if it needs to be moved please do so. I was just wanting to know what fellow magicians pet peeves are about other magicians. I am not posting this to start a huge debate over any thing. If it pertains to any one on this board please to not use any names. I would have to say some of my Biggest peeves are Magicians that "know" How every little effect is done. They can be watching magic on tv or live and they turn to you and say, I know how he did that. It's really simple. Then they find out the magician is marketing it. So the work that much harder to figure out the effect so they don't have to purchase the item. This has been happening a lot with the release of Sinful on Criss Angels new DVD. Every one seems to think they know hows its done. Yet they have no proof that they know how its done, and done like it is taught. Another thing is magicians that wont disconnect from their knowledge and just enjoy magic. I have been involved with magic for over 15 years and I am still very entertained by it. Especially stage magic and illusions. I know how a lot of illusions work, But that doesn't keep me from enjoying it and being amazed by it to this day.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Well, being fairly new to magic, I haven't had the chance to develop too many magician pet peeves. The magicians I have met in person and here in the Café have been very friendly and enormously helpful and generous with their advice. Having said that, there are a couple of things that bug me about some.

When a magician tries to adopt a persona that does not fit him or her, it can be painfully obvious. I just want to shout "be yourself, not that rock-and-roll hipster you're pretending to be" because it detracts from the magic.

Another one is when magicians use their marketing tools, especially websites, to tell people why they won't get as good of a show from the "other guys" for whatever reason. It's the same thing that turns me off about negative political advertising - why can't you just talk about what is special about you, instead of mentioning your perceived shortcomings of other magicians?

Peace.

- Steve
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Magicians being clowns. Its ok to be a magic clown. But when you dress up as a clown and act like a magician. Its weird. Cranky the clown!! Not saying we are cranky or anything! Corey, you are very right, magicians look at shows and just keep going on on how they are better, or that trick could have been better. I watch, and enjoy. David blaine for example, (the poor man is always gettin talked about) I don't really like his patter, I could do better patter than him, but he is a very good magician. Regardless of what anyone else says. I was learning the ambitious card and then I seen a Blaine episode where he did it. I thought "Im gonna learn that!" When I learned it. I seen another episode, the same one. He did the ambitous card, and then I thought of the one I learned (the Oz Pearlman one) And thought, "man, I cant do that the way I learned it" He was a magician fooler for me that day! I don't care for him much, but there is a reason why he is on tv.
-Cory.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
My peeve are the guys who no longer perform, but turn up at meetings and conventions and talk constantly that they only come for a cheap night out and would rather spend their time in the bar.
I've even seen name lecturers given the treatment.
They follow this by offering advise to new magi.

I also know guys with web-sites, cards amd the other stuff but have never performed for the public. They will, of course, show their latest trick to any magician they can corner.
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
200 Posts

Profile of Sean
Move junkies. Those magicians that love to go on and one about obscure moves whether devised by them or others that only serve to clutter up classic and useful moves. Do we really need another pass or top change? When I hear some magician talk of his riffle snort thumb jog or half-nelson side pass I must stifle my urge to simultaneously laugh and beat the speaker upside the head.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Corey,

My pet peeve is other magicians who have pet peeves.

We are a part of a brotherhood. We should be mentoring each other, helping each other, building each other up. We should be selling other magicians as great magicians. We should be giving a pat on the back instead of a slap on the face.

Why even bring up pet peeves. I suggest we talk about Pet Projects and all the wonderful brothers who have helped us polish them to perfection.

But I just like to be positive.

Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
200 Posts

Profile of Sean
Quote:
On 2005-10-01 14:10, Kipp Sherry wrote:
Corey,

We are a part of a brotherhood. We should be mentoring each other, helping each other, building each other up. We should be selling other magicians as great magicians. We should be giving a pat on the back instead of a slap on the face.

Why even bring up pet peeves. I suggest we talk about Pet Projects and all the wonderful brothers who have helped us polish them to perfection.

Kipp Sherry

Group hug!
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Hey Kipp, I see you are from Boise, ID. I grew up in Moutain home afb, ID and used to make weekly visits with my family to boise. Is Jokers Wild still the only magic shop there? I know we are supposed to be a brotherhood. But unfortunatley things don't work out that way to much. I am very thankful to my mentor of the last year in helping me to make my magic grow. I didn't have that when I was younger learning magic. I have no problems helping people with magic and mentoring them. But if we were a true brotherhood we wouldnt have this constant bickering, and costant stance of other magicians trying to rip each others stuff apart. If you know how some thing works that is being marketed and think that its stupid, then fine. But don't start telling every one the method to hurt the creator. Another thing is if you don't like a product, THen that is fine. But don't try to bad mouth it all the time. I have as well as several here purchased things that they thought were horrible. I know I have just recently. But I'm not going to sit here and bad mouth it just because I thought the method was horrible or the props werent all that great. Just my thoughts.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2005-10-01 14:10, Kipp Sherry wrote:
Corey,

Kipp Sherry

Kipp, you are absolutley right! I think we should stop talking about other magicians and what they do wrong and such, and unite as brothers (and sisters) and put aside out differences. Like Sean said, Group hug!!
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Corey,

Yes. Joker's Wild is still the only magic shop in town. Kinda sad huh? Nice to see you once lived in this fine state. Do you still have family here in Boise? I may just know them.

Concerning pet peeves, remember that you can view the glass as half empty or half full. Ocassionaly we run across someone, like the Masked Magician, who needs reprimand, but most of the time pet peeves are just a difference of opinion.

This forum is for New Magicians. We should not welcome them into the fold by encouraging them to find pet peeves. I think in this forum we should give more "group hugs".

Break a wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Kipp,

Yes that is pretty sad that Jokers wild is still the only magic shop. I got my first magic set from them and a money changer from them when I was seven and just getting into magic. Good lord that was like 16 years ago. Now I feel old. You are right we should not encourage new magicians to find pet peeves. But along with that I think we should let them know they should be cautious of some magicians as well. There are a lot that are willing to help, but there are some that if you show them something that you are working on that will take that idea from you instead of help with it.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
The first thing a new magician should learn is to keep his Ego intact and under control. The reason artists develop pet peeves about each other is very often because their egos clash. All the complaints about magicians and what they do relate to ego problems and human beings' fear of being inferior to another one. The possibility of me becoming the "Best" magician ever or the one who knows the most is impossible and I cope with that. Besides, I don't want the pressure of that kind of a title.
So here is another group hug.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I agree that it would be great to see more encouragement between magicians. Over all most magicians I know are pretty nice and encouraging to fellow magicians but there is some negative attitudes there too.

Which brings me to my pet peeves. We can try to help those who need it. Maybe you happen to be a little ahead of another magician on a certain move or concept. So when you see another magician making a mistake it's nice to be able to help them out. My pet peeve would be those who don't seem to want to improve on something they need to improve on. I'll give you an example.

I was at a magic club meeting and one of the magicians there did a very poor Elmsley count. He's a very good performer but this one move needed a little work. After giving him his due credit for a good performance (which he did give) I gave him a few tips on his Elmsley count. I didn't try to help him in a "know it all" attitude. The thing is he just didn't seem interested in improving the move. His attitude was that he's never been called on it so it must be good enough. I jokingly told him that I had just "called him on it". Smile

I followed that with asking him for advice on a move that he does much better then me because I was having a hard time mastering it. He jumped right in there. He seemed to actually enjoy helping me with the move then me helping him with one of his moves. He was more into the latest one handed cut and shuffle then a more practical move (such as the Elmsley count).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
ABC,

Spot on! I've been doing magic for over 40 years and I have no dilutions that I am the “Best” at anything. I admit that I am Inferior to most, equal to a few, and only better than I myself was a year ago.

Ron,

I've never been to Kalamazoo, but I would love to here your pointers on my routines if you're ever in Boise.

Break a Wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
ABC,

Spot on! I've been doing magic for over 40 years and I have no dilutions that I am the “Best” at anything. I admit that I am Inferior to most, equal to a few, and only better than I myself was a year ago.

Ron,

I've never been to Kalamazoo, but I would love to here your pointers on my routines if you're ever in Boise.

Break a Wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
My pet peeve isn't with magicians but how many define "magician". We have reavealers, secret seekers and tricksters who often lump themselves into the category of "magician". If we just follow a websters definition I certainly don't qualify..yet. Then we could get into a debate on how many define "performance" too so I'll stop here.
pedrothegreat
View Profile
New user
Southampton - UK
50 Posts

Profile of pedrothegreat
I have not really met many other magicians so (as with Mercury) I have not had a chance to develop any Magician pet peeves. However I do a lot of rock climbing and have pet peeves about other climbers that relates to Ron Jaxon's point.
There are quite a few climbers who are better than me. However from an onlookers point of view I can quite often spot where they are going wrong or at least where they are making things difficult for themselves. When I offer some advice they quite often ignore it because they are "better" than me therefore my opinion doesn't count.
Therefore, although I haven't met any magicians like this, my pet peeve for any skilled hobby or interest is the people who refuse to take advice from those who are "not as good" as them. Just because they cant execute the move, doesn't mean they can't spot when it is done wrong.

As for the group hug thing, I'm all for it.... but life is all about balance. with everything you get good and bad, things you like and things you don't. It is hugely important to encourage people but talking about the bad points is just as important. Otherwise it just gets bottled up and it can eat at you and cause you to lose interest. I think a good rant about the bad points is a good thing and can be just as satisfying as encouragement (as long as it doesn't get personal!).
pedrothegreat

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public

don't have a magic website but i have a cool car styling website at www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
I don't like magicians who think that it's their way or the highway. I think we (and I use we only in the sense that we all perform tricks for people; I am nowhere close to 99% of the magicians on this forum) can develop a tendency to look down on people who don't see things (everything from ethics in magic to ways to perform a sleight to books vs. dvds) in the same way. In a sense this is understandable since all of us learned one way and, especially in the case of a magician who has managed to make a career or even a name for himself, this can lead to a sense of superiority that must be corralled.

For example, I don't like card tricks that use gimmick cards or that involve lots of dealing or are too long. Fortunately I have managed to limit my prejudice against these kinds of tricks is limited to just that: the tricks. I don't deny that these are effective in many a magician's hand.
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
In medicine, doctors support doctors...In law, attorneys support attorneys...In magic, magicians support magicians. Strong egos and bad apples will never be supported by the masses. They give us all a bad name.

Top of the day,
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
On an earlier post I mentioned that you can either look at the glass as half empty or half full. Conventional wisdom will tell you that depending on how you see the glass you are either an optimist or a pessimist.

I prefer to look at it another way. What if the glass is the wrong size? Example: You have 6 ounces of water in a 12 ounce glass. What if the glass was a 32 ounce glass? It would look like you were ripped off. What if the glass were a 4 ounce glass? Your cup would be over flowing. Now that's thinking outside the box and being creative. I myself prefer to think originally like this instead of falling into the trap of "group think".

You can easily see how this concept works in magic. Just look at the basic concept of the Milk Picture. Someone had to think creatively and outside the box to come up with that device.

Now let's turn this around and apply it to the topic of this thread. All of the extremely successful magicians have a team of people helping them. They rely on the expertise of others to create a new illusion. They rely on the expertise of others to perform a new routine. They rely on the expertise of others to market the performance.

I think one of the big differences between amateur and a professional magicians is how much they are willing to listen to others.

So here is what I propose. When you meet a magician who gives you cause to have a pet peeve, think outside the box. Realize that the other magicians are only hurting themselves. You in turn can soak up all that good advice and further yourself as a professional. Or, you can let it get to you and let it turn you into a bitter person with lots of pet peeves.

Group Hug and
Break a Wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pet Peeves with Magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL