The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Where to buy 5" chrome ring? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Does any one know where I can buy 5" Chrome or Brass ring for Ring and Rope routine? Appreciate any input.
Thanks
Ken
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I have ones like this which is a 4" ring which I find the preferable size for ring and rope. PM me if you are interested. It is polished steel and has very nice heft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/i......Rope.gif
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I have seen heavy duty key rings (not MAGIC key rings, but more like janitor key rings) at hardware stores for around 3-4 bucks, maybe less.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I bought one of Evangelion's 4" rings and I'm very satisfied.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I purchased a bunch at a leather workers supply store. I believe they are ment for use on horse saddles, however, they are weighted great and only cost $1.50 a piece!!!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Horse Bridle Rings..

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've never seen bridle rings bigger than 3" or 3-1/2" in diameter, and I'm in tack shops all the time - I own three Arabian horses.

Nevertheless, they're good ring-and-rope rings.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
WalMart sells a ring that is 4 or 5 inches in diameter in their craft department. It's only 28 cents! Kind of lightweight, but I've used it for magic tricks and it works great for my needs. They also have other sizes as well.
PennyMagic4U
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of PennyMagic4U
Lowe's Hardware will order them for you. Tell them the size and they will order. I had to buy 6 to get the order placed. They came out to be about $2.50 each 5 inch silver colored rings.
Good Luck
PennyMagic4U by Jerry Penny
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Thank you all for the feedback. PennyMagic4U, can you tell me how thick is the ring you ordered from Lowe? The ring from Walmart is too thin and too light. For rope and ring trick, the thickness I need range from .30" to .50".
Thanks
Ken
PennyMagic4U
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of PennyMagic4U
Sorry - I did my best to check thickness - not as thick as you want.
PennyMagic4U by Jerry Penny
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Thank you for your reply.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
The 4" rings I have are a full 1/4"+ thick and cost $5 plus shipping. They are nice an heavy which adds to some moves.

Several people on the board have bought them and all are pleased.
Bill Esborn

DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Bill,

Is your ring seamless? Looks like there is a seam at twelve o' clock in your picture?

Thanks!
-DeWayne
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
I recently saw a website that featuring a 5 inch brass ring, I just cannot find it to save my life.
Anyone knows this site?
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
No it is not seamless. It is a heavy welded ring. Personally I think weld points are only important on thin rings which people may think are spreadable. The size and weight of these has never lead a person to have a concern.

Juggleral has one of my rings if you want to ask someone a question. These rings are very substantial. I, also, prefer a 4" ring over a 5" ring because it fits the hand for many moves better than either larger or smaller ones for my hand size.
Bill Esborn

Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 18:41, Euangelion wrote:
No it is not seamless. It is a heavy welded ring. Personally I think weld points are only important on thin rings which people may think are spreadable. The size and weight of these has never lead a person to have a concern.

I will have to disagree here. People might not tell you their concerns, but if they are thinking about it is as bad as if they tell you. Having perform this routine with different rings, the opinion that I get from different people is if there is a seam you are able to open it somehow, they don´t know how, but they know you can open it. As everyone knows this is not the case, but it is for the spectators, and that kills the magic.

That is my 2 cents
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I tried all over the USA trying to find seamless 4" and 5" rings and I was not very unsuccessful. I must have spent 5-6 hours online and calling all over the USA. I finally found a kindof nautical machine shop somewhere in (or near) Astoria Oregon, USA (if memory serves me correctly) that had seamless rings but I can't recall the name of the shop or the material that the rings were made from. I think they were bronze...but I'm not certain. This was about a year ago; I was checking for a magician in Austalia, and, after I sent him the info, I just kind of forgot about the particulars.

Hope this info might help you trace the rings down in Astoria. Maybe contacting the Astoria Chamber of Commerce would be a good first start.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
It is hard to find large metal seamless rings. I think only magicians need the feature. In real world such thing is not very relevant. Curtainrings are an exception but they are not too large.
I bought a seamless chrome ring about 5 inches at the blackpool convention a couple of years ago. It was very expensive but worth the investment.
If there is no visible weldingpoint laypeople are not bothering you to long with examination (and believe me, they still might think there is an opening somewhere), but something also important is that if you spin the ring on a piece of rope it will not stick. I've found that the weldingpoints in some of my older rings were fraying the white rope.

If you find one buy it if these concerns matter to you. If not just stick to what you can get at normal shops!

Plastic may be a good choice as well and for a oriental themed act I bought a very nice jade bracelet. Look in chinese shops for that!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-11-03 09:29, Carlos Hampton wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 18:41, Euangelion wrote:

I will have to disagree here. People might not tell you their concerns, but if they are thinking about it is as bad as if they tell you. Having perform this routine with different rings, the opinion that I get from different people is if there is a seam you are able to open it somehow, they don´t know how, but they know you can open it. As everyone knows this is not the case, but it is for the spectators, and that kills the magic.

That is my 2 cents

Carlos, I truly believe this is like so many things. It is running when we are not being chased. In walk around or close-up I let people handle these props alll of the time, but never without a joke or a gag. In other words never as proof.

In my baudily nuanced Renaissance Faire Routine it goes as follows:

"It is for this latter purpose that I now offer you a simple tale of the ring and the rope.

Please, good sir, consider now this ring./ Is it solid and pure?/ Do you find any deceits,/ breaks/ or holes in it?/ Did you not see this one. Sir?/ There is another like it/ on the other side./ For without a hole/ there will turn no trick,/ nor will we/ this crowd/ be pleasing.

My lady,/ please peruse this rope./ Do you find it to your pleasing?/ Hold it firmly in you grasp/ and tug/ and if you find it supple,/ it is yet strong,/ so let us pray, that we may make/ the most of it/ and press on to good conclusions.

Now watch, for thus it goes,/ on -- and off./ Amazing, yes,/ for certain.

I’m sorry, sir, /you seem distraught and skeptic/ and I understand for I am, too. /But it is not /of my own choosing.

Watch again … / First on, and stop… / what’s that you say / that I should move my finger, / yes, sir, my lord, / I must comply / to one of such keen nature.

Oh, remove my finger. / Would you have me think / that you believe / I am dishonest?/ For your sake, sir, / I so comply. / And more than that / I will withdraw / my hand completely / thus showing you / I am no man / most common in deceit or guile.

Watch again, / the ring is on, / and now is off, / let me keep the ends /far from the ring / then slowly bring it to the dark / and see, the two are joined / again as one."

and it goes on from there. And by then who cares, they have handled the props with gags, my pseudo-Elizabethan linguistic gate demands their attention to get the plays on words, I have admitted I am a liar and deceit albeit a good one. The energy is high. Who cares about some weld mark.

On stage more than 20 feet away and no one can see the weld anyway so it doesn't matter. There are so many other things that are more important in a ring and rope routine that really the weld doesn't matter in the least. I have bounced rings off the floor and back into my hand (the ring is that solid),I've spun it on the rope in various ways, I've challenged the biggest guy at hand to pull it apart, and I let the ring hang from the rope far away from my hands long enough for see the ring well. I use toss and drops moves that would be impossible to hit a gap or trap.

Now after hundreds maybe thousands of performances I can absolutely say no one has ever suspected any kind of gap or trap since the routine was polished. Why? Because I don't handle it like there is one and that is because there isn't, in fact my opening false hook up on my little finger transfers suspcion onto my hands if anything and then they forget about the ring. It is not politeness the audience simply understands it is a bad explanation and let it go.

If you worry about it they will, too, if you don't they won't.
Bill Esborn

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Where to buy 5" chrome ring? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL