We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnson Cups & Balls set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rmofsky
View Profile
New user
Boston
29 Posts

Profile of rmofsky
Hey Cafésters,

Has anyone used Johnson Products brass cups & balls?

The weight is nice. Is there anything else to consider?

Your advice is most appreciated?

As a newcomer to c & b's I can't afford a really expensive set. but my aluminum set just has to go.

thanx,

r
www.adventuresintourism.com "...about the thrill of escape and the vehicles that take you there..."
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I use the Johnson brass cups. I can't reccomend them highly enough. I love them.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I have a set of Johnson Cups and like them very much. In this price range (approx. $200) you could step up a notch and get smooth copper or brass Sherwood cups for $75 more. Take your time and look around, in this range there are many options. You may want to ask yourself what you want for final loads. The Sherwood cups deliver a tennis ball, the Johnson cups will accommodate a lacrosse ball.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The copper "Babe" cups are a great choice in this price range as well.

They're available from Gazzo at http://www.magicpitch.com
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I love the feel of the Johnson Products cups. I just wish they would take a larger load. I prefer copper as well. Other than that, they are fantastic cups.

I use "Babes".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Yep, they're great also if you want to add the combo feature. I don't have them because they don't offer copper.....
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
I bought the JP brass cups this week, from a fellow Café member. Have spent the last couple of nights practicing my Williamson routine with these and all I can say is that they are really, really nice. If you feel the investment is worth it, go for it. If you are serious about the C & B´s, it is time to leave the aluminum behind. (I´m keeping my Morrisey´s in case my young son who is now four, shares my interest in magic when he is a little older).

Good luck.

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
rmofsky
View Profile
New user
Boston
29 Posts

Profile of rmofsky
Thanks guys,

My preference has gotta be copper. Also, I like the idea of using a tennis ball for a load. Nice color contrast. Do you know if a baseball is roughly the same size as a tennis ball?

Does anyone make mini-tennis balls for cups and balls. though that might be too "cute."

I'll take a look at the "babe" cups.

Plus, Mr. Fitzwilly, are you referring to the Babe cups? Or some other cups when you mention the "combo" feature. What is the combo feature?

=r
www.adventuresintourism.com "...about the thrill of escape and the vehicles that take you there..."
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
In a combo set, one cup is chopped...I have the Bazar set, bought for under 60 bucks and they are copper and I am in LOVE with them...big final loads...

and yes, get rid of the aluminum ASAP Smile they are depressing...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mr. Fitzwilly is referring to the Johnson brass cups with a matching chop cup, thus making it a "combo" set. The tip off is that he was wishing they came in copper. Johnson's don't.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Real baseballs are slightly larger than a tennis ball. However, there are training baseballs available that are about the same size. You can get them from Dick's Sports. What you want is an 8.5" baseball. They go by circumference.

Easton and Rawlings both make these. If you can find them locally, then that's the best thing to do, otherwise you need to order a dozen of them.

The 8.5 inch ball will fit into the Sherwoods.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rmofsky
View Profile
New user
Boston
29 Posts

Profile of rmofsky
Thanks for the info guys.

Hope everyone has a swell weekend.

-r
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
463 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Only downside to the Johnson's is that they feel top heavy to me. The brass rings nice, but I still prefer my Babes. I have had my Johnson's for over a year, and I am still handling them daily to build a patina. Brass will look the part in about 2 months. If thinking about the Sherwood's, don't forget to add the $50 shipping into the equation.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I got my Johnson's just a few months after they came out. I lucked out and found them on eBay for around $125. I absolutely love them. Although, NOW I prefre my silver Sherwoods or copper Risers. These things ring like a bell when struck with a wand. I have really been thinking about having them chrome-plated because I like the silver look better than the gold. Anyone ever done this, Bill?
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 15:50, pepka wrote:

I got my Johnson's just a few months after they came out. I lucked out and found them on eBay for around $125. I absolutely love them. Although, NOW I prefre my silver Sherwoods or copper Risers. These things ring like a bell when struck with a wand. I have really been thinking about having them chrome-plated because I like the silver look better than the gold. Anyone ever done this, Bill?
I'm sure I saw a set of chrome plated Johnson Cups that sold on eBay many months ago. I don't recall the exact selling price, but it seemed to be reasonable, like under $300. So some do exist. I also saw a gold plated set sell there once. I'm not quite as sure, but I believe I saw a set of silver plated Johnson Cups once on eBay, too.

Greg
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Rmofsky, the next time that I see you, either at the IBM meeting next month or whenever you stop by my house I'll let you try out my Johnsons.
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
The Johnson cups are no longer in production?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I think that they are still in production.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I had a set of Johnson cups, then sold them when I upgraded to copper Gazzo cups. For me, once I had handled the copper Gazzo cups, I knew that they were the ones. I have not personally used the copper Sherwoods, but you hear many people speak of these with love. For me, one of the factors in shedding the Johnson cups was the brass. Brass tarnishes, copper gets a nice patina. Plus with the big Gazzo cups, you can load an orange, so they are very visible on the street.

You are going to live with these cups for a long time, so if you have the bucks to bump up to the Sherwoods, the Gazzo cups, or other cups that cost most than the Johnson cups, you ought to think hard about it. But the world is wide, and many people love the Johnson cups.

Yours,

Paul
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I tried the Gazzo cups but prefer the Johnsons, they are a better fit for me. Of course Gazzo told me the Johnsons were too small. Then again, I don't do the same kind of performing that he does.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnson Cups & Balls set (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL