The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » "Think a Drink" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-09-15 12:05, noriaki_kakyouin wrote:
I know this topic is old, but I was wondering if anyone who "is in the know" thinks that one effect is better than the other?

I am working on a Mad Hatter Tea Party show and have been pondering over "Hospitality" but was advised that "Think-a-drink" might work too. I know it is cheaper, to be sure, but I do not know if it is "better".

What do you think might be a stronger effect?

The strength of ANY effect depends ENTIRELY upon the performer and how he sells it.

Posted: May 30, 2011 7:59pm
BTW, the book Abbott's sells bears as much relation to the old Think-A-Drink act by Hoffmann as a bicycle does to a Rolls-Royce. It is NOT Hoffmann's act. It's Jeffrey Atkins' act. It won't hurt to have the information, but it won't help in reproducing the Hoffmann act, if that is your intent.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know who owns the original Burling Hull act complete. But as Bill has stated, it was a different time and a different era. Mystic Craig also did a great bar act as did Kalanag.

Jim Steinmeyer has made the most progress to update this act to today's audiences. There are so many taboos with drinking nowdays, I would not touch it as an act.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's definitely an act for a night club or a bar -- somewhere that people drink alcoholic beverages.

In Texas, during the 1960's, if you performed this in a regular bar, you could get the place closed down. Texas did not have liquor by the drink until the 1970's. Private clubs were another matter. If you were an employee of a regular bar and you gave a customer a mixed drink or anything other than wine or beer, you would be in violation of the law.

Competition amongst club owners was fierce. If you wanted your competitor's club shut down, you would call the Alcoholic Beverages Commission and tell them that you had seen them serving something they didn't have a license for. The TABC would go in, card everyone, check the bar, and if they saw a magician doling out drinks from onstage -- that was it!

First offense -- three days closure.
Second offense -- a week's closure
Third offense -- two weeks' closure.
Fourth offense -- license lifted permanently and NO ALCOHOL PERMIT OF ANY KIND COULD BE ISSUED AT THAT ADDRESS IN PERPETUITY.

There were people who were stupid enough to allow their clubs to reach the fourth offense level.

"I seen it wit' my own nekkid eyes!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Maybe I am off topic, but I recently purchase an effect that apparently predicts the drink in a soda can... what I didn't know is it requires to 'force' the drink with cards out of nowhere... I should have sticked to the classic..
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Anything you need a deck of cards to force can be forced some other way. Have you considered using a transparent forcing bag, a "change hat", a billet switch or something of that nature?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
[quote]On 2011-05-30 15:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:

Posted: May 30, 2011 7:59pm
BTW, the book Abbott's sells bears as much relation to the old Think-A-Drink act by Hoffmann as a bicycle does to a Rolls-Royce. It is NOT Hoffmann's act. It's Jeffrey Atkins' act. It won't hurt to have the information, but it won't help in reproducing the Hoffmann act, if that is your intent.

I'm just wondering what exactly the Atkins' act does involve? Am I correct to assume that he uses the teakettle to pour a few different alcoholic drinks in the "usual" way, and then, removes some silks from the kettle at the end? Anything that could enhance or improve the Wakeling act or Hospitality?

Bill, do you know if it's possible to get Ted Leslie's work on this, without springing for the lotta pitcher as well? And also, Bill, I have found a few threads where you allude to what a "pain in the wazoo" it was for Hull to get permission to do his own act -- but I can't find the story! What'd he have to do?

Finally, anyone who knows anything about this, essences, formulas, safety, novelty formulas etc, please PM me, as I'd love to hear it!

Many thanks.

Scotty
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't have time to do a search for this right now.

You can't get ANY of the Ted Lesley essences any more. If you find a set with the Lota, then get it.

There are places to get drink essences, but the ones that Burling Hull used came from Schenley's in Canada.

They were the best. But that was 90 years ago.

To find the thread with the Hoffmann/Hull controversy, do a search on Think a Drink Hoffmann in the forum section Magicians of Old. I think that's where I wrote it up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Thanks Bill! As far as I know, I've read every thread on the Café pertaining to the Hoffman/Hull controversy, but I never found any details other than "it was a lot of work" and "a pain in the wazoo." I don't know, I'm just curious about that story, I guess.

I will order the Lesley Lota act, but when the essences run out, will I still be able to do the act with today's available essences?

Is there anything in the Jeffrey Atkins' Act that would help? I'd get it, but the shipping to Italy would be about three times the cost of the manuscript!

As always, thanks for the help!

Scotty

Posted: Aug 21, 2011 5:38am
Update: I found, on Steve Cohen's site, a description of the legal battle between Hull/Hoffman. Maybe it was as simple as that. I thought maybe it was more colorful than an extended legal battle.

The actual court case can be seen here (link courtesy of Steve):

http://fl.findacase.com/research/wfrmDoc......L.htm/qx

I will PM you about the Lesley Pitcher.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's not the Hull/Hoffmann controversy. That is a completely different matter. Read the threads that are indicated in the topic. You have to read the whole topic.

Count Maurice was not Burling Hull.

I hate to "spoon feed" people, but since you apparently do not understand what I was referring to, I have done the search.

First, read this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=134

Read the first post I made in that thread

The Hull/Hoffmann controversy never made it to court.

Hoffmann took out a full page ad in either Billboard or Variety stating that he had copyrighted the "Think a Drink" act and that anyone who was performing an "any drink called for act" would be fined $20,000. In the first place, Hoffmann couldn't fine anyone. He was not a police officer or a judge. In the second place, he only "owned" the Think a Drink act.

So, Burling showed up to work at the Fontainbleu hotel, ready to do his act, and the management said that they wouldn't take the risk. So he called Hoffmann and told him that he needed a retraction letter. Hoffmann said it was just a bluff, and he should go ahead and perform, but he didn't send him a letter. The argument reached epic proportions, but Hull didn't get a letter.

So Hull had 20 copies of a letter printed up. It was addressed to Charles Hoffmann, stating that he needed a letter from him to allow him to perform HIS OWN ACT!!!!

He put these in separate envelopes, addressed to Charles Hoffmann, and gave one to each of the people who would see Hoffmann when he came to do his show, at, not coincidentally, the Fontainbleu. (This was a few weeks later, of course.) Each of these people was to take Hoffmann aside and give him the letter in secret.

So Hoffmann came into the hotel. On the way in, the doorman took him aside and gave him his letter. The desk clerk saw Hoffmann, took him aside and gave him the letter. The shoeshine man did the same thing. So did the elevator operator, the bartender, the bell captain, the maitre d', ALL of them. It took Hoffmann about 30 minutes to get to the club where he was performing. He finally sent Hull the letter.

So
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Scotty Walsh
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
207 Posts

Profile of Scotty Walsh
Thanks, Bill. I normally don't ask to be spoon fed, but I was stumped by this one. The story of the letters at the Fountainbleau was great. I knew it would be.

Sorry about my confusion regarding Hull and Maurice. I knew better than that. I'll chalk that up to researcher's fatigue.

I ordered a cheap copy of Burling Hull's autobiography this morning from Denny and Lee. Hopefully, that'll fill in the blanks. Many thanks for the stories.

Scotty
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Interesting to come across this, today I was reading some old Genii ads from 1952-53. This was a Merv Taylor exclusive and he was advertising the essences.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Merv was a latecomer to the any drink thought of act. This act, as presented by Hull and/or Hoffman was extremely significant during Prohibition -- 1919-1933. Many people refer to various tricks, props, etc., as "exclusives," when they are, in fact, nothing of the sort.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kellaroneil
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of kellaroneil
I perform this effect as a staple to my mind reading act and have used many methods over the years. I call my version The Mystic Teapot and Bar of Wonders. Spectators go crazy over it and it is a very elegant addition to the show. This performance, however, is not for everyone (which Bill Palmer mentioned in an earlier post). Lots of setup and skills with the performance. Many have been familiar with the essences and Hospitality - I have a much different method, which I look forward to releasing soon to the collector's market.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
726 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
If anyone knows where the "Jay Palmer Kettle" is these days? - Please PM me.

(Jay Palmer wrote a whole historical series on the "Kettle" for several Genii issues, in the 40's or 50's...and of course, Burling Hull had to stick his nose in, and take credit for being one of the first magis to perfrom the effect in the 1920's.)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Watching Steve Cohen perform this on his TV special just blew my mind.

I'm assuming (alright, "fishing") that his method must harkin back to some of the described methods on this thread.

But "fresh squeezed" orange juice?

A white russian - and a Mojito?

Wow.

I kept thinking that some confederate was assisting with an electronic remote to mix the essences.

Ok, I'm stumped. So good, so clean, pure magic!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I went to Steven Cohen's Chamber Magic show a few years ago and saw him do this. The audience was in awe.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 12:20, Zombie Magic wrote:
I went to Steven Cohen's Chamber Magic show a few years ago and saw him do this. The audience was in awe.

I'm envious!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Here's Hoffmann's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGBeX-BTD8
Paul Budd
View Profile
Veteran user
It's a shame he's only made
368 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
It probably isn't the SAME thing.........but I think Dell O'Dell did SOME version of Think A Drink.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Special user
St. George, Utah
504 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
The Will Alma magic collection of Victoria State Library in Australia has a free PDF copy of Will Andrade's "Magic Kettle Routine". 4 pages long, it is about the routine more than the secrets.

If interested, PM me with your eMail address and I'll send you a PDF copy.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » "Think a Drink" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL