The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is "your" advertising this positive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2438 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Okay, does your advertising make your show look as good as this trailer makes this movie look? Wanna see the "feelgood movie of the year?" I'm talking about THE SHINING. You know, that wacky family rattling around doing madcap antics in a closed hotel?

You have probably heard about this trailer before (I haven't searched the posts) but it's a "must see". News came to me via screenwriter Mark Evanier's NEWS FROM ME blog, expressed thus:

"Jack's Back! - I used to have a friend whose job was to lie for a big movie studio. Actually, there are a lot of people in that field but his fibbing was confined to producing movie trailers. When the studio found itself stuck with a movie it thought wouldn't draw an audience, my friend took over. He would design a marketing campaign that would make it look like a very different movie. He sometimes referred to himself as the Executive In Charge of Misleading Advertising. I thought of him when someone sent me a link to this video. It's...well, you'll figure out what it is. Go take a look."

See http://www.ps260.com/molly/SHINING%20FINAL.mov
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6351 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
That was wonderful!!! Forget about advertising... think about how you can put any spin on any effect that's out there. Turn what normally would be considered a boring effect into a FISM winner!
Put some thought, some creativity, some originality into both your thinking and magic.

I had not seen or heard of the clip before... thank you for putting it up here. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Fantastic!

Of course, they tried to do this with the film The Mexican, creating the impression it was a Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts 'love story' when in actual fact its a thriller in which they only share about 15 minutes of screen time and they fight for 12 of those minutes!

The movie (which was quite good) tanked when word spread.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I've seen this trailer. It's beautiful. Using "solsbury hill" was a master stroke. When that kicked it, I lost it. Excellent, excellent work.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is "your" advertising this positive? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL