The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How do you keep the secrets of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MagicDan21
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of MagicDan21
Quote:
On 2005-10-02 07:53, MikeRaffone wrote:
Here's the challenge. How would you respond if this was your boss at work or a potential client, someone you want to keep in your favor?

Tell him a B.S alternative method..durr
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
778 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Get a feel on how genuine their request is.
Are they just curious or are they REALLY interested in learning magic for the greater good.
Think how you would have liked someone to answer your question when you first started out.
Let your intuition guide you.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
If someone is geniunely interested a great one would be to show them how to do coin in egg by secretly droppng the coin into the glass. Then BLOW them away with HATCHING n tell them if they work hard they will be able to do it that well.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
If someone is geniunely interested a great one would be to show them how to do coin in egg by secretly droppng the coin into the glass. Then BLOW them away with HATCHING n tell them if they work hard they will be able to do it that well.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Tell them to look up the Fizbin Drop. If that doesn't discourage them, what will Smile?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2005-10-01 23:34, sunnydolan wrote:
Its easy. Point them towards your favorite magic website, and tell them to buy some cheap close up trick like a folding half dollar, or a bite-out coin. Those usually discourage laymen after they see how much practice they will need to put in to the handeling, being new to coin sleights. That should keep them off.

I know this post is old, but it caught my eye and I had to respond. This is, in my opinion, a terrible idea. Pointing them to tricks that reveal the workings simply by the title or description will reveal secrets, not keep them! Both the folding half dollar and bite-out coin advertise a "special" coin; this would not help keep anything secret.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
In the Magic shop I work in, we have a child who comes in every week. He is about 13 years old, and he says to us he isn't a magician, he doesn't want to be a magician, but he hates being fooled. So he buys the tricks just to find out for himself how they are done. Best thing to do is to encourage them either to practice it and keep the secret they have paid for, or just enjoy the feeling of confusement
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
"Do I come to McDonalds and ask you how you make fries"?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking

........most effective when asked in front of other folks. Must be asked with a smile on your face and a lightness to your tone.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 22:55, silverking wrote:

........most effective when asked in front of other folks. Must be asked with a smile on your face and a lightness to your tone.

I don't know how that wouldn't be insulting.
The reality is that in today's world everything has a price. Long gone are the days of magicians' secrets being passed on from generation to generation, magician to budding magician. We live in a world of online magic resellers that are out to make a quick buck and to the detriment of magic and its secret society.
I've learned to focus more if my energy on my performance than anything else -- as long as my audience is enjoying the show, that's all I care about.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm not saying turn yourself into Michael Richards, but once an audience member crosses the line by insisting you tell him how a trick is done, they're fair game.

The point is to quiet them down and not alienate the rest of the crowd.

I think how a magician chooses to actually accomplish that doesn't follow the same rules as those which state you never insult an audience member while doing your routine...........you're not doing YOUR routine, you're trying to stop the questioner from doing THEIRS!

BTW, the McDonalds line is one of many that on the surface may appear to cross the line, but in reality play quite well.
The goal is to get them to either quit asking, or to go away.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is anyone old enough to remember when secrets were, well SECRET?

NOT everything has a price, more like MOST PEOPLE have a price.

It is secret. DON'T TELL IT. By definition isn't that what a secret is?

We should have a new name for them. TRICKS really seems to be appropriate of late.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I think the 'creed' of never telling has a few exceptions, as do most things. For example, a few months back I did a birthday party and this kid came up to me after and asked if I could teach him a trick. I could just sort of tell this was a boy who probably didn't have too much going for him at home, and I thought how wonderful it might be to spark his interest in magic. Give him a hobby maybe. Soooo, I taught him a simple coin vanish and a routine to practice. He was amazed, and the smile on his face was priceless. Did I break the magician's creed? Technically, yes. Did I enlighten someone as to the wonderful world of magic? I sure hope so. What I did was give him a taste...nothing more and nothing less, and I have no regrets. Consider it a 'free sample' maybe Smile
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Mention you could provide lessons...

Or refer him/her to sources...

Or break the 'code' 'a little' like above and teach a VERY simple thing.

My approach is, if they are asking out of curiosity, just keep PERFORMING. They seem to enjoy and appreciate magic, so will keep watching. Explain nothing, say 'yes ok, here...' and simply do another effect. By the end of the effect they either have forgotten that they asked or get the message that you won't reveal without you having to spell it out, and whilst they watch more magic. Works for me.

Cheers

Chris
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh and could someone show me this "code"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
If asked this, I tell the truth.

I tell them I promised to keep magic secrets and I don't break promises.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
fabian
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of fabian
It's a necessity to keep secrets. I come from the pro wrestling world, and our secrets have been exposed, which actually caused a lack of interest. If someone is interested in learning the secrets of wrestling, we usually initiate them in physically with something that hurts to show them that wrestling is not fake. I like the idea of testing their interest, and seeing what they do with it.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Well it usually depends on the situation. Sometimes I just say some phrases I learned in some David Blaine’s show "For those who believe no explanation is necessary, for those who don't no explanation will be enough". Maybe I make a joke about "Can you keep a secret???? Me too!” Sometimes I take the approach of telling people that I just don't reveal secrets because I would break up the illusion and in some cases I will pretend to teach an effect but instead I make a kicker end.

For example here's my post on some situation when I was performing Dr Daley's Last trick and some person asked me to teach him some magic trick.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4836138

Best regards
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I have two things I do. I'll either

A) Do the sucker torn and restored napkin trick (as it begins under the pretense that you're teaching them how to do the trick), or

B) I'll genuinely teach them a simple card trick - the reversed card in deck trick. I never feel bad about revealing this secret as it was the first trick I learned as a young boy and you can get it off the back of cereal boxes. I tell them "I have one trick that I don't mind sharing the secret, because it was the first trick that was taught to me.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I'm sorry, I promised not to tell.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How do you keep the secrets of magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL