The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The ages of a magician's life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
- At five you believe that Harry Potter is for real. You want to go to Hogwarts.

- At fifteen you watch David Blaine on TV and believe it's for real. You want to be a street magician.

- At twentyfive you watch Derren Brown on TV and believe it's a documentary. You want to be a mentalist.

. . .

(Of course, I'm talking about intellectual age.)

I'm sure middle aged magicians are able to deceive themselves as well. But alas, I'm too young. Perhaps someone older and wiser can help finish the list?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
-At fifty five, you wish there really was a Hogwarts, so you could go there and teach the younger magicians what magic is really about.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
At 15 I attended a Hogwarts of a sort. I watched and learned from the masters and the old books. As I set my performer's pride aside and opened myself to the ideas of my betters and the primal source that rains magic into a mundane world, I started to imagine and create new works in magic.

At 25 some of my works were in the tomes in magicdom and my education about how to offer magic to others was in full swing. The pretty pebbles in the books became less attractive as I learned to attend the interests of my audiences.

At 35 I learned that the great works in magic are designed to be interpreted by each performer and in each performing venue and for each audience. I learned to listen to my audiences to hear the themes and stories they hold dear in their lives.

At 45 I decided that the next generation might be better off if we built a Hogwarts.

Those who wish to become magicians in this culture of commerce-not-magic are welcome to join. To start, all you have to do is decide that magic is more important than ego issues. Then perhaps you can learn to treat secrets as the gold currency of our craft, and we can go from there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I'm in. Count me in.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
At 25 I attended Hogwarts. It was in the lecture hall at Magic, Inc. Dumbledore was really a man named Dai Vernon and the lecture supposedly paid him $1,000, a sum unheard of in those days. I paid $10 to get in. In today's dollars, that's about $85.

It was worth every penny.

I just wish I had been able to attend the full curriculum, instead of the lecture circuit. One of my life's true regrets. But the wand still spins, the cups still clatter and the coins still melt through the table and someday... maybe ... someday ... they will do so as magically as they did for Dumbledore Dai Vernon - The Professor and Headmaster of that Hogwarts so long ago.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Any sounds of a crying pheonix at the Magic Castle?
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 16:07, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Any sounds of a crying pheonix at the Magic Castle?

This is second-hand information, and should be treated as such. But, I've been told by a couple of members who shall remain nameless to hold off on joining for a while, but that things will clear up soon enough.

Still time for the old bird to rise from the ashes, I suppose.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Short History of a Famous Box Jumper

At 10 days, parents bring you out on stage at the Abbotts Magic Get-Together and you recieve a Standing Ovation...

2 weeks later Frances Marshall proclaims "I hope it's not the last standing ovation she gets!" in TOPS magazine

3 years old, put into the show (so you won't get in trouble), being names the youngest box jumper in the world.

4 years old, goes on tour with the World's Greatest Magicians in S. America

5 years old, dad builds the world's smallest zig zag.

7 years old, finds out the temple is too small.

9 years old, finally realizes why she never was able to be seen on BOZO circus or ever gets on as a contestent on the Grand Prize Game...yet can get tickets whenever she wanted. (Her father was the very first Magician on the Show).

10 years old, performs the worlds only self-revolving levitation invented by her father, at the IBM convention in Kansas City.

14 years old, really realizes who her parents really are to the magic community and beyond.

20 years old, retires from Magic and pursues a careers as a full-time pianist,composer & performer.

22 years old, Dad has massive stroke and becomes his caregiver with the help of her mom.

30 years old, realizes she gets on most magicians nerves.
Has an acomplishing carrer as a musician (always reaching new levels.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
stine
View Profile
Regular user
TN
152 Posts

Profile of stine
What a wonderful life history you get to keep.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Cable TV opened Minneapolis up to the Bozo show, and what a wonderful show it was. Years earlier we did have our own Bozo show (as they were franchised at various local stations) the show was nothing and the guy did nothing but sit on a trapeze and tell stupid jokes between cartoons - nothing like the Chicago Bozo, which I consider as much the real thing as Sean Connery is the real James Bond. Smile

Frances, Why do magicians find you nerve wracking? I think you'd be a delight to know. You have a background in magic but enough other interests not to make it boring! Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of glatner
About a Hogwarts:

I think I heard about a Highschool in B.C. canada for magicians/

Of course, there is the Chavez College.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
At over 60 you just want someone to talk to.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

At 15 you want doves
at 30 you have doves
at 35 you are way too many doves and buy a parrot
at 70 your parrot is telling your secrets
at 85 your parrot is dictating your autobiography
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The ages of a magician's life (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL