The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Pablo Picasso on magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think we can learn from great artists from any art, and so to this end, I have a few quotes below from Picasso, but I replaced the words “Art” and “Artist” with “Magic” and “Magician” just for a bit of fun and to see if I could learn about the art in magic.

I have used Picasso simply because I like him but feel free to try doing this with your favourite quotes from other artists, any artist, it does not have to be a painter, just to see if anything comes up that might help us think about the art in magic.

Picasso:

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not.

Successful magicians aren't born that way. They become successful by establishing the habit of doing things unsuccessful magicians don't like to do. The successful magicians don't always like these things themselves; they just get on and do them.

The purpose of Magic is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.

Bad Magicians copy. Good Magicians steal.

Everyone wants to understand magic. Why is there no attempt to understand the song of the birds?

God is really only another magician. He invented the giraffe, the elephant, and the cat. He has no real style. He just keeps on trying other things.

There are magicians who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their magic and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun.

Every child is an magician. The problem is how to remain one once he grows up.

The magician is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web.

I who have been involved with all styles of magic can assure you that the only things that fluctuate are the waves of fashion which carry the snobs and speculators; the number of true connoisseurs remains more or less the same.

Painting is the best comment that a painter can make on magic.

Magic is stronger than I am. It can make me do whatever it wants.

Magic is just another way of keeping a diary.

Magic is a blind man's profession. He performs not what he sees, but what he feels, what he tells himself about what he has seen.

From the moment that magic ceases to be food that feeds the best minds, the magician can use his talents to perform all the tricks of the intellectual charlatan. Most people can today no longer expect to receive consolation and exaltation from magic. "The 'refined,' the rich, the professional 'do-nothings', the distillers of quintessence desire only the peculiar, the sensational, the eccentric, the scandalous in today's magic. I myself, since the advent of Cubism, have fed these fellows what they wanted and satisfied these critics with all the ridiculous ideas that have passed through my mind. "The less they understood them, the more they admired me. Through amusing myself with all these absurd farces, I became celebrated, and very rapidly. For a magician, celebrity means sales and consequent affluence. Today, as you know, I am celebrated, I am rich. "But when I am alone, I do not have the effrontery to consider myself an magician at all, not in the grand old meaning of the word: Giotto, Titian, Rembrandt, Goya were great magicians. I am only a public clown--a mountebank. "I have understood my time and have exploited the imbecility, the vanity, the greed of my contemporaries. It is a bitter confession, this confession of mine, more painful than it may seem. But at least and at last it does have the merit of being honest.

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Agreed that magic is an art.

It does have one additional component, that of being a meta-experience which gives it additional potency and also limitations.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I'm just trying to figure out how to get my spongeball routine to fit into my cubist period. Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

I think magicians do go through periods of styles in magic much like painters but I am not sure if we have any names to identify them. I think it is time to have a renaissance and return to the golden age of classical magic. Doves and Rabbits, top hats and tails etc I love old magicians they had class.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 12:53, Frank Tougas wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how to get my spongeball routine to fit into my cubist period. Smile

Frank Tougas

It'll never happen, Frank, because you are not a blockhead!

I just could NOT resist making that pointilist statement! Or was that 'pointless?'

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Pablo Picasso on magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL