The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jon Allen's "Silent Treatment" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Holy crap this is clever! I just received mine in the mail (ordered it directly from Jon) What a great way to do card in the mouth. The longer the performer is silent, the better the ending builds... It's about time someone puts an original twist on this trick.

Well built prop too. Easy to use instructional dvd...

And, I think the stage version is coming out soon... That's gonna be a popular item.
Amazing Samdini
View Profile
New user
Calabasas, CA
66 Posts

Profile of Amazing Samdini
I agree, Eric. I wish I'd thought of it. I performed in front of my IBM ring and got a great reaction.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I watched the performance on vid and just wasn't impressed. Is it something that has to be experienced live?
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Perfect Opener
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17163 Posts

Profile of joseph
A must have....especially if you have the jitters in the opening effect of your show...You don't have to say anything, and it helps you to settle down before your next effect....great item, get it....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
I have to agree on this.....
This trick is amazingly great......
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Can someone please describe this routine/effect in detail?

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
One thing to remember guys, practice, practice and practice this. At the last Plymouth Magic Circle meeting, my best friend decided to perform this, even though he knew I wanted it for the close up act. He bought it when he saw the reactions I got. I told him to practice and not mess up if he was going to show everyone before me, and what did he do, he got the wrong card. So always make sure you get the right card, if not, try and have an out. Other than that, it is an exceptional piece of thinking, and all credit to Jon for making this available to all of us, it fools laymen and magicians when performed right. Also, 1 last point, remember to watch Jons facial expressions when he performs it, and mimic them , his face for each board is perfect
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
You can use this link and click on demo video button

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3153
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks so much for the great video link.

I perform a silent magic-comedy show and am seriously considering the possibility (and practicality) of integrating this effect into my show.

The challenge will be that often (but not always)my audience is made up of both French and English-speaking members. A bilingual set of cards would make this presentation too long. Most likely, I would have two separate sets of cards, and use the set that reflects the overall make-up of my audience on each particular night.

Prior to making this purchase, and in order to know if it fits my act, I would need to know...

If in order to perform this effect, does the magician absolutely need to utilize a "stooge/shill" in the audience, a shill that has been secretly prompted, pre-show, to call out the card you wish to "force" (ie. in this case, the Kind of Spades).

I could well be wrong. But I would appreciate an indication as to whether my "guess" on the method is correct.

If it is correct, the effect (sadly) will not work for me since I do not speak to the audience members pre-show time. Remember, my character is completely "silent" all the time (100 percent).

At this point, all insight(s), suggestions and advise would be would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1165 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Jonathan,

No stooge or shill required, no secret prompts, no pre-show, no dual-reality. It is the same miraculous effect for the person selecting the card as it is for the audience. It is brilliant.

Brian
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the verification Brian. Very helpful.

Jonathan
Jonathan
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Definitely perfect for opener in Stage Magic!
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
It's not the perfect opener. If you have any kids or drunks in your audience, you don't want them reading for the first trick.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Have to agree with "asper". I was really excited about this trick. I think it is clever, but...

If people are drinking or have bad eyesight then this trick can be difficult. I had someone pull out their glasses! That really broke the momentum of the trick and it didn't play nearly as well as I thought it would.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Yes, a stage version would be great. But jumbo card from the mouth????!!!!

BOB
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1721 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I am still working on the stage version and while it may not be the perfect opener for everyone, it will solve some of your problems.

There will be a choice of any of the 52 cards. This means the audience only need to be able to read the boards. These boards will be a lot bigger than the curent ones so it will play in large theatres.

Just a tip for people about choosing somene to read something. If you are dealing with an audience "of a certain age" it is helpful to choose someone who is already wearing glasses. There is always an awkward moment wwhen someone has to fumble around to find their glasses so if they are already on their face... problem solved!

I can assure you that you do not have to be The Mask for the stage version! You can still use normal cards. Small objects on stage are fine. It's the same as when you vanish and find a borrwed finger ring. The people in the cheap seats can't see a thing but the reaction of those up front and the opwner tell them it's the right one. Same with playing cards.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I cannot recommend Jon Allen's Silent Treatment...... HIGHLY ENOUGH!! The effect is absolutely tremendous. I ordered this immediately when it was released and have had nothing but success with it.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I'd buy a stage version. How much set up is there? How long to reset?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Magic2253711
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
82 Posts

Profile of Magic2253711
Can you say that our hand never touch your mouth without giving it away?
"Sometimes what people think is real, is just an illusion, but sometimes what people think is an illusion, is real."
-Criss Angel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jon Allen's "Silent Treatment" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL