The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Illusion?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
What is the best illusion you have seen?
Thank you,
Grand Illusions
:sawingchick: Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Light Bulb Cabinet is classic.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Could you explain the Light Bulb Cabinet?
Thank you
Grand Illusions
PS it sounds cool!!!
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Tim Kole performing his father’s invention in which Jenny passes through a plate of diamond slab steel (not sure if it goes by the name "Thru Steel").
Sent from my Typewriter
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
The best Illusion is the one you can create a connection to your audience with. It is the one that suites you the most. Whether this be making a coin vanish, or sticking an industrial drill through your stomach. In magic there are many imitations of other magicians and not many real originals...
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

I guess the best way to describe the LBC is where the woman goes into a cabinet like thing, with 4 walls. 24 light bulbs go thru the person. There are shade like things that close up on the side, but you see the actual light bulbs piercing the person. I'm not very good at describing illusions, but this is one that Blackstone, Sr. used in his show.
Here's a small gif annimation I did a while back of it. I think you'll will get a better idea of what I'm talking about by watching it. . .

http://home.earthlink.net/~ling40/files/lp-lbc.gif

www.mai-ling.net
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Copperfield's "One" and Blaine standing on a pole for almost three days (how do you not sleep?)....
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

David Blaine standing on a pole for 3 days does not constitute an illusion. Bah he such a sensationalistic and egotistical person. I don't have much respect for him. And David Copperfield hasn't done anything spectacular since the early '80's. I find them both very boring.

www.mai-ling.net
Gemcooper
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Gemcooper
The best, in my mind, is the Metemorphisis Illusion performed by The Pendragons. You can't touch them.
-Cooper-
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Howdy:

I always rate magic material, especially stage illusions, from the point of view of how easy is it to transport, set up, perform and tear down, and, can it be done surrounded. These are personal criteria as I never wanted or expected to become Copperfield, etc.

It is the criteria I generally suggest to those just starting out who want to grow into the Copperfield size show. For that reason I suggest: The Broom Suspension, Sub-Trunk and Zig Zag Lady. The Sword Basket done well is another really terrific trick that is portable, etc.

Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Hands down the best illusion that ever there was was the Blue Room. Seeing someone slowly fade into existance is live real time special effects.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Vaclav
View Profile
New user
Now Seattle. Before? Who knows.
68 Posts

Profile of Vaclav
Payne, you are absolutely correct.
Also Copperfield Flying is should qualify.
Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think that defing the "best" is difficult without outlining conditions.

As far as stage, I always thought that Copperfield's version of "Disembodied" (the one that combined it with the Shadow Box) was outstanding. His "Buzz Saw" looked great in concert, too.

For Grand TV illusions, I still go all the way back to the Statue of Liberty .. . that set the tone for 20 years of TV magic.

For us ordinary work-a-day magicians, Origami is hard to beat.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

www.mai-ling.net
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
Copperfield's Cacoon. I saw that live in Des Moines and went absolutely bonkers. Haven't seen the Pendragon's metamorphasis, so I don't know which is better. I can watch Cacoon over and over again on the DVD and never get tired of it.

"Cacoon" gets my vote for best I've seen.

Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile It's such a sad thing... so much to learn and all magic-nuts can talk about is "their opinion" as to which effect is "best".

I think "the best" illusion (potentially speaking of course) is the one YOU as a performer, master. e.g. the one effect that YOU are able to pull the most out of in regards to audience reaction and empathy.

Hey... what do I know? Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5357 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Carumba! You beat me to it Darmoe! You have expressed my sentiments exactly.

I was going to say that the best illusion is my Sword Basket as it is the only “illusion” that I am presently performing.

By the way, I look forward to your grand illusion posts. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience (and I drool over your illusion collection!).

Thanks!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 15:21, Harry Murphy wrote:
Carumba! You beat me to it Darmoe! You have expressed my sentiments exactly.

I was going to say that the best illusion is my Sword Basket as it is the only “illusion” that I am presently performing.

By the way, I look forward to your grand illusion posts. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience (and I drool over your illusion collection!).

Thanks!

It's not much of a "collection" these days... most of what belonged to Chuck was sold off long ago and I've more or less done away with anything that don't fit in a brief case (well, almost... Smile ) Doing a very unique style of Mentalism these days... let's face it, the chief side-effect of doing big illusions for 30 some odd years, is a bad back, knees, and other key body parts... Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 13:52, Darmoe wrote:
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile It's such a sad thing... so much to learn and all magic-nuts can talk about is "their opinion" as to which effect is "best".

I think "the best" illusion (potentially speaking of course) is the one YOU as a performer, master. e.g. the one effect that YOU are able to pull the most out of in regards to audience reaction and empathy.

Hey... what do I know? Smile

The question was "what's the best illusion you've ever seen?" not "what's the best illusion?"

The best illusion I've ever seen is the "Blue Room" this doesn't make it the best illusion of all time, if such a thing exists, it's just the best illusion I have witnessed.

But I agree with you Darmoe there is far too much "What's the Best (insert type of effect here" or Who's the Best (insert name of performer here) posting on this board.

What is a stunning illusion in one performers hand can be pure rubbish in another’s and generally comparing one performer to another is a case of apples to oranges. As in Art there is no good or bad, best or worst, only what you personally like and what you don't.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Payne.. you're right on! Smile

Unfortunately I love just about all of it (when it's done right) for different reasons. The Sawing has always been one of my favorites. I've worked the original Thurston cabinet with Kirkham long ago and love it for certain key reasons, over the Thin Model and vice versa... they're both awesome pieces of business but I would never be able to make a choice as to which was the "better"... it's a matter of perspective, application, etc.

I will say that the Blue Room and it's numerous variants tends to be dollar per dollar, the best money making mystery of them all! Especially if you have a GOOD Gorilla costume.
;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best Illusion?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL