The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Great 3 shell and pea moves and routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I recently got back in touch with a magician friend of mine named Jason who I haven't talked to in quite a while. We use to get together and brainstorm magic quite often. WE where great at that because we have very different performing styles so we where always able to look at an idea from different angles.

Anyway, back to the reason I'm posting this. He showed me some very cool routines and moves for the three shell and pea game. I haven't played around my shells in quite some time but after seeing the stuff he's come up with I have a desire to pull them out again. He's come up with some great moves.

I told him that I'm sure other magicians would love to see some of this stuff. He told me he has though about it and has already done a little righting on it. So I'm going to work with him in making it available. We just took some of the diagram images today. We've also talked about putting some of it on video so we'll work on that too.

I know I'm raving here but it's been a long time since I've been blown away by just sleights in a three shell and pea game. I'll let everyone know when we're a little closer to making it available and maybe get a couple demo videos on line. I just thought I'd mention this project in this section of the Café because there seems to be quite a few magicians here who are into this type of magic.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Have you seen the "maneuvers" on Whit and Bob's DVD? They are really neat.

They are not written up anywhere that I know of, except in the S4S literature.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
That sounds really great, Ron. Can't wait to see the vids.
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
Jaxon- What? You saw something cool? Will there be sharing? Glad to hear that something is churning. Don't leave us out in the cold too long. Bob.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea. I personally don't perform the 3 shell game but I've always liked to see it done well. So I really enjoyed seeing some of his moves and routines.

I'm working on it with him now. Making the diagrams and such. AS son as it's done I'll get it to some trustworthy magician friends and ask their opinion before releasing it. I know this material is very good but if the instructions aren't understandable then that wouldn't matter.

I'll keep you all informed of it's progress.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
Sound like it will be great I cant wait either to see the videos.

Harv
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Can't wait to see it Ron. Great seeing you at Abbotts again man!
Bryan
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Ron,

Sounds very interesting. Some new twists are always fun.

Tom
François
View Profile
New user
France
62 Posts

Profile of François
Hello everyone, I'm new here, so I wish that what I'm going to post is at the right place, and can be helpfull.
If you are looking for some written informations, Jaxon, about shell game, have you ever heard about this little book really interesting from Ralph Read: "The three shell game"? This is an old publication from 1938 and it's very interesting, there are many moves wich are describe (the sucker move is a great one!!!)and many routines in this little book. If any body interest let me know.
And as every one here I can't wait seeing this video!!!!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks François.

I'll point that out to Jason. Like I said. I don't perform the 3 shell game but he does so I'm sure he'd like that book.

I tell you though. Making the diagrams for something like this is a lot different then the instructions I've worked on in the past. Got to have a lot of images to describe these great moves with enough detail to make it understandable. Most moves only take a second to execute but a lot happens in that second.

Ron Jaxon

François
View Profile
New user
France
62 Posts

Profile of François
Yes Jason, you are right, most of the moves are really fast and must be very fluid,to look like normal moves, even when you load or steal!!! And that's the hard part of the all thing. You need days and days of practice to be natural.
But it's really a great trick when you manage it good!!! Just look Whit...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I agree with bill palmer. the SFS DVD has several fluid movements and techniques worthy of your study.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I just bought a set of vernet shells just to get started
however, the shells are rough on the bottom making it hard to move on a close-up pad
is there a way I can smooth it down?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Emery board perhaps? you could also consider going over the edges with clear nail polish afterwards. I have not done that but as cheap as the vernet shells are, it might be worth trying.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Just hit the bottom of the Vernet shells with some fine grit emery paper. That should smooth them out fine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm still on the road and don't have a lot of time to answer questions, but here goes!

The Ralph Read book was probably written by Tom Osborne. It's one of the basic pieces of Shell Game literature. The Chanin book, which precedes it by four years, is another. Every shell worker should have both of these.

However, the video has a big advantage. You can actually SEE the moves as they are done. In the shell game, as in any display of sleight of hand, speed is not as important as consistency in rhythm. If you rush through a section or hesitate before a move, that's as bad a "tell" as anything else.

Most of us on this forum are not out to scam anyone with the shells. We are entertaining them with them, so deliberate moves will be more effective for us.

The shells have this in common with the Cups and Balls. You should know everything you can learn, but only use what is necessary to entertain your audience. Whit's on-line video is a good example of this. So is Bob Sheets' routine.

Regarding smoothing the Vernet shells (or any otheres), get a piece of flat steel, marble, glass or plywood -- something that is thick enough that it won't bend. Tape a piece of fine grit emery cloth or automotive finishing sandpaper -- the finest you can find -- to this surface. Then rub the shell back and forth and side to side on this surface just enouogh to get rid of those burrs.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It's ready!!!

We finally got all the images done and the instructions put together. We decided to make it available as an E-book.

The E-book goes over some basics first. Then goes into some more advanced moves. Some of them blew me away when I first saw him do it. He also included a few really neat finale's to the 3 shell game. There are a couple of bonus effects.

It's called The Hanxamean approach to the 3 shell game

Jason is working on his website so I put it on my site for now until he get's his ready.

Go to my site (link in my signature below) to check it out.

Ron Jaxon

Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
This sounds great, Jaxon!

I can't wait to see it...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Jaxon
I think it is exhalent, very easy to follow.
Mario
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Hey Whit and Bob, you guys taken a gander at this yet?

Are there some groundbreaking new moves here?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Great 3 shell and pea moves and routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL