The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What is ur plan on this year HALLOWEEN?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Fellows, Halloween is near, what is your plan for this year....??
Tell us...!!!
I will do PSYCHIC SURGERY!!!! This is my first time I do it live. I use stoo@@s to dramatice the effect and the fake doctor to make testimony. BTW, is that fair??? ;o)
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
I hate haloween. Haloween cheapens magic. It turns what we do into plastic skulls and glow in the dark plastic cauldrons. I say this every year at this time. I now avoid coprorate gigs for Haloween. I got fed up of performing among fake spiders and waitresses with plastic witches hats.

Corporate entertainment agencies have NO imagination.

Rant over.

Anyway best of luck for whatever YOU are planning to do.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Strolling 1-3 PM.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I have parties to go all weekend long. I'll probably perform psychic-type stuff casually here and there as I usually do, other than that, I plan to have tons of fun!

Anabelle
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I will be a magician and do magic to people. What else! Smile
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 09:55, themagicman101 wrote:
do magic to people

Hey Magicman,

I know this is semantics but still. . . why don't you try doing magic FOR people. I always hate it when people do things TO me. No offense intended.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 08:57, Black Hart wrote:
I hate haloween. Haloween cheapens magic.

It turns what we do into plastic skulls and glow in the dark plastic cauldrons. I say this every year at this time. I now avoid coprorate gigs for Haloween. I got fed up of performing among fake spiders and waitresses with plastic witches hats.
Rant over.
Keith Hart

My eyes !! My ears !! Blasphemer !!! Smile
Blaemth not the holiday, but rather the way in which some people celebrate it.

While I can see the point about it cheapening the atmosphere, (cardboard skeletons are not scary !) at least it's a time where people generally agree it's "okay" to dress up, wear masks, and think about spooky, scary things, in short, let some of the usual restrictions relax - the rest of the year, it's all the usual humdrum and anyone who even mentions ghosts is looked at sideways. Or so it seems around here. I'm just glad for a few weeks of fun.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
I am managing a haunt, so I don't get to perform as much as I'd like
this year. Still, every scream lightens my heart. I am doing some
walk around in the lobby when I have a chance.

Keep 'em screaming,

Dave
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
I just heard the wierdist thing ever today. Ive never heard it before. I asked a young kid what he was doing for haloween. He said "Im not allowed to celebrate, Haloween is the devils birthday. ITs an EVIL celibration"... My family comes from Ireland, Where haloween originated. It was actually just a... What else. Party (i am from ireland you know...)
People would dress up and have bonfires etc. Of course all the kids of ireland wanted to have a good time. So they played prakns on freinds etc. It matured and people gave out food to the kids and evenutally became a holiday sort of based around them. Devils birthday! MALARKY!!! MALARKEY I SAY!!!
In any case I thought this was odd so I'm just letting you know. Also I don't know if I will be doing magic or anything. Maybe some PK stuff. That would be cool...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Halloween (Hallowe'en), the eve of All Hallows Day, developed out of the earlier, pre-Christian Samhain. Some Christian groups associate Halloween with Satanism and evil. In truth, the holiday (holy day!) has nothing to do with the Devil or Satan, although some Satanist groups now claim the day for themselves, and the day was and is a day of religious celebration for several groups.

Samhain (sow-'n) is called in Ireland,if I am not mistaken, "Oiche Shamhna," and in Scotland, "Samhuinn."
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 14:56, enigmaticmagic wrote:
I just heard the wierdist thing ever today. Ive never heard it before. I asked a young kid what he was doing for haloween. He said "Im not allowed to celebrate, Haloween is the devils birthday. ITs an EVIL celibration"... My family comes from Ireland, Where haloween originated. It was actually just a... What else. Party (i am from ireland you know...)
People would dress up and have bonfires etc. Of course all the kids of ireland wanted to have a good time. So they played prakns on freinds etc. It matured and people gave out food to the kids and evenutally became a holiday sort of based around them. Devils birthday! MALARKY!!! MALARKEY I SAY!!!
In any case I thought this was odd so I'm just letting you know. Also I don't know if I will be doing magic or anything. Maybe some PK stuff. That would be cool...

I wish Osiris were still around to hear of this, he'd be more outraged than I.
Yes, most unfortunately, that is what some ultra-conserative christian groups are doing nowadays, basically they're trying to return to the "good ol' days" of the Spanish Inquisition, and ban everything fun as evil, satanic, and blasphemus.
Just as the Catholic church did hundreds and hundreds of years ago, they take any non judeo-christian based ritual or religious ceremony (read: pagan) and taint it with claims of Satanic connections - to them, anything that was worshipped or even just celebrated that was not "God" directly, must have been the devil posing to corrupt the souls of those involved. That's how the Devil, for example, came to have horns, a forked tail, and cloven hooves, because he became combined from many various Pagan deities, such as Pan, Beelzebub, and probably more Celtic deities than I can name.
So suddenly, Beelzebub, as one example, a Pagan deitiy long before the Christian movement came up to the Celts, was suddenly declared as an alias or servant of Satan, as did so many others.
Ever wonder why the Devil has so many names ? That's why !! Every other "God" encountered just became another synonym for ol' Scratch ! They just kept rounding them up, if they didn't "become" the devil, then they became a lower rank: demon.
Here's the short list:
Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Baal, the Devil, Mephistopheles, Asmodeus, Ol' Scratch, El Diablo, Prince of Darkness, The Tempter, The Beast, Ol' Nick, .. etc..

The best part is, the name Lucifer came about because of a bad translation to Latin!
Check this out:
http://www.teachersparadise.com/ency/en/......vil.html

The good news is, those groups are failing in their mission; they're onslaught of the holiday pales in comparison to the popularity it sees today - I don't think Halloween's ever been bigger. Every year, the stores get more and more props in, even some of the the things I'm surprised to see, like really gory, bloody skulls in a dept store where kids are bound to be.
I see more and more homes decorated more lavishly every year too, and the number of websites seems to grow in leaps and bounds.
Despite this, I don't see anyone actively worshipping the devil or condoning hacking people to pieces; it's simply an acknowledgement of our dark sides, a tribute to those passed on and to history, to the unknown, and a flirting with our own fears, limitations and weaknesses. Not at all unhealthy.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 21:30, Mystician wrote:

The good news is, those groups are failing in their mission; they're onslaught of the holiday pales in comparison to the popularity it sees today - I don't think Halloween's ever been bigger. Every year, the stores get more and more props in, even some of the the things I'm surprised to see, like really gory, bloody skulls in a dept store where kids are bound to be.
I see more and more homes decorated more lavishly every year too, and the number of websites seems to grow in leaps and bounds.
Despite this, I don't see anyone actively worshipping the devil or condoning hacking people to pieces; it's simply an acknowledgement of our dark sides, a tribute to those passed on and to history, to the unknown, and a flirting with our own fears, limitations and weaknesses. Not at all unhealthy.

Quite so, and Halloween is my favorite holiday!

As late as the seventeenth century people living on the island of Lewis in Scotland carried out a Halloween rite every year. The ritual began and ended in the local church. A church service (ostensibly Christian) was held while one of the members waded out into the sea, offered a cup of ale, and chanted to a sea-god, Shony. "O God of the Sea, Put weed in the drawing wave (referring to seaweed, used to fertilize the fields), To enrich the ground, To shower us with food." After a night of revelry, everyone would go to the shore and invoke the god Briannuil, asking for a strong wind to blow the seaweed ashore.

This is but one example of the survival of pre-Christian ("pagan") rites into relatively recent times. It is interesting for its mix of Christian and pagan elements. This is the other side of the coin of demonizing competing gods. Those that escaped being remade into devils were often swallowed by the Church and incorporated as saints, martyrs and so on, while others, like Shony and Briannuil, were sometimes simply tolerated.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Hello Mystician

I blame the unimaginative, uncreative (and in my experience, usually young) event organisers at the corporate event agencies and the many trite, hackneyed and uninspired Haloween events that I have attended over the years for my present malady.

I am hoping that by avoiding the cause of my malaise for a couple of years my former zeal for the event will return. Smile

Oh yes, to actually answer the original question I shall be working at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham (England) as a part of the organising team for the International Motorcycle Show. Which of course is nothing whatsoever to do with magic or magick, so this, I hope will help the treatment for my Haloween overdose.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
A ghost hunt in an old cemetery...Smile
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
Despite its origins .....surely for everyone it is a fun day where the kids dress up ....go to parties and we do magic shows for them usually with a ghostly or witchtype theme .....I have done a few hundred in my performing life time and love to see the kid's faces ....and of course for the adults too a fun evening for everyone .
Methinks it seems to be taken tooo seriously as far as magic entertaining is concerned .....enjoy performing on these occasions plastic skulls .....pumpkins witches hats and all it is all part of it unless of course you are into the occult......but this is a magic site!!!!!yes?
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
"I blame the unimaginative, uncreative (and in my experience, usually young) event organisers at the corporate event agencies and the many trite, hackneyed and uninspired Haloween events that I have attended over the years for my present malady."

Keith, I hear you. One solution is to set up your own event. Not as lucrative as corporate cutesy witches and cardboard skeletons, but remember that you are a person of power. Seize the day (or night) and make it yours! Charge an arm and a leg, there are plenty extra lying around that time of year.

In the United States, Halloween is second only to the winter holiday (called Christmas here, but more like Saturnalia for shoppers) in terms of consumer spending on seasonal items: costumes, decorations, party supplies. A few years ago there were cheap animated, singing Christmas trees and Santas that haunters learned to hack apart and recast as witches and corpses. Now you can get the skeleton and witch versions of these things at the discount store. Commerce trumps puritanism in the United States, so Halloween will thrive. There are many ways to celebrate.

The challenge for each of us is to discover the true meaning of...oops, wrong holiday!

Yours,

Paul
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
I love a good séance. So as usual I'll be putting mine on again this year. Tis the season, eh?

Cheers,
-Matt (TK)

Oh and if you want some info on it so you can check it out yourself then please visit:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......75&0

I'd love to see some of you there. So if you do then by all means be sure to come over and introduce yourselves after the show.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-10-09 09:21, drwilson wrote:
The challenge for each of us is to discover the true meaning of...oops, wrong holiday!
Yours,

Paul

lol

Oh, a correction on my part - Beelzebub was a Baal, a Semitic God, not Celtic. I don't want to taint my argument with inaccuracies. ;-)
It's amazing how many pagan traditions and rituals got swallowed up by the church: from the Christmas tree to the Easter bunny, these are essentially Pagan in history.

As to the original question, at this point, I have only one answer: dunno
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Mystician:

Christianity is a bivalent religion, which by definition means that if one is not worshiping the Creator then by default one is worshiping creation (that is, committing idolatry). All false worship, in the Christian view, is Satanic in origin (Genesis 3:4) and all who worship falsely are engaging in de facto Satanism. Whether the false god is named self, money, Pan, Ishtar, Zarathustra, Loki, Pele, Nature, or _______, the object of worship is not God and the worship is thus Satanism by another name.

Yeah, Christians can tend to put a damper on certain things they view as inappropriate. I, for one, don't do Magic at church and I certainly don't go out of my way to talk about the 'seances' I enjoy performing. Still, I don't know of any Christian who wishes to return to the days of the Spanish Inquistion, a movement motivated by greed and political maneuvering rather than misguided religious zeal. In late 15th C. Spain, Spanish Jews financed the Spanish Court, and Isabella -- rather than turning over her kingdom to its rightful new owners -- defaulted on the loans by decreeing that non-Christians could not hold property in Spain. C. Colombo's journey to New Spain was financed by this thievery, and the Spanish Inquisition wasn't sanctioned by the Vatican. Obviously one could argue that silence equalled consent, but the Roman Inquisition (conducted throughout Western Christendom) never came close to the brutality and extremism of the Spanish version (localized to Spain & its possessions and ended only by the Napoleonic War).

On a grammatical note, how the blazes does one get the pronunciation "Sow-n" out of a combination of letters like "Samhain?" Please don't tell me it's an Irish thing -- I'm part blarney and I don't get it.

Leland
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 08:57, Black Hart wrote:
I hate haloween. Haloween cheapens magic. It turns what we do into plastic skulls and glow in the dark plastic cauldrons. I say this every year at this time. I now avoid coprorate gigs for Haloween. I got fed up of performing among fake spiders and waitresses with plastic witches hats.

Rant over.

Keith Hart

someone just made me smile!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What is ur plan on this year HALLOWEEN?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL