The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ambidexterity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
First off, I’m right handed. And no matter how hard I try to force myself to use my left hand, I can’t help but practice most of my coin work with my right hand.
Something I’ve noticed, though, is that after days of practicing a certain sleight, move, etc., with my right hand, it’s as if my left hand knows what to do it with a certain degree of accuracy. I guess it's a brain thing. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
Does anyone have any suggestions for making non-dominant hand practice more enjoyable? Jeff
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I went through almost the same thing with Kainoa's Coins on Edge. It's a pain to learn, but well worth it. I'm a lefty, and doing allot of that stuff with my right was very, very trying. I'd say take it slow, watch your dominant hand perform it, and try to mirror it with the other hand exactly, if possible, break your slights into pieces and practice like that
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's not a phenomenon. Your brain knows what's supposed to be done.
I'm RH and most of what I do is w/ that hand.
There are a few grips, false transfers, concealments, etc, that I can do with both hands.
Some I can do a bit better w/ my LH.

My non-dominant, less used LH is not as agile and the muscles have developed in a slightly different way over many years. Some sleights I've been successful with thru practice and others I doubt I'll ever get down pat.
It's not very enjoyable training my LH but I feel putting some time in is worth it.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8865 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Jeff is right, and I'd go a little deeper here in that I would go beyond mirroring the dominant hand....I mean, see ONLY the dominant hand...Only see it done right, not wrong or mistake ridden. I totally grasped this concept while learning to coin roll in my left hand, both hands at once. While rolling on my right, I would watch the weaker left hand criply do it's thing, but when I watched the right hand speedily roll the coin, the left would better follow. Eventually, I only watched the right hand and the left just got better and better, to even when I watched the left, I saw only the perfection of the right. In the synthesis, they became one...Practice over and over again and you will get it for sure...And remember, it is done unto you as you believe...Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3344 Posts

Profile of warren
I'd give my right hand to be ambidexterous.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8865 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Warren, if you did, you wouldn't be ambidextrous very long...Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 14:39, warren wrote:
I'd give my right hand to be ambidexterous.

I love that!! Of course my wife told me that this was too nerdy a subject to get any responses. Personally, I think this brain stuff is fascinating. And thanks to you others for your insights and input. Jeff
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I think any and all new things (grips, sleights, flourishes) somehow create a synergistic learning effect. I personally found the "coin roll" hard to learn and I put it off for years. Finally after I mastered it, it seemed like I had improved balance and sensitivity which helped me in all my coin working.

Working with the less dominent hand is certainly a good idea! And a back up hand could come in real "handy" in case of an accident. (sorry, I just had to say it)
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 18:25, español jeff wrote:
Of course my wife told me that this was too nerdy a subject to get any responses.

Obviously, she discounted the fact that you were asking a bunch of nerds. Smile

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4156 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
My right hand does a coin roll, my left does a coin bagel. Must be a New York thing....
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 22:16, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
My right hand does a coin roll, my left does a coin bagel. Must be a New York thing....

...and that definitely sounds like New York humor!
I love your Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights dvd's, Michael. You've taught me a lot.
Thanks, Jeff
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I tried it with my feet and got a pretzel.
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
Back on the subject though. Many people have recommended not learning sleights that you won't use. As a newbie, I would have to disagree with that idea. If it's an either/or situation, then of course practise those that you will use. But for us newbies I think that exercises like the coin roll with both hands (I am now pracising the UP roll too) are invaluable - they make the eye-brain-muscle coordination that much better. You also develope a much more controlled handling of an object that you are not too familiar with holding and moving around.
Incidently: I have been working on the MP for the last few months and would highly recommend this - if not for this move for itself, but for the benefits that it gives to the CP. (My MP is up to around 10+ inches in my right hand, and have just started with my left - about 1 inch only so far).
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Practice with both hands. I am struggling with this too. Mr. Kainoa Harbottle's book forces you to do sleights with both hands. A great book and I highly recommend it.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
UniversalPull
View Profile
New user
Southern California
13 Posts

Profile of UniversalPull
I learned the compression fan as a kid and was always bothered by the fact that the darn thing was backwards. The cards all looked blank (except the top one). I forced myself to do it the other way, with the other hand, and wound up accidentally being able to do it both ways. It's like playing hockey and being better at skating and turning to the left, so you focus on going to the right until you can do both equally well. Basketball is the same sort of thing. So... see there? We can't all be nerds if we play hockey and basketball!!
The easy way is seldom the best way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ambidexterity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL