The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Center
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Center
The only move worth looking at in the Paicente DVD, is the handling he shows on the Mexican Turnover. It really is nice, and is done with bent cards. Maybe a lot of cash only for one move though. Vernons thougts are also great, as allways. He explaines some points in the Revelation series, or you can find them in the Lewis Ganson books.

Best
Center
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8294 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If you can find, or get hold of, the June and July, 1978 (first year) issues of APOCALYPSE, look up Monte Plus and Monte Plus Plus. Beautiful bent corner thing, if I may say so myself. Beautiful routine in general - for magic. Check it out. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of scorch
Harry, if it's the routine I'm thinking about, isn't Monte Plus also on one of your videos? The second one, perhaps? I think I have it but can't look it up at the moment. It's a nice monte demonstration routine, with an elegant little crimp idea.
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
There is Rene Levand his three card monte from "Magic From The Soul". As with anything that Rene does, it is a routine that takes great advantage of his singular arm. If you do not have a copy of his books it would not hurt to look them up. His thinking is amazing and thought provoking.
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
I really like Simon Lovell peformance of Three Card Monte...

All the best!

:bikes: Mesquita Smile
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I only know the two card monte, but I would love to learn the three card because then I could write on the cards "kiss the magician"!!!
Superace
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
12 Posts

Profile of Superace
I still like the vernon routine (taught in Daryl's DVD) simple, straight and to the point. The ending with bent corner gets the spectators right between the eyes.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Whit Haydn, Sal Piacente, Darwin Ortiz and Richard Turner.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
621 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
There is another Three Card Monte in Apocalypse that I belive is only a foot note its two moves...that I wont repeat heare but the ending is the money card reversed in the deck. Harry If you want to through the dates at them its a great routeen...I belive the setting for the trick in the write up was a counter boy in a magic shop showing off to the laymen friend of a magi...

Anton
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All!

Is there a version of TCM that can be done standing with no table?

Thanks!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2005-11-03 03:09, Django wrote:
Hi All!

Thanks!

Harry Andersen did it on TV many years ago. I saw it for sale in Gennii magazine way back when. They were a bit larger then jumbo cards. I think it was called King Monte.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
mook
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mook
I once saw a guy throw the monte on the Strip in Vegas, and of all places, by the Brooklyn Bridge at NYNY. He did it with one hand because the other was holding a box cut into a tray, in which he was working. It was beautiful. Reading about the monte and seeing it in action are two very different things. Watched him take $100s from an unsuspecting group of girls in less than 5 mins.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-11-04 00:14, nucinud wrote:
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanks!

Harry Andersen did it on TV many years ago. I saw it for sale in Gennii magazine way back when. They were a bit larger then jumbo cards. I think it was called King Monte.

There are also in-the-hands versions with regular-sized cards, for example Gaetan Bloom's Escorial 3 Card Monte and one of Allan Hayden's monte routines found in his book entitled Haydenizms. I've performed both of these and they're two of my favorite versions.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 14:13, Harry Lorayne wrote:
If you can find, or get hold of, the June and July, 1978 (first year) issues of APOCALYPSE, look up Monte Plus and Monte Plus Plus. Beautiful bent corner thing, if I may say so myself. Beautiful routine in general - for magic. Check it out. HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry also teaches this on Video. It's a beautiful routine!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Quote:
Hi All!

Thanx!

Yes, mine!
john1960uk
View Profile
New user
John Roberts
22 Posts

Profile of john1960uk
Just a thought and I'm new to posting here so be gental with me Smile, but for traditional monte, the basis of the Vernon routine, bent corner and all, try Erdnase, and I think Gazzo the best I've seen with Ricky Jay a veeery close second.
John
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 21:44, mook wrote:
I once saw a guy throw the monte on the Strip in Vegas, and of all places, by the Brooklyn Bridge at NYNY. He did it with one hand because the other was holding a box cut into a tray, in which he was working. It was beautiful. Reading about the monte and seeing it in action are two very different things. Watched him take $100s from an unsuspecting group of girls in less than 5 mins.

Consider where you'll be performing this. If there's no worry about police, I'd always go for the routine that looks like the real deal (i.e., three cards that are bent like tents and thrown onto a table). The real deal is something that tons of people have heard about and some have even seen so you automatically have a draw as soon as the cards are out. Throw in the fact that you're "explaining" how it's done and you have that great gambling/con premise that helps to draw people in. Anderson also has a thrown monte routine called the "last monte" which goes one step beyond the bent corner - a torn corner ending. If you do decide to go this route, the SFS stuff listed above is really good and will really help you present it like you know what you're talking about.

If there's a chance that the cops will get upset, use one of the in your hands versions mentioned above or the Kitson Miracle/dutch looper. Patrick Page and Bob Sheets have good routines with this that fry people. Harry Anderson's Three Card Monarch is a good jumbo card version and I think you can get it in regular sized cards as well (or follow the instructions in his book).
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
A on the hands monte---- killer kitson miracle by Bob Sheets. Its an awesome routine! DVD and Bob's patter. Definitely a great walkaround routine!
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 07:19, themagicman101 wrote:
I only know the two card monte, but I would love to learn the three card because then I could write on the cards "kiss the magician"!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm going to go for it.

MonteThrower, you like Picante's the best, but which ones did you also review so we know what you're comparing it to?

I have watched the SFS DVD and I thought it was extremely in-depth. Thanks SFS for providing such detail on your media.

Daryl's seems effective but more of a lighthearted approach to the trick.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 14:14, MagicChris wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 14:13, Harry Lorayne wrote:

Harry also teaches this on Video. It's a beautiful routine!

This is on "Harry Lorayne is probably the BEST teacher of, entertainer with, close-up card magic ever" (nothing like modesty, eh?) vol 7.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL