The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » One trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
Greetings Long time lurker, first time poster. First of all thank you to everyone who has contributed to this wealth of information. A little background about me ando my question. I am the children's pastor of a medium size church and have been doing illusions for a couple of years now. Our church is doing a halloween alternative, carnival games, balloons, food ,ect. Every 30 minutes we shut all the games down and do a puppet skit followed by an illusion. My question is what illusion would you use to drive home the point "choices". I have done routines that all lead up to a point, but what about just a single illusion or two at the most. Thanks in advance
In service of the King Donnie
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
When you use the word "illusion," are you talking about a large scale stage illusion (i.e., sawing in half, levitation, etc.), or are you using the word to describe any type of "platform/parlor" magic trick (i.e., Stratospheres, Die Box, Cut & Restored Rope, etc)?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
I guess I have my terms confused What I meant was parlor type tricks
Thanks Donnie
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I built a trick that works nicely, as a matter of fact I call it and the show I use it in "It's your choice".

Make jumbo cards with all the choices of activities you disscuss during the show and then show them to the kids and put them in groups of 3-4. Display them on a stand that holds the groups of cards. One slot has a false back with a card that reads Christ or success or whatever Positive choice you want to use hidden behind it. Eliminate cards by letting the audience choose stacks of cards until you have just one card for each section on your stand. Then magician choice them to the spot with the Positive card. (I show the cards as they are chosen and remind them why these are all negative choices to be discarded from our life.) When you are down to the final card, you lift it and thefalse back and the positive card as oneand turn them around on your stand. Then explain if we stay away from all the negative choices it only leaves Jesus because it is through Christ that we can make good choices. The Jesus card is now free to pick up and examine. People are amazed when a card that was not there is revealed in the end.

If you have any questions on how to put it together let me know or pm me.

Curt
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I use a routine from Magic for Dummies book. Using the idea of pre-loading a large bill into the lifesavers, I load instead a piece of paper with "Jesus" written on it.

I have five different types of hard candy laid out, or hanging from string. Using the force of your choice (you could add a sixth and add some more force choices), they end up choosing the Lifesaver.

Compliment them on the fine choice, and talk about the real life saver as you break open the one choosen showing Jesus.

John
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Professors Nightmare is a great utility routine. It can be used to illustrate different type of choices we make in our lives.

The biggest choice is of course to accept the grace freely given when we ask for it.

As Nigel has been singing lately..."Nothing you can say, can tear me away from My God.(With apologies to Mary Wells)

Change bags are also a great utility prop. One side could have i.e. different colored coins with bible sayings and the other one coin with the message you want them to choose. You can also talk about how some choices influence many results. Such as to use/abuse alcohol and other drugs.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Speaker
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
Thanks for the ideas Donnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » One trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL