The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo Master Class: Part 3 (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Lessons Learned

The typical theatrical performance in Portland rehearses for four hours a night, five nights a week, for four weeks before it goes in front of a paying audience. You're not going to learn the cups and balls in two days, but you can get the basics you need to go home and build the routine. I'd gone through the routine a few dozen times before I went to the class; I could get through it without stopping, but it wasn't very good. Even so, I hoped that base would help me in the class. It did help some, but the routine Gazzo taught is slightly different than the one in his book. There's also the matter of adrenaline.

Did you know that adrenaline makes you a worse performer if you're not 100% confident in what you're doing? It's true. In improv comedy, I see lots of performers who do perfectly good stuff in workshops and then either freeze up or go way too loose when they perform. That's what happened to me when I got up to do the routine at the end of Day Two. I thought I had it down (adrenaline-based confidence) and tried to throw in the jokes I wanted to use in the routine. I sucked. I didn’t do any of the misdirection we'd been taught, I moved way too early in loading the melon, and I flashed a couple of times. Where Gazzo had been complimentary before, he told me straight out that I'd fallen apart. That hurt my pride. A lot. I'm better now, but I've practiced the routine a few more times and will do it many more times before showing it to my friends. Then it's back to the rehearsal room. Then to the street.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Curt, as you saw, you were in good company where the adrenaline thing was concerned. Even those who felt 'confident' with their own skills knew they were in front of one of the greats, and the nerves showed accordingly. I will say this though - the guys from Temecula are in for a real treat. Even though I just went through the class, I find myself envying them. This is a really exclusive opportunity, and while just about any of us will pay the two fifty for a set of coins or a Dean's box, I personally spent over thirty hours with Gazzo between Friday and Sunday, and I am meeting with him yet again. Try to get that kind of return out of a prop!

I also have to touch on one other thing. Gazzo's reputation is much more 'colorful' than the man. Gazzo is as colorful as his 'character' needs to be at any given time, but the man is one I would like to keep as a friend. He is kind, he is steeped in magic history, and is a walking encyclopedia on magic effect and performance. I have attended acting classes in college and not learned as much about the development of a character. He has a real desire to make you a better magician, and will go so far as placing your fingers on the precise spots on a deck of cards to get it done. If you try, he'll try harder.

I hope the Temecula gang is ready for one of the best magic experiences they've ever had. Gazzo heads that way on Thursday, and Seattle will be turning him loose with great reluctance. Don't be one of the ones who could have gone but didn't, you'll regret it. I am not a street guy, probably more of a parlor guy - but Gazzo made me better at it. Good luck to the coming classes, you're in for a real blast!
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
Hello, Is anyone going to Temecula from the Los Angeles area? If so, Please pm so that we can car pool down there. Thanks!!!
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
A buddy of mine Tim Flynn wanted me to post this for him. He attended the Seattle Masterclass

The Gasso master class, er that's Gazzo, sorry mate! Er,
hot bag of wind that!
Just finished attending the Gazzo master class, 2 days of
raucous training in street performing!
I will attempt to give an honest review...
13 of us brave souls attended one of the most blistering of
magic classes you will ever attend. We all were laughing
and carrying on as we learned such things as "tossed out
deck", the egg bag routine, and Gazzos' special rendition
of "the cups and balls"...
I think the main thing learned by everyone was more than
just the tricks themselves, but rather more about presence
in magic, engage your audience, get out from behind your
table, you want to make big hats, don't hide yourself, who
are you doing the magic for? Yourself? NO!
Gazzo asked us on the 2nd day, "Do you think you got your
moneys worth?" The cost was $250.00 per individual, before
the class I was wondering about this very thing, $250.00
that's a lot of money, especially since I was on strike for
a month... also, I didn't know if I would be able to attend
the class or not, family stuff gettin in the way.
I went anyway, the wife will get over it! I think it will
take much time for my mind to unpack all that transpired...
Did I get my moneys' worth? Absolutely, how often do you
get to spend 18 hours with a master at street performin?,
have him teach you? Pick his brain, and laugh and cuss at
the same time??? By the way, Gazzo was available all night
long, well after the scheduled class times.
Tossed out deck is a fabulous card routine involving up to
six audience members, remember to involve the audience,
they are your hat! The egg bag routine was spotless, quite
miraculous and I bought his dvd... Most of the time was
spent on the cups and balls, but involved in this is much
more than cups and balls. How's that? Presentation, getting
larger, more theatrical, more engaging. It's not hard to do
either, considering Gazzos' cups and balls are the largest
I've ever worked with.
This brings up the only real negative I have about the
class. Giving out adequate information on what to bring to
the class... You will need a LARGE "close up" mat. The one
I use is for practicing and actually causes me to do magic
for myself, who are we performing for? As we practice on
these close up mats, we do not "get out from behind the
table."
You should have a mat that is about 3 feet by 20 inches,
and you had better have a "rim" on your table to keep the
balls from rolling off onto the floor, especially if you
are going to use Gasso's, er Gazzos' cups. They are too
large to fit on your standard mat. They will be actually
touching each other, how you gonna get your hands in
between them to pick them up. Also, we needed to bring a
hat! Not a baseball cap. But a magicians hat, a boller,
something large, large enough to actually hide somethng
large in and to get the money!
We spent a lot of time on the cups and balls, and using a
leather pouch to hide loads etc. If you think the class
isn't for you because of the time spent learning Gazzos
cups and balls, think again. INterwoven in the whole
routine is something larger than merely doing the magic of
the cups and balls. It is the Magic of performing. By using
the techniques learned and taught by Gazzo, ALL of your
magic will improve and so will your hat sizes. I don;t know
if I will ever actually do Gazzo's cup and ball routine,
the cups are expensive, you must have a pouch to carry the
amazing final loads and the pouch is expensive as well.
However, having said that, maybe I will! A great time was
had by all!
Tim Flynn
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Thanks for these posts on the Gazzo class, and actually all the posts on busking lately, especially your video clips Mr. Timmy (you've joined with us Irish now, I see Smile ). I've never busked, but have been thinking more and more about it--thinking about developing a show for the spring. Do you know if Gazzo ever comes east into the NYC - Boston - Philly area?

Gary
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks for the posting Timmy's review, Tom. I'm considering the Las Vegas Class, if it's not full already.

I have a question for anybody who might know: I've never done the Tossed Out Deck, Egg Bag, or Cups and Balls...never. I've been doing magic 30 years, but have never touched these effects. I do want to learn to perform all three. So, is this class for me, or is Gazzo assuming students have a working knowledge of these effects?

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 11:23, Ron Reid wrote:
Thanks for the posting Timmy's review, Tom. I'm considering the Las Vegas Class, if it's not full already.

I have a question for anybody who might know: I've never done the Tossed Out Deck, Egg Bag, or Cups and Balls...never. I've been doing magic 30 years, but have never touched these effects. I do want to learn to perform all three. So, is this class for me, or is Gazzo assuming students have a working knowledge of these effects?

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Read this thread.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Ron, you should swing up to the Temecula class this weekend.

You do not need to know the routines, not at all. In fact, those who haven't messed with the cups often progress quicker than those who know it, since there is a bit of deprogamming that has to be done.

The items Gazzo uses to teach could be anything. It really doesn't matter. His lessons on misdirection, timing, body language, etc. are what the class is really about. It's not about "learning Gazzo's routines" at all. Certainly you will learn them, but the real value is the real world experience that he's sharing with you that you will use in everything you do in the future.

Ask the guys who were at Tom Frank's house last night how well Gazzo uses misdirection and timing. That's what the class is about in a larger sense.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Ron, Gary, I would certainly suggest that you check with Gazzo on the remaining classes out west. The Vegas class would be a cheap destination, and one can certainly find lodging for a song. Trust me, you won't need much in the way of lodging, you'll rarely be in your room! Gazzo will surprise anyone who takes the time to find out what he is really all about. I know about his reputation, but you've never met anyone more concerned about the quality or YOUR magic. He has the heart and the message that he wants us performers to quit being so selfish and performing FOR our audiences. There really is a way to project yourself into the audience and engage them. The legends in magic knew (and know) this, and it is something that we can all learn. In the end, it is a better product for all concerned, and people get to experience the kind of magic that brings change. If I'd seen Gazzo as a younger man, I would never have taken the 'break' from magic that I did. I would have spent my life on the streets, as he did. I have always performed, but I never knew how I could touch someone's heart by being unselfish, and sharing my performance with them. Please don't ever make this about 'Gazzo's cups and balls,' for it is so much more.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Thanks, guys! I'm going to see what I can do. This weekend may be out of the question, but Vegas looks pretty good. I've got to check with Southwest on flights from Phoenix to Vegas.

Ron
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
When are the Las Vegas dates? I need a reminder?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Frank, wouldn't San Francisco's class be closer for you.

I'm curious about how many in the SF Bay Area are planning on attending the class in San Francisco. Since we can get 100+ people to attend "lectures" with no hands on-personal critique of our own work, what Gazzo is offering is a veritable bargain and unheard of opportunity. Given the wonderful reviews from some attendees is exciting to me also - makes me want to go even more (this is unlike the bloated buildups we are seeing in some threads for currently unreleased items or opportunities soon to be in a neighborhood like yours, but not yet).

So, who in the Bay Area is planning on attending Gazzo's workshop in San Francisco?

Given San Francisco's reputation/history for "street performance", this should be a no-brainer opportunity for everyone.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The Las Vegas class is October 29th and 30th.

I am flying in early on the 28th, and leaving late in the afternoon of the 31st so I don't miss anything.

And I wish you guys would all just stop talking about how good it was....

It is difficult enough to wait until the end of October as it is. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
None of these dates are working out for me. I'm getting cranky.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Dan, well said. I must say that I have been shocked at the treatment I have had from the SF area people I've been in contact with regarding bringing the class to SF. Frank helped me out some, pointed me in some directions, and you looked for some things for us, both of which we are grateful for. However, the willingness to help get the word out in the local area has been something I have never experienced.

We have basically been told by two people who would be instrumental in getting the word out to locals, that there was no point in coming because everyone there already knows all they need to know and even if they didn't, they'd never pay for training (I think that's a load of crap, but if that's the attitude of the people who are being asked to help get the word to locals, then we can't risk coming there and having no less than the required minimum show up).

With the cards stacked against us, not being able to get the word out to everyone there in an efficient manner, it seems that we'll be canceling San Francisco and making Las Vegas the last class on the West Coast circuit.

So, the last class will be in Vegas on 29th and 30th of October. After that, I can tell you, the shape of making classes happen will be far different and much less available to people.

So if you had plans to attend a class, you might want to rush into Temecula for the best chance, or try and get into Vegas.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 19:19, Magicpitch wrote:

We have basically been told by two people who would be instrumental in getting the word out to locals, that there was no point in coming because everyone there already knows all they need to know and even if they didn't, they'd never pay for training (I think that's a load of crap, but if that's the attitude of the people who are being asked to help get the word to locals, then we can't risk coming there and having no less than the required minimum show up).

You're right, it is a load of crap. I attended the Gazzo Master Class just a little over a week after winning the PCAM Pro Challenge with my cup and ball act. An act I have been doing in one form or another for quite some time. An act I have been refining for over a decade. I still found value in the Gazzo Master class and learned many things that I can apply, not only to my cup and ball routine but my overall performances as well. The egg bag techniques alone were worth the price of admission.
Good magicians learn tricks, Great Magicians never stop learning.
It was great spending time with you guys at this class and I wish you well on your continued travels and I more than likely will be ordering a set of cups from you in the near future.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
WHAT??!!! The San Fran class was the only dates I could get arranged. Man, this is a disappointment. Not in Gazzo or Magicpitch of course, but in the outward stupidity of others.
I once had a similar experience here. An awesome Magician (who hadnt lectured in a very long time) was coming to my area. I arranged the place, the food and even talked to the clubs about it. Higher-ups from the local clubs heard about it and asked why he didn't book through them, his response was that he really didn't have a lot of merchandise to sell and so there wouldnt be a lot of sales going on after the fact, hence he wouldnt be making much money off the lecture unless he was able to charge more at the door. The club didn't want to charge a higher rate for anyone, nor did they want to charge their members at all. This guy was traveling across the USA lecturing and I can see his point in wanting to at least cover the expenses.
Well, due to politics (in my opinion) and a couple lame excuses from the club presidents and peeons, absolutely nobody showed up. NOBODY! Later, I asked several members why they didn't show, and they said they didn't hear anything about it or they would have been there.
It was apparent what happened. The so-called hiarchy of the clubs didn't pass any info on and it showed. Disapointing to say the least. This magician knew what had happened within the first five minutes and just accepted it. He said sometimes, people and politics can be like that. I think this guy was a class act and I applaud him!
It sounds to me like maybe this is a similar situation.
Maybe I'll be able to catch one of the other classes....
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
I am embarrassed to be a San Franciscan. The actions or inactions of our community are reflective of politics from the local up to the national level in this country, and thus how we are perceived by others - not a pretty picture.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Please don't be disappointed Dan. You have nothing to be ashamed off. There are some fantastic people there and it would be a great class, I'm sure. However, when a couple of people make it clear that they have no plans to help with it, in it's current state, then it'd be foolish for us to fly up, book a hotel, pay for the meeting room, and have 3 people show up. Not because only 3 people would be interested, but because only 3 people might be aware it's even happening. You'd think with the internet, the word would travel far and wide, but it doesn't. I promise you had we made it up there, we'd be bombarded with emails and posts from people saying "I didn't even know you were in the area".

Such is life. In time, those who wish to control everything will lose their positions, and the scene will change.

Thanks for your help Dan. See, there are great people in SF! Just a couple who have their head up their.....
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Dan, Frank, and BAH, I can certainly feel your pain. I had hoped that the reviews of the Gazzo Master Class would be enough to generate interest in San Francisco. For goodness sake, all you need is a dozen or so people, and you were three of them already! So, you'd think that nine more people wouldn't necesarily be a deal-breaker. Sadly, when it comes down to politics and pieces of the pie, there is little one can do. I will tell you this though. I would do what I could to make Temecula or Vegas. Actually, Temecula would probably be the better choice as far as making it into the class, but this is so worth the effort. Dan, you know that I was as frustrated for you as you were, but it seems like no matter how much you guys worked, the folk we needed for getting the word out just weren't on board. I am sorry for you, and I hope that you all get to experience a Gazzo Master Class. If nothing else, you've made two very good friends in Gazzo and Steve - they are two of the good guys.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Gazzo Master Class: Part 3 (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL