The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with large birds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I've already performed a search but can not find any information (books, videos, dvds) that deal with large bird magic (parrots, cockatoos, ect.) Any help and/or direction would be appreciated.

Take care, Bry
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Do a search for "Dave Womach". He has two videos on parrot magic.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
This my sound harsh, but the best advice that I can give you from my 10 years of experience working with exotic birds and my 14 years as a magician is, if you are thinking of using exotic birds DON'T. They are a pain in the neck and traveling with them is enough to make you crazy.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
Dave Womach is definitely the way to go.
retrostylemagic
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Thanks guys......

Take care,

Bryan
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Matthew is right...
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 23:02, MDS wrote:
This my sound harsh, but the best advice that I can give you from my 10 years of experience working with exotic birdsand my 14 years as a magician is, if you are thinking of using exotic birds DON'T. They are a pain in the neck and traveling with them is enough to make you crazy.
Matthew

I've been using macaws and cockatoos in my shows for the past ten years, too. I'm almost crazy now. I get stressed out making them as comfortable as possible during travels. I would rather bring no animals at all but I am also proud of them that's why I do it.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Believe this guy (Lou Hilario) I've assisted him numerous times. He's even more stressed than the birds! The birds are much much more relaxed than he is! LOL!!!
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I have a 26 year old blue front green amazon parrot as a companion pet. They have the mentality of a 5 year old, which can be really cute at times but equally horrific. Our Dickie (that's his name... he earns it) is quite intelligent although I would imagine it to be extremely difficult to train him for stage.

TGN

..and NO I would not hang him (or his cage) by my nipples
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
TGN,

That is very true, it is very difficult and darn near impossible to train a bird to work in a show if it isn't a baby. It is not impossible, but near.

Lou,

I agree that it does have its rewards, but it has its stressful times as well. I am pretty much to the point that I don't use my macaw in shows very often. Actually I very rarely use any livestock anymore because I am traveling sooooo much and doing corporate gigs. Even in my illusion show I don't use livestock unless it is especially requested and in that case they pay for it.

Listen to Eric guys, he is a professional that has toured the world (Plus he has shared a dressing room with me and knows how annoying having large birds can be).
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
David,
Was it the bird that was annoying? Just kidding. Hope all is well.

Your remarks are right on target. I know their is a marketing point to using livestock but it is a hassle. I'll stick to flowers and silks. No feed. No Mess.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Airports, bird flu, and bird crap... all reasons to avoid magic with livestock
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy has done a Tea Party routine for years with a goose. She also owns the only stage prop custom made for "Goose to Goat". (The magenta stuff behind her in the photo)

Yep, it's done!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
If you are a local performer or have a permanent theater like Lance, and Rick Thomas then a big bird is the way to go. On the other hand if you travel and do one nighters then using a big bird can be very difficult. I only use the birds when specifically requested to do so.

When I first started performing the birds were like a crutch. You think to your self that it always gets a great reaction and establishes you as a skilled magician so you can't work with out them. The truth is once you've built that confidence in yourself and your act you don't really need the birds.

Some of the greatest magicians in comedy, mentalism, and illusion once did dove acts. McBride, Lupo, Sigfried, Copperfield, and the list goes on..... And in that time travel with animals was a lot easier. For that case in the past eight years that I've traveled with birds it has dramatically changed. The events of New Castle's, West Nile, SAR's,Bird Flu, and of course 911 have made travel with birds is almost impossible.

In my opinion find other ways to make your magic memorable. This is just not the time or place for the Bird Act right now.

Puck
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Puck,

I agree with you totally about animal acts on the road. Given a choice we do not usually take animals far from home. This week we were close by so we used a horse. In September we were in New York and didn't even carry doves. This coming week I'm in Tennessee but not taking doves. A few weeks back I was in Houston (to just be run out by hurricane Rita!) and carried no birds. I have also carried birds for shows days away.

The best arrangement is working at the same location every show so that nothing has to be moved. Often life is not that good. (The uncle that raised me was also a rodeo producer. Take 130 horses, 40 calves, 80 steers and 40 to 60 one-ton bulls down the road for the shows! Birds and rabbits become no problem. (Of course magicians don't make that kind of money either.)

I don't agree with you that confidence has anything to do with whether we use birds, horses, goats, geese or rabbits. (And we use them all!) It is a matter of what the talent buyer bought. That's what they get. I have even used live lobsters.

Timing is the most important part of a rain dance. We do agree that the timing is poor to travel internationally with birds.

Confidence isn't a factor if you are a pro. You are a performing magician or you're not. The tricks and props are incidental.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Bob,

To use a quote from TA Waters, Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians..."While exotic animals may add momentary interest, their presence alone will not sell an act.

I am only suggesting to a magician thinking about adding exotic birds to his act that it is not at all necessary. Ask any magician that started out working with birds that he truly becomes dependent upon them. The hardest thing for a bird act to do is branch out without taking his feathered friends.

The confidence I spoke about is what is important for any successful magic act. It's even more important for a dove act since the birds sometimes will buy you a performance pass. I have seen even the worst dove act do ok with a lay audience. His performance to me was weak but the audience put stock in the birds anyway. Once a starting magician gets this acceptance just for the flapping of a dove he has a tendency to think that he's good. When you can hold an audience with out livestock that to me is the confidence needed for a true performer.

When I had my permanent show I was doing and hour that included the bird act in the beginning. At the end of the show the audience that I spoke with hardly ever mentioned the birds. They had just seen an hour of comedy, audience participation, manipulation, and illusions. That let me know how unimportant the birds had become.

Even the greatest dove act of our time in my opinion, James Dimmare has desperetly tried to discard the birds. He has branched out into illusions, comedy, talking, and other fields of magical performance. This should be a sign.

Just food for thought......

Puck
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Puck,

Point well-taken.

Sometimes the identity drives us. It can trap you. One of the best guitarist I ever knew was Roy Orbison. People would only let him sing.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with large birds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL