The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Diamond Plated Steel Box Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
p:m
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Profile of p:m
Anyone used this? Or seen it?

Im wondering if it is at all worth purchasing from Mark or building your own.

So, again, Anyone have it or performed with it?
<BR>www.petermckinnon.com
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I have seen Mark performing it and it is really good. I think it would be courteous to the Cannon's if you purchased one. After all, Mark designed it and did all the research. This could be a feature of your show.

Mick
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I agree with Mick. Marks performance of it is great and as its his effect you should really buy it rather than just build one, only fair really.

There are a few others that already use it and many pictures of performers in them that form part of their promo.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I do this escape, and so does my partner. Actually, it was his, but I liked it so much, I think I've inherited the job. I'm in the process of incorporating a costume change into it, currently. It is, not surprisingly, well made. I would definitely recommend purchasing it rather than making one as it is ethically the respectful thing to do. The quality and audience reaction will not disappoint. I can't say whether it would be worth it for you to add this to your repetoire as I don't know your work-style, but we are happy with it.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Its a great idea,,,shame that I am too over wieght to fit inside it and having enquired how much it would cost to have my leg off in order to fit in it, I had to decline from buying.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Kondini,

You and I have the same view for the same reason. Perhaps Mark can construct one for us more "mature" body types? I just don't know how we'd ever be able to move it! Smile

All the best,

Rob
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
That's the fun of it! Seriously, it's hard for just about everyone to move in the box. I'm quite small (5'4") and I only have a little open space above my arms. With proper positioning and cuffing I can fill the open space too. I'm adding the costume change just for an added impossibility factor.
I bet Mark would custom make them though if you were really interested. It does get a big response for a "little" box... The audience members who are claustrophobic have the best responses.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I saw something similar to this box at the lab I work. OSHA and NRC regulations require certain storage containers for the nuclear gages we use. They delivered three to the lab one day, and they looked strikingly similar to Mark's Diamond Plated Steel Box. I was examining the storage containers and one of my co-workers asked me what I was doing. They already knew I was into magic and escapes, so it came as no surprise to any of them when I replied, "I'm looking to see if I can be stuffed into this."

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
First of all, let me preface my remarks by stating that I appreciate all the work it takes to be an escape artist and I love the people involved, escapes don't do much for me.

However, that being said, if I were to put one escape in my act, the diamond plate box would be the one. Why? Gimmicked or not, I'm always suspicious of handcuffs and legcuffs. However, when the box opens a little and a hand comes out to open the combo lock, that sells the effect all together. The drama doesn't get any better.

I saw Kristen (Living Illusions) do it at Cannon's last weekend and it was my favorite escape. She did a fantastic job of selling the illusion.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I agree, I love this escape. I missed Mark Cannon's escape from it at last years convention but I was fortunate enough to see Dean Gunnerson escape from it at the evening show. For me it was the Highlight of the convention. This year Kristen also did a first class job with an even smaller box, and it was certainly one of the highlights of this years convention as well. Unfortunately I am in the same boat as Kondini and Rob since I'm dressing out near the 250 pound mark. On top of that, being extremely claustraphobic, I think I'll pass on purchasing this particular escape for now and leave it to more capable hands like Nell and Kristen. However should I be so inclined, I would definitely purchase one from the Cannon's as opposed to building one. Everything I've ever bought from them has always been well worth the money and extremely well made. Plus they both do so much to promote this art that I like to do whatever I can to be supportive of them. I do consider it somewhat unethical to copy an idea of theirs just to save a few bucks. Think about how much different all of our lives would be if the Cannon's were forced out of business due to lack of support from the escape community. OK I'm getting off of my soap box now, let me just sum things up here. BOX GOOD! BUY FROM CANNONS!!
Best regards, Tony Parisi
cuffs
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Ca
94 Posts

Profile of cuffs
Hi. For what its worth, I missed last years show and have not seen the box being performed before. Mark showed it to me while it was sitting in a corner of his garage but I did not know at that time that it could make such a striking illusion.
Kristen presented it very well and as a lay person when it comes to escapes, I thought it was spectacular. I would also urge one to go through the Cannons if you need to add this to your repertoire.

mark
O--O
Mark Lyons O--O

Collector of Handcuffs from around the World

Who are you and how did you get in here? I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.

Leslie Nielsen Lt. Frank Drebin, "Police Squad"
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Hmm. I am definately intrested. But it is also very expensive.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
It is only expensive if you don't get a return on your investment. I added a $500 effect to my show and raised my fee. It paid for itself in 4 or 5 shows. Look at it as an investment and calculate your payback time. Only then can you be sure it is worth it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I don’t know how it can be considered expensive! Let’s see, you can pay upward to $1,000.00 for a set of cups, heck the mean cost of a set of cups for cups and balls of those available is about $250.00! Yes there are $25.00 sets available that work but…

You will spend over $100.00 and up for a trick wallet. I was looking at a single function mentalism wallet that allowed you to peek information that cost about $150.00!

A quality nest of wooden boxes runs from between $200.00 and $900.00!

I guess the price is relative. If you get a quality prop and YOU USE IT then it costs very little. If you buy a prop and it sits in a drawer or on the shelf, or in the basement then you just wasted your money.

I spent almost as much for a Steve Bakers Challenge Belt as I did for a set of “street cups” (the cups actually cost more). I have used the Belt weekly the cups sit on my shelf (yes I will use them, yes I will use them, or maybe not!).

Cost is not measured by the price tag of the prop. The price tag may keep the prop out or your hands simply because you can’t get the money together. But the real value is in if you use the prop. Look at your act. Will any given prop add value to the act? If the answer is no then don’t think about if, if yes then work to include it.

By the way, I got my Belt and Cups by NOT buying a ton of smaller and less expensive “stuff”. I would read an ad and think, “I want that card trick or DVD”. I’d be honest with myself and know that I was just looking for the secret and would never add the thing to anything I did. So I’d put the money that it would have cost into my “big trick fund”. In a years time I had enough money to buy two expensive props that I honestly believed that I would use and use regularly. So far the Cups have not paid off.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Thanks a lot Murph.

Your posts are always helpful.

I am going to take your advice and basically start saving for this because I feel it will be a big finish for my show.

I wonder if the combo lock is included with it..
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
JAK, thanks for the kind words! Every thing you need is included with the box. What can I say? It is complet, an act unto itself!

My plan had been to get to the convention to see if I could stuff myself into one. My daytime job kept me from going but I am sure I would have come home with one! I have been saving for months to invest in it.

Now I may try to talk Nell into letting me come up to Morgantown (an hour away) and trying to stuff myself into hers.

This can be a killer prop!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

I will also be saving for quite a while. But I can just imagine the looks on people's faces when your hand squeezes through and begins to dial the combo lock blind.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
The effect is well worth the money! I hate to say that just for the sake of trying to keep strong performance pieces out of the hands of many, but I'm much too honest. If you're looking for an effect like this, it's a wise investment and a major crowd pleaser.
I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree and I know money doesn't just fall from the sky, but I also understand the importance of buying quality props, IF I plan on using them all the time. I saved all the money I made working at a theatre festival this summer. Most of it went to bills, but I was determined to make an investment in my act. So, I just recently purchased 'Hospitality' from David Charvet, it was a $500 prop, but it kills, and it's beautifully made. I had the rights and carpentry experience to build this illusion myself, but the craftsmanship trumps the simplistic approach I might have taken with it to save some money, had I built it myself. It was a wise investment, for another small prop which plays big.

The steel box belongs to my partner. He paid for it, but he too saves his money for purchasing illusions he strongly desires to perform. That's the best advice I can give because what's right for one person may not be right for someone else. I've seen illusions on television, many times, that weren't suited for their performer at all, but then I see it by someone else with a nearly identical presentation and it blows me away. Of course, creativity in performance is always a plus in my mind.
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

I am also finishing up college. About a year to go. So Money is scarce. but this is something I would like to invest in. If only I lived in Maryland. I could check out the box with you guys. Oh well!
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I have a year left too...it delays graduation when you change your major, but to actually learn some skills in college, it's worth the extra semester. Plus I'll get to do a big capstone production showcasing my magic and my theatre training, which I probably wouldn't have time for this spring. Next summer will be very valuable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Diamond Plated Steel Box Escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL