The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Blaine the only cool magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
I got a kick out of a lay reviewer’s comment one time that David Blaine was the only magician he ever saw that didn't come across as a total dork. Reminds me of Penn & Teller’s comment that magicians are “greasy guys in tuxes with lots of birds.”

Now this is funny, because I thought David Copperfield had a “hip” persona, but maybe that was then, this is now. Seems odd that of all the millions of magicians out there, and dozens of well-known magicians, so few would be seen as “cool” or “hip” nowadays.

Why do you think this is, what does it say about magic, and is there anything that magicians can or should do about it?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Get on the streets and LISTEN to real people. Then open some magazines or look on TV for what people are wearing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stine
View Profile
Regular user
TN
152 Posts

Profile of stine
Houdin took magic from wizards costumes to evening dress.Blaine took it from Vegas costume hip to hip-hop.The more the magician seems "just like us", the more effective and deceptive his material seems to be.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Was in my boxers performing pk silverware! whatever your audience like! lol
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Robert-Houdin and later on Charles Bertram moved magic from story to ordinary. Mark Wilson did the Pat Boone thing, Doug Henning, David Copperfield, David Blaine and now Cris Angel have brought contemporary sensibilities to magic. Angel is a very tame cross between Trent Reznor's (NIN) and Marilyn Manson's recent images.

One could take the theme as "wizard steps out of story book to visit our world in disguise as one of us", and go Randolph Carter (Lovecraft) from there. Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I haven't been hip since 1968.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Media defines what's hip...and that's a shame in a way...u've got cosmopolitan, vanity fair, GQ, FHM, etc....and for our magic community we have David Blane, Criss angel and the likes...

No really!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Sorry guy, I don't read Red Book, Cosmo, Vanity Fair or GQ. But I bet the folks I ask about style do. Maxim? Stuff? ...
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
What happened to Copperfield? When did he stop being cool? Is he just too OLD? Or was he never cool?
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Magicalartist : cool is something subjective....little minds (and I wont take it back) are TOLD what is cool...anyways, what's cool to you is lame for others and vice versa...so you cant really define cool!

and Mr, I just gave the magazines as an example just to pin point one way of how "robotized" and "hypnotized" most people are...we live in a world where you are told what to dream about and dictated what to say...some of us are aware of that fact and just don't play along...

you don't have to dress in a gothic way to be cool, you don't have to dress like david blain/p diddy or jiggy ma widdy to look cool... I saw peter marvey perform this winter, he didn't dress "cool" but his performance was cool....all that counts is your performance! (my opinion)

No really!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bingo!

This morning, I had two different teenagers I performed for tell me I was "cool!"

It must have been the performance, because when I'm not performing, I'm invisible to them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
I rest my case! lol

No really!!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Magicians of today can entomb themselves in a block of ice. That's pretty cool. Smile

I agree with pkg.
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Yes, he is.

Posted: Oct 13, 2005 10:40pm
---------------------------------------------------
We need magicians who are relevenant, not just those striving to be fashionable and cool. Not all of us read People magazine and adore celebrities.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I work two different college bars these days, of and on, and have done the past fourteen years at Northwestern University's Dance Marathon (the longest running student-run charity event in the nation) and, at 53, I regularly get told that I am the coolest thing that they've seen.

But the act I do at Dance marathon is the hypnosis show, so of course they would say that...! Smile

Magic, especially close up magic, if entertaining and interactive, is inherently cool to most people. It's reviewers who are clueless as to what's cool for the general public, in my experience.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Correction to my post above: There are 2 cool magicians: David Blaine and Lee Darrow, C.H.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
The very fact that the post asks; "Is Blaine the only cool magician?" Is uncool. I believe todays vernacular is hip or hipster.
POOF!
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
What happened to Copperfield? When did he stop being cool? Is he just too OLD? Or was he never cool?
He was never thought of as cool. He was always generally regarded as something of a dork. Actually, after his last TV special a couple of years back, someone told me "he doesn't look as dorky as he used to", so maybe he's on his way to becoming a "cool old guy".

But I don't know where people got the idea that he was ever considered "cool". People thought the illusions he did were "cool", but he himself was slouching toward geekdom. Does no one remember the gasps from the general populace when he married a supermodel?

Posted: Oct 14, 2005 4:13pm
P.S. No offence, David. I always thought you were cool.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1215 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Cool and hip or hep are two different things.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
If you have ever been to a Copperfield show you would know that he is the very definition of cool and this is coming from a teenager, of coarse it is all scripted and written by the best writers out their so its all an act, and from what I hear David is a very shy individual in person. Never the less Copperfields the man!!!!!!! at least when he performs
Who is Tattoo Joe?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Blaine the only cool magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL