The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Blaine the only cool magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 16:03, Whit Haydn wrote:
I haven't been hip since 1968.

I probably wasn't hip in 1968, but I bet I was cute!

My hip years were around 1980, which "hip" meant Devo and A Flock of Seagulls.

I wasn't hip.

I was into Elvis, and John Coltrane, and Maynard Ferguson. (I was hip in band circles.)

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I'm cool.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Quote:

If you're not hip, who is?
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Just a thought.
Something I heard on the radio.
The queston was why are all the movie stars so important and in the news so often.
The answer from a one time Hollywodd producer was that the media creates wow stories about the stars simply to have something to write about. Somehow this gives them power over all of us. If you hear what really goes on they are just like you and me. You know, drugs, murder, slander and all that cool stuff.

If you have ever been around TV people and knew something about what was actually going on and what got reported you will know right away that what you read ain't necessarily so.

Several times I have been on TV and have been at conventions where the local TV guys were roaming to get a story. A first I was honored that they might point a camera at me. Now, I just tell them in an unpolite way to get lost. That is the way they will treat me.
Al

Oh, at one convention they asked a dealer if they could tape a trick. He said OK. He ended up as a feature on that night's news. Unfortunately the camera was down behind the table when the trick was performed. I guess the city loved it that night to see the things palmed in the performers hands.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 16:59, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Sorry guy, I don't read Red Book, Cosmo, Vanity Fair or GQ.

How about the National Enquirer? If you haven’t checked it out yet you should, that’s were I get all my news.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27243 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 05:36, kihei kid wrote:
Quote:

How about the National Enquirer? If you haven’t checked it out yet you should, that’s were I get all my news.

I don't know about news, but it's a great place for inspiring presentations for magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:

Not true, Whit! You're still hip in my book. Smile

It's VERY hip to be square. Be yourself. Be confident. That's hip. You don't need to be "hip" to be hip, if you know what I mean. Actually, the less hip you are, the better. That's really hip. Know what I mean??? Might have lost the hipsters on that one. Smile I agree with pkg's sentiment. Smile And Bill, you are WAY cool, man! Smile
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
I doube that the best writers are writing for Copperfield. A lot of his humor contrasts with his character. Most of his humor seems to have been written by 12 year old boys.

Copperfield bores me. He's not cool.

You know who's cool?

Carlito. That's who.
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 20:17, Joe Russell wrote:
If you have ever been to a Copperfield show you would know that he is the very definition of cool and this is coming from a teenager, of coarse it is all scripted and written by the best writers out their so its all an act, and from what I hear David is a very shy individual in person. Never the less Copperfields the man!!!!!!! at least when he performs

Posted: Oct 16, 2005 6:05pm
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 08:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-10-15 05:36, kihei kid wrote:
Quote:

I don't know about news, but it's a great place for inspiring presentations for magic.

Such as? Give us an example of an inspiring presentation you came up with out of National Enquirer.
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
I don’t know if this is a cultural thing or not but David Blaine would be considered to be a bit of an idiot in Britain and Ireland – Cool??? – did any of you see what happened to him when he spent 40 days in a glass box over here - nobody, but nobody thought that this was cool!

The coolest 'magician' around these day is Darren Brown and he wouldn't see himself as cool at all.
Alex
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Carlito is cooooool. Hey, when is their going to be a magician pro wrestler?
Who is Tattoo Joe?
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Georgous George did magic. I've met Harley Race and he does magic, quite well. There are a few out there, you'd be surprised.
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
There is no success like failure and failure is no success at all...
Al
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of glatner
Also, what's cool for us might be lame for the lay men (i.e. None of my "muggle" friends have any idea who Dai Vernon is), However some of them sill know who Sigfreid and Roy are. (Although that may have to do more with the tiger mauling, then the magic).

Gabe
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Miles Davis invented Cool in the early 50s, sound was quiet and understated.
A style that describes few magicians.

http://www.milesdavis.com/home.htm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
And Dizzy Gillespie perfected cool.

http://dizzygillespie.org/

Be-bop rules! Oobopshebam!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 23:03, tommy wrote:
Miles Davis invented Cool in the early 50s, sound was quiet and understated.
A style that describes few magicians.

Wow. What a reality check. Thanks, Tommy.

Its true...listen to any recording done by the Miles Davis Quintet. If your magic makes the audience feel like Freddy the Freeloader, All Blues, or So What, then you have a keeper! Now that's cool. I guess today's culture doesn't remember where the term became so mainstream...or bohemian?
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Do I smell a conversation turning to the topic of jazz?

While Dizzy was certainly cool, he did not play Cool Jazz.

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/history.aspx?hid=21

I'm not sure Blaine would qualify as "cool" in the jazz sense. Maybe hard bop?

Now you've got me wondering who would be the Sun Ra of magic.....

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Oobopshebam! Cool word for magic. Thanks Lee.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 15:32, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Robert-Houdin and later on Charles Bertram moved magic from story to ordinary. Mark Wilson did the Pat Boone thing, Doug Henning, David Copperfield, David Blaine and now Cris Angel have brought contemporary sensibilities to magic. Angel is a very tame cross between Trent Reznor's (NIN) and Marilyn Manson's recent images.

One could take the theme as "wizard steps out of story book to visit our world in disguise as one of us", and go Randolph Carter (Lovecraft) from there. Smile

I grew up with Mark Wilson, but I never made the association between him and Pat Boone...I'm still lost as to your meaning. Could you elucidate?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
However some of them sill know who Sigfreid and Roy are.

Poor Siegfried. Siegfried. Siegfried. SIEGFRIED. S-I-E-G-F-R-I-E-D Smile

That's Siegfried, Siegfried "When we first came to America, people couldn't say Siegfried, now some of them even spell it right" Fischbacher. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Blaine the only cool magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL