The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorising numbers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I need to memorise these 16 numbers. I won't say why for fear of exposer but I'm sure most of you know why...

11 14 5 A
4 B 10 15
C 7 12 9
13 8 D 6

I can't for the life of me do it! I've tried the memory technique on Scott Cram's site and I can't remember the *** numbers!

I usually a crib when performing but last night a tech threw it out five minutes before the show!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I've PM'd you.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Nicholas -

There are other patterns that will serve the same purpose and that are easier to memorize. The one I use makes symmetrical figures with each successive set of four numbers. Look for patterns. Works for me and, like you, I'd forget my name if it wasn't tatooed on me.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Nicholas,

I don’t know the effect to which this pertains and therefore maybe the following is of no use (e.g. you may have to know which number is in which position).

However, assuming one is familiar with the common mnemonic system: 1 – t; 2 – n; 3 – m; 4 – r, etc., then one could make up a ‘story’ such as shown below. (The CAPITAL letters represent the numbers, e.g. TOT is the mnemonic equivalent of ‘11’)

11 14 5 A
A TOT began to cry some TEARS because they couldn’t reach the ALE! [Followed by ‘A’ - the position of which you would have to memorize].

4 B 10 15
An ARROW [Followed by ‘B’] would be TOSSed at a TILL.

C 7 12 9
[Remember ‘C’] Turn a KEY in a TIN and let the BEE out.

13 8 D 6
TOM and IVY [Followed by ‘D’] both wore new SHOEs
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I just simply remembered them as whole numbers

the letter sequence is no where near as hard to learn.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I feel like a moron.

I just can't get it.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Yes, but was what I PM'd you effective?
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
116 Posts

Profile of Basil
Don't feel like a moron. Everybody’s brain work a little differently. For instance, I have a hard remembering phone numbers. I find it easier to remember the patterns the numbers make on the keypad, if you know what I mean.

It would be a little work, but you could try to create a phrase of words that sound close to the numbers in the sequence. 11 14 could equal ‘heaven for teens’. With some work, you could construct a phrase that makes a degree of sense.

When I was a kid, I learned a deck stack called ‘The Hungry Jackass” that uses such a phrase to describe the order of the cards, and I had no problem memorizing it.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Turn it into a song. Most people can remember things better that way.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Itay
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Itay
Hey Nicholas

May I suggest a different approach-

Pure repetition - Focus on remembering one row at a time.

Just repeat the numbers in the first row for yourself again and again
until you know them by heart.

Then do the same with the second row.

Then recite the first and second rows combined.

Continue to add a single row at a time until you know them all.

Hope it helps,

Itay
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
I remember the locations of the numbers IN ORDER rather than by row. Does this make sense? Here's the pattern I use:

9 6 3 16
4 15 10 5
14 1 8 11
7 12 13 2

I learned this pattern in blocks of four numbers. First, remember where (1) is and work counter-clockwise to 2, 3, and 4.

Then "slide" from 4 over to 5 and continue counter-clockwise to 6, 7, and 8.

Up to the corner for 9 then clockwise to 10, 11, and 12.

Slide one square to the right for 13 and continue clockwise for 14, 14, and 16.

I hope its clear that this square will accomplish the same feat as yours.

- Greg Owen
gobeatty@yahoo.com
TruthML
View Profile
New user
OKC, Ok
8 Posts

Profile of TruthML
I'm a totally visual person so here's my take on it:

I imagine a room with 4 doors…

Behind the first door I see a football player trying to stuff a GOAL POST (11) through a 14kt GOLD RING (14). He’s wearing a huge oversized GLOVE (5) with an “A” stitched on it.

Behind the second door there’s a CLOWN CAR (4 wheels) balancing on a GIANT LETTER “B”. I walk over and knock it off with a BOWLING PIN (10 pins). The car falls off and lands on your PAYCHECK (15).

Behind the third door I picture Michael Jackson holding the letter “C”.... There’s a RABBIT FOOT (7) hanging from it, and he’s using it to beat EGGS (12) so he can feed his waiting CAT (9).

Behind the 4th door I see a WITCH (13) riding an OCTIPUS (8) they’re floating in a “D” shaped pool and surrounded by ANTS (6) cheering them on.

Darn now I'LL never forget them Smile.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Truth ML

I think that might be the method for me. I too am very visual. He is the one I wrote. I made sure that each number or letter leads onto the next one otherwise I might muck up the order!

A loaf of LEAVEN (11) bread falls from the sky and is eaten by FOUR TEENS (14) who put HONEY (hive-five) on it. The empty plate has a large A on it.

There is a DOOR (4) in the plate and a BEE (B) who looks like ANDY WARHOL (15 minutes of fame) flies out knocking everyone over like BOWLING PINS. (10)

They all tumble back into the SEA (C) and drown. They go to HEAVEN (7) where god is eating EGGS (12) and drinking WINE (9)

However, one of the teens is a WITCH (13) and so is thrown through the GATE (8) which makes god SMILE (: D). Finally…..the whole scene makes everyone is SICK (6)

If I great a visual image rather then a string of words its sticks better. I'll practice every day and get back to you in a week!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Mike Baxter's approach is applied basic mnemonics. It's called the phonetic alphabet. His explanation is very brief; you need a good menmonics textbook. Once you learn the phonetic alphabet and the peg and link systems of memory, you will be able to recall numbers easily the rest of your life.

My recommendation is to go to amazon.com and buy a copy of Harry Lorayne's Secrets of a Super Power Memory. It's the "best buy" in the mnemonics field. They have some used copies for as little as $2.50, and a brand new paper back is way under ten bucks. It may be the best money you're ever spent. I got it way back in 1959 and used it throughtout High School and college. In fact, I wouldn't have my college degree, I'm sure, if I hadn't learned mnemonics.

I'm at a loss as to why schools don't teach basic mnemonics as the approach to learn all of those dates and names in History, all of the facts in science classes, the names of the characters in great works of literature, etc. It's actually fun when you get into it and you will amaze yourself with what you'll be able to remember if you just do some systematic use of the mnemonic systems.

Denny Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
TruthML
View Profile
New user
OKC, Ok
8 Posts

Profile of TruthML
Nicholas,

Glad I could help out....good luck! Since I can't forget 16 numbers/letters, can you PM me name of the effect? I probably already have it some where gathering dust.

Thanks

Truth
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"My recommendation is to go to amazon.com and buy a copy of Harry Lorayne's Secrets of a Super Power Memory."

Or just bookmark this link:

http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/mnemo/lorayn/contents.html

- Greg Owen
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Denny, I agree, I don't understand why schools don't teach mnemonics. My fiancée is a biology and anatomy teacher and tries to teach her kids memory pegs. They have a hard time realizing the benefit. She did the memory demonstration from Corinda for all her classes and taught her students the mnemonic words for numbers 1-20. Out of all her students, only one actually tried to learn the peg words. The others claimed it was too hard...

It's a sad state of affairs. If kids today think learning 20 pegs words is too hard, then I predict mentalists will be a dying breed in the 21st Century!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Fred,
I could not agree more. I initially started memorizing 20 or 30 or 40 things as a display of memory. Now I do an effect where my assistant and girlfriend selects 20 people to each tell her one object or telephone number or whatever or if there are less people to see the effect then write it on paper while I am out of the room. I then return and read there minds. All she has to do is "magically' or secretly tell me which person is associated with which number. It is insane that students do not get taught studying and memory techniques when they are in school. I mean what is school for then?
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Fred and abc,
Yes, yes, yes. I was exposed to only a few simple mnemonic devices in early childhood. My piano teacher taught me that: "Every Good Boy deserves fudge." And, someone pointed out that you can remember the Great Lakes by thinking of: "HOMES."

But no teacher, friend, or parent ever suggested that there was an organized, systematic approach to remembering most anything. As a sophomore in High School, I loved math and science and was in the local library reading the current Scientific American magazine. (I always turned to Martin Gardner's Col. first!) And I ran across this word: mnemonics. I didn't know what it was so I looked it up. Then I discovered that the library had a couple of Harry Lorayne's books. And I was hooked. I was suddenly organizing links and pegs for all of those dates in US History, all those equations in Physics, chemical valences, characters in literature, etc.

Before that, I was advised to "study." Which meant reading the text book, taking some notes on "Important" stuff, and using brute force to try to cram it all into my head. While that works, it takes far longer and is hard. Mnemonics is easy and fun.

Denny Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Actually, the word picture linking method is a very useful and viable method of memorizing, as well. It's not a "system," as the pictures may well be different every time, but it works. In my Cognitive Science class I took, we had a section on memorization that was very interesting. The peg system is good, and the making up a visual "story" is even better, iirc.

Also, memory is strongly linked to emotional state: if you study in a relaxed environment, while drinking some beer, listening to music, then you take a test while completely sober, nervous and anxious, and with no music, well, you won't remember as much as you would otherwise. If you study in a similar environment as the test will be, you'll remember more during the test.

Applying that to this situation, when doing your memorization and reviewing of the numbers, simulate your performing environment and atmosphere as best you can. That way, the memory will be more strongly linked and more accessible *during* performance.

Hope this helps some. Good luck. Er, break a leg. Whatever. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorising numbers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL