We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 09:33, sjdavison wrote:
Amen to Mr Osterlind's last post, which seems to have been moved. Unfortunately Mr Osterlind, there are far too many where he came from, and always will be!

Appletruth, if you have a difference of opinion, then at least express it cohererently, respectfully, and maturely, and be willing to accept views that may differ from your own.

Simon

Simon,

No, I deleted it myself as I felt it was a bit too harsh. I hate being patronized while getting a knife in my back and I am trying to figure out if that is what is happening here or if I am just having a problem with a language barrier? What I do know for sure is if I was a brand new member on a forum, I think I would be a little more careful with my words!

Richard
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of these DVDs. Richard, I ordered them from your site - any idea on shipping time to the UK?! Very excited about this, an early Christmas present!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-09 10:41, sjdavison wrote:
I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of these DVDs. Richard, I ordered them from your site - any idea on shipping time to the UK?! Very excited about this, an early Christmas present!

Simon

Simon,

Please send me a PM with your order information and address and I will check on when your order was sent out immediately.

Richard
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Funny how much stuff I miss when I watch the DVDs for the first or second time. I'll read a post here and go back and watch and see what I missed. All the little nuances that combine to make the effect strong.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Candini,

That is precisely why I am trying to stay on target with this thread so as to talk about all those litte nuances and why I did the things I did. (for better or worse) Please don't hesitate to ask about anything!

Richard
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2600 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Can't wait to get this set

Bev
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
I think (my opinion) that Richard has realized that his persona on stage is that of an ordinary mortal with some extraordinary things that happen to him regularly -- and sharing them. Open and human, unlike most magicians with a "look at me-- every trick a perfection" attitude.

There is no sloppiness -- remembering a name is NOT the point of the effect -- but the revelation of the information as a focused mind to mind experience thought is.

When you think, do you preface your thoughts with "I (your name here) think xxxx ". If you did, then a mentalist would get your name every time.

A good mentalist must think well beyond "magical" presentation and even forget the baloney about the "too perfect" theory. He must think, IMHO, in terms of human perception accepting the effect as something real and the presenter as developing a talent or inate skill in the realm of mind reading -- or precognition -- etc. -- which are. when demonstrated in real life, subject to clarification and interpretation.

Note the subtleties in Richard's way of revealing a relative's name -- "if you had a picture here -- and you showed it to me, as I looked at he little girl would you be saying 'this is a picture of my niece Alice'". (Or words to that effect.

The impression he is receiving a picture rather than a written name -- and only hearing a spoken name in his head removes the heat from the written part -- AND with pauses and presentation seems to flow to the mind from a mind and not become a revelation of a rabbit out of a hat.

This keeps Richard's persona likeable, human, and to an audience, revealing of a mysterious process of the mind -- accurate when it counts, and able to clarify when needed.

It's that ***ed likeable side I cannot come up with -- I wanna work dark!

GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I think the Man and HIS material is of great worth that's all. I mean just the fact that this has become a 9 page thread should tell you that. People will always criticize that's all.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Chmara, some good thoughts here:

When you think, do you preface your thoughts with "I (your name here) think xxxx ". If you did, then a mentalist would get your name every time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try to open my strolling with a warm up called Animental. It is a simple four card display of animals. I approach them with "I am trying to get you to think in colors and see who I can focus with."

I then go into other things but always use a PCT or other type billet. Lately, Ive run into a few skeptics which I gather happens to many of us. Not that the focus is on the writing but what happens to the billet after the writing is completed. Very seldom with the PCT does anyone say anything but when they do, I assume it is a guess (he must have or is reading it). With a CT or any s****h,
perhaps eyes will be on it or what you are doing with it.

Sorry a bit off topic here but been battling with billet demons for a while now.
ScottJ
View Profile
Regular user
Hertfordshire, England.
143 Posts

Profile of ScottJ
Has anybody from the UK ordered these, received them, and NOT been stung by customs?

Scott.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Richard,

Seriously, I was thinking after I just completed my gig tonight. I know you have had too many experiences for most of us to remember.

Wait a minute, Im getting a date here....possibly Im getting better at this stuff....Im getting a year, the year is 1948, does this mean anything to anyone on the thread?

ANyways, sorry but I was thinking if you ever got the urge to put out some of your experiences with hecklers, effects gone bad etc? Like a bloopers type book etc?
Out of all the books I ever read, not much ever goes into this. I know I could write a book tonight and sometimes I like to see what seasoned pros have been through. Sometimes its not a case of spectator management, bad handling etc etc.

Just tonight I had one male demand to see the deck. I did a switch (to BCS) which I performed for another male and I could hear the wiseguy talking to his buddy the whole time. Afterwards, I left a card on the table and he was examining the back for marks. The deck I was using previously was gimmicked but I wasnt even doing the effect for the wiseguy.

Sorry for venting but I guess we can't control everyone.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 23:38, Candini wrote:

Wait a minute, Im getting a date here....possibly Im getting better at this stuff....Im getting a year, the year is 1948, does this mean anything to anyone on the thread?

As a matter of fact, I just finished catalouging the first 33 pages of 1948's *Popeye* #1 (Dell publication) about 30 minutes ago. How did you know that?

Quote:
Unable to stop, Candini continued writing:

ANyways, sorry but I was thinking if you ever got the urge to put out some of your experiences with hecklers, effects gone bad etc?

Now there's a helpful suggestion. Richard showed some marvelous audience control on the first MM DVDs, and there might just be a market for teaching us rookies how to deal with hecklers. Michael Close addresses this problem (and has some suggestions) while interviewed by Michael Ammar on his *Ultimate Workers* Volume 3 DVD.

Such a project would be best *explained* in text; but it would be most helpful to see it in action. Now, how does ensure one has a heckler during filming?

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice take Chet......1948.....hmmmmmmm I'm getting some more visions also, don't think you are the only one here..........

I would gather someone who has done thousands of shows instead of hundreds or even double digits, would have to think back and wonder why just one or two knuckleheads would get under mine (our) skin. To me anyways, its not really about money so much as touching someone on a personal level. So far, during all of my adult shows, I left one person affected. I will even stay overtime where I work without getting paid if I have people still requesting some action (tables).

I understand Richard's feelings in his last book about lying etc. I feel bad and good when someone comes up to me and asks me what special gifts I have. I basically tell them what Richard does, about Im an entertainer, Im glad I performed well for you, no special gifts blah blah blah and then wonder if anyone in the audience is thinking the same thing. Its good to also hear, you are good and nice trick but they seem not to have the same meaning.

Way off track here, just its late and after gigs its hard to wind down.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

I shouldn't be up at this late hour. I have a flight to catch tomorrow (today) and need to get to sleep.

Goodnight gentlemen.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6502 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Have a nice night, Richard. I just had a weird vision of you sleeping in a stainless steel sleeping mask... it must be late.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
You three are responsible for the recycled soda on my computer screen.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
Back to serious discussion while Richard is away.

The strength of this material is in what the spectator participant perceives you have caught as it radiates from his mind. The further you can take the material from a direct readback revelation (unless you have written it down FOR that revelation) the more human and impossile it seams. If the audience gets the feeling they are "leaking" thoughts from their brains -- what an impact.

I love the subtleties - such as the line below revelation one on the chalk board -- and the cents sign sticking out of space 2..... I wonder if their is a stronger way to get to the 3rd position force -- just as I see the strong way Richard has come up with his. The use of his method with the weakest revelation first --- priceless. Knoiwing how long it to Richard to come up with and perfect -- I think it is going to be a long but hopefully not fruitless search to find a force that would work better for me........(maybe a geometric draw).

I have to agree, Richard did look somewhat tired on parts of the presentatins -- and now we know why. It is amazing to me that with all that pressure and tired feeling that the material is still very strong and delightful.

One question -- how did you deal with audience fatigue? Sitting through 80 pieces of material, while not as wearying as performing, could bring a cloud of inattention to the group -- as well as calouses on the buns.

And that brings me to pacing -- during audience member actions -- filling out cards etc. This is one difference between "filll every moment with action magic" and mentalism I continually question. As we stand in front -- and make a few comments while the paperwork is filled out -- how does the silence affect the pace? Fast writers waiting for people who write slowly become board?

Kreskin, when I last saw him, moved about the audience constantly chattering to pass billets and then collect them in the envelopes and seal them for the audience to hold -- allowing the slow writers to seal and sit on the billets they were working on while he moved back to the stage......

As he "gathered his thoughts" on his clipboard he walked three audience members through some card mentalism tricks -- with a few short pauses as he scribbled furiously...and directed applause to the volunteers who ready each other's minds or dealt perfect hands.....etc/

His Answers to questions then followed at a rapid pace -- jumping focus to various audience spots -- quickly passing the misses -- and focusing on detail on the hits.

Then-- in conclusion -- out to the audience again to find his check with Hellstronism.

This-- almost magicianlike - kept the audience engaged without pause.

How would you (or particularly Richard Osterlind) program the huge series of effects now at out disposal on the DVDs into a solid act without gaps and awkward moments of silence????
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6502 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I think one thing that's best to learn from Richard's DVDs is how he takes old ideas and gives them a twist here and there. How he can take something from Corinda or Annemann and breath life into it.
How many times on these boards do we see, "what's the latest book or effect out there?" when we should be following Richard's lead and thinking, "let me look into that old, classic stuff and see what treasures I can find inside."
Richard should inspire all of you to constantly read and then reread 13 Steps, Annemann and Tarbell... that is the source of many of the true secrets of magic & mentalism.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 11:42, Candini wrote:
Funny how much stuff I miss when I watch the DVDs for the first or second time. I'll read a post here and go back and watch and see what I missed. All the little nuances that combine to make the effect strong.

Quote:
On 2005-11-09 12:28, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Candini,

That is precisely why I am trying to stay on target with this thread so as to talk about all those litte nuances and why I did the things I did. (for better or worse) Please don't hesitate to ask about anything!

Richard

I just love the original Mind Mysteries series. I am amazed at the little bits of nuance I keep picking up each time I watch them. It is a big mistake to just watch them once and then try to learn the effects being revealed. Look at the audience management, the blocking, the recovery from unexpected audience responses, the clear and precise audience instructions, etc. There is just so much to these DVDs. I look forward to obtaining volumes 5, 6 and 7.

Thank you Richard for being so willing to share and for your patience with all of the Café members--including those who try your patience and disrespect you with every post. Your love of the craft and willingness to slough off the slings and arrows speaks volumes about your professionalism and you as a person.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Just ordered these (twice! oops), really excited! Dynamic Mysteries is one of my all time favourite magic books, and so it will be great to see some of these effects come to life (albeit in a selfish way I'm more sad, as so many more people will have their hands on these classics!!)

I'll be waiting by the letter box for these......

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL