The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Just watched my Vol. 1, good stuff with Penomenallly (fooled me Richard Smile )and The Very Modern Mindreader. Will look forward to the second and third when I pick em' up.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2928 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I see that ODDS is included in the set. I’m curious. Do we get to examples of how Richard Osterlind draws the images? If so, how many images?

Thanks,

Elliott
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 22:19, ElliottB wrote:
I see that ODDS is included in the set. I’m curious. Do we get to examples of how Richard Osterlind draws the images? If so, how many images?

Thanks,

Elliott

Yes, I do the complete routine. I only draw the one picture that was chosen at the show. I do not give examples of images for the same reason I did not give any in the book. You must go with you own feelings! After spending my life doing this kind of work all I will tell you is that there IS something to picking up feelings from a spectator. Whether you want to call it some type of telepathy or just an understanding of personalities from clothing, speech, etc., you have to learn how to "read" people and thier personalities. You also have to take into account how long a person takes to draw the picture, their posture and so many other things. These points come across as "feelings" and you must learn them yourself.

Richard
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
293 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
And of course, Richard, we see another example during the explanation section with Jim Sisti.

The image chosen in the show was the rollerskate, and the image used in the explanation section was the violin. Both examples demonstrated how well the ODDS works.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 09:33, Daniel Lander wrote:

Both examples demonstrated how well the ODDS works.

And at least one demonstrated how I apparently haven't any ability to draw a violin...
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2928 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:

Yes, I do the complete routine. I only draw the one picture that was chosen at the show. I do not give examples of images for the same reason I did not give any in the book. You must go with you own feelings! After spending my life doing this kind of work all I will tell you is that there IS something to picking up feelings from a spectator. Whether you want to call it some type of telepathy or just an understanding of personalities from clothing, speech, etc., you have to learn how to "read" people and thier personalities. You also have to take into account how long a person takes to draw the picture, their posture and so many other things. These points come across as "feelings" and you must learn them yourself.

Richard

I understand. I suppose I do tend to look for shortcuts.

Thanks for responding so quickly,

Elliott
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Elliott,

Here is one more tip that I didn't give anywhere else. If you are unsure of what the picture might be and you have 2 ways to go, no problem. Make your first drawing and then change your mind and make a second. You show both but then use the one that comes closest. Either say your glad you changed your mind or else that you should have just stuck with your first. Again, all this comes from the original idea of the laboratory tests. From what I understand, Geller was allowed multiple trys for each target.

Richard
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2928 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you for that idea. I’m very certain that it will come in handy.

Thanks again,

Elliott
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't. As Richard explains in MM1, this seems to make it more real to the audience. (That discussion between Jim & Richard is something I go back and study frequently.)

It probably deserves its own thread, and I may start one or search to see if a similar thread exists. The best explanation (for why it seems more real) is that the audience must be thinking (even if unconsciously) "If this were just a trick, he'd be right 100% of the time." When, for instance, I thought a woman's deceased uncle was named "something like Jake" and it turned out to be Jack, she was certain that I couldn't have picked it up from a PCT.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Couldn't agree with you more Chet, I always make sure I miss on a regular basis (well not too much, or else I won't get anymore bookings!) It does seem to make things a little more real to the spectators. By the way, finally received my MMTOO/Final Answer combo today in the mail...From what I've seen so far, it's stellar!!! Kudos to you Richard!

Best,
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 20:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't.
*jeep!
--Chet

I I believe it is in the PCT booklet where Richard calls this "fishing with a whale on the line". Even if you miss, you've got such a huge revelation coming that you can afford to go for broke.

Cheers!

Brandon
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Richard,

Have you ever heard of any persons in the L n L audience purchasing your series and discovering how effects were done?

PS: Maybe Im the only one who comes up with this stuff:)

Candini
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-14 00:44, Candini wrote:
Richard,

Have you ever heard of any persons in the L n L audience purchasing your series and discovering how effects were done?

PS: Maybe Im the only one who comes up with this stuff:)

Candini

Candini,

Not only has that never happened to me (well, not counting the magicians in the back, of course) but I have never, since I put out the original Mind Mysteries, had ANYONE at any show or elsewhere tell me they bought my videos to find out how the stuff was done.

The only people who will invest the money and time to get the materials are real magicians who honestly want to learn magic!

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-14 00:21, B&B Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 20:17, mormonyoyoman wrote:
This brings up something which I added to my act: Richard's recommendation to "go for broke" sometimes. I tell people up front that my success rate is only in the eighties or high seventies, and that I might fail. Then, from time to time, I make leaps in logic (i.e. - Darned Good Guesses) which sometimes hit and sometimes don't.
*jeep!
--Chet

I I believe it is in the PCT booklet where Richard calls this "fishing with a whale on the line". Even if you miss, you've got such a huge revelation coming that you can afford to go for broke.

Cheers!

Brandon

Brandon,

That's right! And sometimes, if you are lucky, you will wind up with an even bigger whale!

Richard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
There are numerous outstanding routines performed and explained by Mr. Osterlind on his new DVD set. The In the Fold effect is a terrific, yet relatively simple method of using NW inside a folded paper without the use of any special gimmicked wallet. The folded card is clearly and openly held in the hand and is openly given to the spectator to open to reveal that the number/information contained within the folded paper is the same number/information thought of by the spectator.

Just when you thought that there was no more to be learned on bending spoons or forks, Mr. Osterlind shows a wonderful method of bending a spoon on your open palm as well as a magnficent trio-fork bending effect that looks like flowers wilting in the fingertips of the performer.

Several effects demonstrated and explained by Mr. Osterlind are marketed by Mr. Osterlind including his PK pen effect and Design Duplication which are all worth obtaining. A truly outstanding effect is Mr. Osterlind's Question and Answer routine. It is super easy, straight forward and truly enteraining. This Q&A act is a complete act in of itself and is certainly worth purchasing.

Several months ago, prior to the release of his new DVD set, I purchased Mr. Osterlind's Ultra Board. In all honesty, I was hesitant to use it since I was used to and comfortable with using another type of no-force Mental Epic board that I have been using for a long time. However, after watching Mr. Osterlind demonstrate the Ultra Board in DVD# 5 of his new DVD set, I was impressed with how easy the Ultra Board was to use and its effectiveness and impact on the audience. Being able to use the Ultra Board for other effects and then to use this ungimmicked board for the mental epic routine is very strong and convenient and deceptive. In fact, I was so impressed with Mr. Osterlind's handling and use of the Ultra Board that today I ordered a second Ultra Board and will be retireing my gimmicked Mental Epic Board.

I truly enjoyed wathicng and learning from Mind Mysteries Too. Mr. Osterlind is a true master performer and teacher.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Michael,

Thank you for that wonderful review!

Let's see now. Since you wanted a second Ultra Board for a backup, perhaps you should order backups for all our other props! Just Kidding!!! Smile

Thank you again for your kind words. Make sure you look up the additional hints for the Final Answer on our website.

Richard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Mr. Osterlind,

Actually, I also ordered a backup Q&A (the first one I ordered it was at the reduced rate when I ordered the DVD set from your site) and extra slips as well as TWO extra PK pens and another pack of NWs. Sorry, I only have one of your Thought Scanners, which is another terrific item. I am going to need a new briefcase just for the backups. But at least I know if and when you ever stopped marketing these items, I will be assured of having the best professional mentalism routines available for the next several decades.

I will look up the additional hints for the Final Answer.

It was my pleasrure to write this honest review and even more so to wtch adn learn from your videos and your ease of style of performing. I only hoped that you would have revealed your bent penny routine from the bonus footage from your first DVD set.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-14 13:45, magicinsight wrote:
Mr. Osterlind,

Actually, I also ordered a backup Q&A (the first one I ordered it was at the reduced rate when I ordered the DVD set from your site) and extra slips as well as TWO extra PK pens and another pack of NWs. Sorry, I only have one of your Thought Scanners, which is another terrific item. I am going to need a new briefcase just for the backups. But at least I know if and when you ever stopped marketing these items, I will be assured of having the best professional mentalism routines available for the next several decades.

I will look up the additional hints for the Final Answer.

It was my pleasrure to write this honest review and even more so to wtch adn learn from your videos and your ease of style of performing. I only hoped that you would have revealed your bent penny routine from the bonus footage from your first DVD set.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael,

I was kidding about ordering all the backups. I had no idea that you had!

Thanks,
Richard
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3725 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
Michael,

I was kidding about ordering all the backups. I had no idea that you had!

Thanks,
Richard

Mr. Osterlind,

Neither does my wife.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Since the Ultra Board was just mentioned, I probably should just let you all know the circumstances concerning the manufacture of that and the Thoughtscan boards. After many years I found a plant here in Kentucky that agreed to make these for me. Anyone who has ordered them knows the quality. They are a large outfit doing huge jobs. I always try to reorder when our supplies get low. As you probably know, this has been a bad year for people getting sick. They had 3 of their main people out and fell behind on all their orders. We had been waiting for almost 3 weeks to get more of the Thoughtscan boards in. They finally arrived yesterday and all back orders were shipped out immediately. The Ultra Boards will be ready this week and the couple backordered will go out right away. Thanks for all your patience!

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL