We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
Sooty
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
140 Posts

Profile of Sooty
I've been using Richard's Digital Feedback for a couple of years now and it's a shame it's being put on wider release as not many performers I know use it currently.....but that's just me being selfish.

I'm interested to see what changes Richard has made as the original works just fine.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Could anybody be so kind and create a review please?
Greetz
Rick
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Quote:
Unsure what you meant by this. Perhaps it was my comment about the haunted key. Let me rephrase it. By spin, I meant Richard's take. Forgive my words. I won't say anymore but it was how he presented it I liked.

Candini,

Yes, I was only trying to say that when you said you liked Richard's "spin" on the Haunted Key, I thought was a funny (and, I'm guessing, unintentional) double-entendre!

--Josh
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Just put my order in for the MMToo/Final Answer combo deal from Richard's site, and man it's gonna be hard to sleep until I get those into my greedy little hands...Living in Canada, I sure hope they arrive quickly? "Hey Brian you're looking a little ill, are you feeling ok?" "Yes, I'm fine, I just haven't slept in days- waiting for my Osterlind videos to arrive" Smile

Have a great day folks,
Brian
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Just a little thought while reading the posts here:

I recommend to everybody Darvin Ortiz´s essay: "Next-book syndrom"....;-)
In my eyes it should be mandatory reading for every magician.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I was glad to hear that Richard was going to be shipping Monday.
Richard, congratulations on an overwhelming presale.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Candini,

Yes, I was only trying to say that when you said you liked Richard's "spin" on the Haunted Key, I thought was a funny (and, I'm guessing, unintentional) double-entendre!

--Josh
--------------------------------------------------------------

Josh,

Now I get it, sorry:( As you can see by the times of my ravings here, I miss too many hours of sleep.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 19:05, calexa wrote:

Magixx

Oh yes... I stopped buying every new effect and book that was out there because I realized that the people who create the dvds learned from sources and books which are classics and almost everybody got them.
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Can't wait for these DVDs!!
I really enjoyed the previous 8 DVDs!!
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 05:17, RickDangerous wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 19:05, calexa wrote:

Magixx

Oh yes... I stopped buying every new effect and book that was out there because I realized that the people who create the dvds learned from sources and books which are classics and almost everybody got them.

Of course, almost all magic is derivitory. The idea is to create effects that move forward enough to merit recording in a book or video. This can be through presentation or expansion of method. If this weren't so, we would still be learning from "The Discovery of Witchcraft."

Richard
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:

Of course, almost all magic is derivitory. The idea is to create effects that move forward enough to merit recording in a book or video. This can be through presentation or expansion of method. If this weren't so, we would still be learning from "The Discovery of Witchcraft."

Richard

Sure, I agree. But it's important to really sort out what you buy and not let your own creativity die.
Kind regards
Rick
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Rick,

And there you have hit upon a very, very important point. I think what I look for in a new magic book or video series is more about what the artist does with the ideas than the routines themselves. I try to understand how the performer "thinks" and why he does this or that. Sure, if the routine is good, I will work on it and then see if I can personalize it for my own use. This is what I would hope others would do with my material. Sure, what I say and how I do things is what is good for me, but I want people to watch these routines and say, "I really like that idea. I can do say this instead and maybe use this sleight instead of the one Osterlind uses and it will be perfect for me." You might even think about changing the effect itself or the props. And finally, you might see something that solves a problem with another routine entirely. I am hoping that once everyone who orders these videos gets them, they will not hesitate to ask questions about the material so that we can all have some valuable discussions.

I would like to add that it would be fun to talk about the situations that arose during the filming of MM2 and some of the circumstances of the shoot.

Richard
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
Richard

I'm definitely looking forward to reading about the situtations which arose during the filming and some of the circumstances.

The more I can learn about the other aspects of performing (audience management, recording, sound and lightning, etc.), the more comfortable I'll be with my performance.

And I'm convinced that I also will have a good laugh. So, please Richard, tell us Smile .

Sincerely, Matt
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Hi Richard;

After reviewing these excellent DVD's, one question haunts me.
Who exactly is Mr Holmes???
:)

Best-
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 09:35, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I would like to add that it would be fun to talk about the situations that arose during the filming of MM2 and some of the circumstances of the shoot.

Richard

Then let's do it! Smile
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
969 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
By the way... guess it's the same good old L&L audience as in every video Smile (from Banachek to Osterlind to Sankey to Daryl)
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
bodin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of bodin
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 15:44, RickDangerous wrote:
By the way... guess it's the same good old L&L audience as in every video Smile (from Banachek to Osterlind to Sankey to Daryl)

Gotta love that hockey-hair John-guy.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Richard,

I was only responding to some of the post here that read like. "I buy everything from xxx, without looking at the ads". In my opinion this is the most stupid thing someone can do (and it happens not only in the magic world, but also in the real world). I think the most valuable thing people can do is look at think from a distant point and make a judgement based on their impressions. Those guys, who "buy without thinking" don´t have any impressions. And that is a pity.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
For me - at least - there is a problem with Richard's DVDs. His persona and presentation are so strong and so viable that I have to watch them -- then put them away for a while before I go back to specific effects that I want to work with.

If I do not do this -- I find myself not only emulating this master craftsman but prone to steal lines, moves,dress and begin to mimick Richard rather than developing my own takes on the material. While it would be a help in making money faster by stealing whole hog (something I am sure is NEVER done by honorable magicians lol) I feel that I do not want to be a clone of any sucessful performer -- and that presents a conundrum.

Richard is successful and polished and a great teacher. In many crafts emulating the great teacher is a very basic step -- but to get in lockstep is not my style. Therefore -- on DVDs - View once, make notes. Put them away for a while (I usually need a week or two to get over Richard's powers.) Then use your notes to view the one or two pieces you want to work with and jog ONLY to them, work them until you have them in your own style.

So, in my opinion -- I remain defenseless in view of great performers. This is the only way I can do things -- without dreaming that I am Richard Osterlind's peer because I work his material in the same way he teaches on the DVDs.

And for me to directly steal the material -- I would have to turn my act into a comedy of errors or a performance tragedy.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think the reason Richard is so good is that he is so natural. People tend to believe what he is doing is real.
Its not like he is a performer playing a mentalist. He is a mentalist playing himself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL