The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Nice,

If you could only order one of the DVD's ( cash restraints ) which one would it be ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I think there's no way you cannot go for all three.

A bargain being in the UK - with the deal Mr OSterlind is putting out, and the conversion rate (bless you!) all three columes comes out around £65. In England, one magic DVD normally is around £30. Fantastic!

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Can I ask ( So I can ask Father Christmas ! ) who in the UK sells these?

Regards,

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
If you guys who have the DVD could order only one...which volume would it be?

Mark
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 00:23, Candini wrote:

I understand Richard's feelings in his last book about lying etc. I feel bad and good when someone comes up to me and asks me what special gifts I have. I basically tell them what Richard does, about Im an entertainer, Im glad I performed well for you, no special gifts blah blah blah and then wonder if anyone in the audience is thinking the same thing. Its good to also hear, you are good and nice trick but they seem not to have the same meaning.

Way off track here, just its late and after gigs its hard to wind down.

Candini,

What I like to say is that besides being an entertainment, my show is meant to show the potential of the human spirit. I explain I use abilities we all have in my own special way. Rather than try to copy what I am doing, I would hope the spectator would realize that whatever it is he/she is desirious of in life is obtainable and that no goal is impossible.

Richard

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-10 15:05, chmara wrote:

One question -- how did you deal with audience fatigue? Sitting through 80 pieces of material, while not as wearying as performing, could bring a cloud of inattention to the group -- as well as calouses on the buns.

And that brings me to pacing -- during audience member actions -- filling out cards etc. This is one difference between "filll every moment with action magic" and mentalism I continually question. As we stand in front -- and make a few comments while the paperwork is filled out -- how does the silence affect the pace? Fast writers waiting for people who write slowly become board?

Kreskin, when I last saw him, moved about the audience constantly chattering to pass billets and then collect them in the envelopes and seal them for the audience to hold -- allowing the slow writers to seal and sit on the billets they were working on while he moved back to the stage......

As he "gathered his thoughts" on his clipboard he walked three audience members through some card mentalism tricks -- with a few short pauses as he scribbled furiously...and directed applause to the volunteers who ready each other's minds or dealt perfect hands.....etc/

His Answers to questions then followed at a rapid pace -- jumping focus to various audience spots -- quickly passing the misses -- and focusing on detail on the hits.

Then-- in conclusion -- out to the audience again to find his check with Hellstronism.

This-- almost magicianlike - kept the audience engaged without pause.

How would you (or particularly Richard Osterlind) program the huge series of effects now at out disposal on the DVDs into a solid act without gaps and awkward moments of silence????

Chmara,

For your first question, their were actually 2 different audiences over 2 days. The first for ETMMM was a small one and the one for MM2 was a much larger one. Yes, some people were at both. There was a break in between each segment and since there were very few retakes, things moved along pretty good. There was also a break each day for lunch. In addition, we had a lot of fun in between sets where I was joking with the audience.

For your second question about pacing, let me say I approach each performing opportunity according to the size and temperment of the crowd. Since this was a smaller group than a typical stage show, and since they were being videoed, I approached the show like I would a normal TV show. When I do these routines on stage before 200 - 500 people, I move along much faster. Again, I take my lead from Kreskin, the master, and try to keep up a running line of conversation and take advantage of anything that arises. The feeling at this type of show is a lot more like a fast moving stage production than the more cerebral atmosphere of the studio.

I really wish I could tape a live show in front of a larger group, but most companies don't want that! I just got back today from a show for a large construction conglomerate last night and was thinking how that went just as was discussed above.

I hope all that helps.

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-10 15:19, Greg Arce wrote:
I think one thing that's best to learn from Richard's DVDs is how he takes old ideas and gives them a twist here and there. How he can take something from Corinda or Annemann and breath life into it.
How many times on these boards do we see, "what's the latest book or effect out there?" when we should be following Richard's lead and thinking, "let me look into that old, classic stuff and see what treasures I can find inside."
Richard should inspire all of you to constantly read and then reread 13 Steps, Annemann and Tarbell... that is the source of many of the true secrets of magic & mentalism.

Greg

I couldn't agree with you more, Greg. As much as I would like to take credit for all this material, almost all of it is derived from previous works. But I suppose how that has been since the beginning of time! You can't go wrong with the books you have mentioned and what you need to do is just "turn around" a few classic ideas to come up with "new" stuff.

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-10 18:24, Turk wrote:

I just love the original Mind Mysteries series. I am amazed at the little bits of nuance I keep picking up each time I watch them. It is a big mistake to just watch them once and then try to learn the effects being revealed. Look at the audience management, the blocking, the recovery from unexpected audience responses, the clear and precise audience instructions, etc. There is just so much to these DVDs. I look forward to obtaining volumes 5, 6 and 7.

Mike

Mike,

I really appreciate your words. I would hope you might take this approach when viewing these videos. If you were to watch, let's say, a pianist who has been practicing his art for over 30 years, you might want to laud him, but you would also understand that his expertise is simply the result of the amount of time he has put into it. You would also assume that many sour notes were played over those years! If you like what you see on my videos, rest assured that for every good thing, 10 bad things were done first! What I would hope you would see is "experience" and, like my cousin who is a top-rated cabinet maker would say, "If you don't get good at something after doing it your whole life, you had better give up!"

Richard
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 15:17, Richard Osterlind wrote:

I really appreciate your words. I would hope you might take this approach when viewing these videos.***

Richard

No problem, Richard. Just trying to give credit where credit is due and trying to acknowledge the respect that is due while simultaneously both thanking you for your selfless contributions both to magic and to the Café while also trying to widen the perspective and horizon of many on this Café site.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Do the spoon and fork bends require any gimmicks?
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
MMMM....I can't seem to put my thumb on that one...MMMMMM
Or mabe I can!
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Right that's it! Im ordering these babies today (UK)I have all of Richards other DVDS. These will bring me up to date.
Second hand keyboard for sale (see appletruth)
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
343 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 22:04, mattisdx wrote:

No. The fork bend is absolutely wonderful.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-11 22:04, mattisdx wrote:

Mattisdx,

Neither the spoon bend or the multiple fork bend require any gimmicks. I have been bending silverware for a long time now and I have found that if you can't meet a challenge when someone hands your their fork or spoon, your reputation will suffer. So I have tried to stay away from any bending that requires a gimmick.

Let me use this opportunity to mention something about the silverware I use. I do bring my own spoons and forks with me. Sometimes I work at shows where there is no dinner being served and sometimes I work at clubs where their silverware is very special and the management would resent my using their silverware. So I bring out my own stuff and honestly announce that I brought it so as not to use the club's. But I am always ready to bend anything handed to me and usually that is what happens.

Basically, don't take changes in possibly offending someone, but be ready for anything!

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

For those of you who own The Final Answer, I have put up a new idea on my blog at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com. Please check it out!

Richard
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Okay, the vision became clearer to me right before a show today. Its a date:

March 6, 1948

Will someone acknowledge if this means anything (even historical), this is driving me crazy!

Candini
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Other than Richard's birth date, I don't know what it could mean, Candini!

By the way, if you'd like to sign the petition to have Richard's birthday declared a national holiday, just send a SASE.

*jeep!
--Chet (You watch. Somebody will take that seriously.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
On March 6, 1948, Ross Lockeridge asphyxiated himself in the garage of his new home.
He was the author of Raintree County.

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Can the fork bend be done with just 1 fork? Or does it have to be 3 ?
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-12 19:04, mattisdx wrote:
Can the fork bend be done with just 1 fork? Or does it have to be 3 ?

The effect of the fork bend is that 3 forks all melt over like a wilting flower. When you see the explanation you will understand why 3 are used.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Too » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL