The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Stop with the "Muggle" thing!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Tell me if you agree or disagree with this statement- "stop calling laymen muggles, come on guys it's so annoying." Don't ask me why I hate it, I just do. What's your opinion?

If 50 people agree with this statement within the next 2 weeks I am starting an anti-muggle under ground movement.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I have never heard of a laymen being called a muggle...
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I'll sign a petition.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
That's ONE only 49 more to go, we are on our way
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
I will keep calling them Muggles as I feel it is a whole lot less derogatory than Laymen.
Also since I have a Harry Potter style Show it is only appropriate that I do so.

One for my side
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I am definitely against calling them muggles. I will continue to refer to spectators as "those filthy, gullible addle-minded saps".

Wait, is that more offensive than "muggles"?
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I'll sign ... No More Muggles! No More... sorry I just like a cause Smile
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Sign me up. According to the latest Harry Potter adventure (which I have yet to read) magicians like us are Muggles trying to look we can do what they do. Plus the cool thing about an underground movement is I can wear my hat with the light on top. Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Yes I'd like to see it go. The word itself sounds slightly insulting, and it's not used in the proper J K Rowling context anyway, because she meant it distinguish those with real magical abilities from the rest. And since non of us actually have real magical abilities...
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Sounds Like a good idea Joe. I also hate it when magicians call muggles muggles.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27243 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 18:13, BlackShadow wrote:...it distinguish those with real magical abilities from the rest. And since non of us actually have real magical abilities...

If you perform well, to your audience you do have those abilities. And THAT is the purpose of adopting the language. When you perform magic effectively, to your audience there is no explanation, it simply was magic. I recommend we honor that perception and acknowledge your position as one who makes magic (for them). There is nothing derogatory about the term. They are people who do not make or use magic. Calling them layman or the laity has other connotations which puts us as clergy of our arcane rituals and beliefs. I prefer to leave the religiosity out of magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I was wondering when you were going to jump in Jonathan!!!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Lets nip this in the bud.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27243 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there someting in my argument "for" that you find less than useful? If so let's discuss.

Just as an actor must believe in humanity and the characters he works with onstage, I posit that to make magic, we have to belive in it. As Frank's friend might call it, the Intention of Magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
I'm glad most you guys agree, I think the reason most of use hate that word is because its stupid, corny, and nerdy, unless you have a Harry Potter themed show then it's ok, but I'm only talking about using it on the Café.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4170 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 19:24, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Is there someting in my argument "for" that you find less than useful? If so let's discuss.

Just as an actor must believe in humanity and the characters he works with onstage, I posit that to make magic, we have to belive in it. As Frank's friend might call it, the Intention of Magic.

This reminds me of a conversation that Laurence Olivier had with Dustin Hoffman on the set of "Marathon Man". Hoffman's character had been tortured and without sleep for a few days, and to prepare to play the part he went without sleep. When Olivier saw him before shooting, he asked Hoffman if he was OK. Hoffman explained what he had done to prepare for the scene.

Olivier said, "My boy, you should try acting. Its *much* easier."

The only actor who could have said that to Dustin Hoffman (Hoffmann?)....

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Death to Harry Potter!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 17:02, Magicbarry wrote:
I am definitely against calling them muggles. I will continue to refer to spectators as "those filthy, gullible addle-minded saps".

Wait, is that more offensive than "muggles"?

Haha I agree with this.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
^^
Is that a yes or a no for the "m" word? It sounded like a no to me Smile
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Unless they are the smoking type of muggles, then NO...pass it on brother...lol
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Stop with the "Muggle" thing!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL